348 Starter Relay Modification | Page 2 | FerrariChat

348 Starter Relay Modification

Discussion in '348/355' started by Miltonian, Jun 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vinny

vinny Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    R.I.
    Full Name:
    Vincent Pitocco
    Btw,Great thread! I will check my wiring for voltage drop

2. gar348

gar348 Rookie

Jun 20, 2009
    Hello Jeff- I realize that your post was from 2013 but hopefully you are still on FC. So you posted questions regarding the instructions in the WR1 kit vs. the wiring of a 348 but no one ever responded with answers. It looks like you went ahead and connected the kit per the instructions (as shown in the pictures) but you never commented on whether or not it worked. I sure as hell don't want to fry anything in my car!

3. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Since fitting the relay it's never failed to start - not even once (I would get the problem quite regularly especially in hot weather) so its definitely cured it for me :)

4. gar348

gar348 Rookie

Jun 20, 2009
    Thanks for the reply Jeff! My problem is that it won't start when the car is hot. I live in Arizona and this time of years it's over 100 outside and over 120 in my garage. The car will always start fine when it's cold but if I drive it long enough for it to heat up (10 miles or so), then shut it off, all I get is a "click" when I turn the key but the starter doesn't engage or turn. If it's not too hot I can get it to crank over and start if I turn the ignition switch on and off several times. Eventually it will turn crank and start. But if it's good and warmed up it won't crank until it has sat and cooled off for 20 minutes or so. So, I hoping that this relay will fix that.
    OK- I'll follow your instructions and pictures and hope that it works! Looks pretty simple..

5. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I would certainly give it a go as it's very inexpensive to do, easily DIYable and appears to be quite a common fault :)

6. gar348

gar348 Rookie

Jun 20, 2009
    I installed the WR1 kit per the instructions and pictures that you posted and it works great! I took it for a 1/2 hour so run out thru the desert to a nearby town at an outside temp of around 105. On the way back I was coasting down a bit of hill leading back into my town and I therefore knew that I could do a "pop the clutch" start if I had to, so I shut off the engine.. waiting a few seconds.. and turned the key and it started!! I then tried it a couple more times and it every time it cranked over beautifully and started! I pulled into the grocery store and pulled in a parking spot (outer fringe of the lot of course).. shut it off... waited a few seconds.. turned the key and it cranked and started! I went in a grabbed a few groceries and when I came out.. it cranked and started again! This NEVER would happen prior to the installation of the solenoid. What a relief to be able to stop somewhere and have it start again when I come out! Thank you Miltonian, Jeff, and all those who posted here. This problem has been plaguing me for several years now and it was solved for $35 and 1/2 hour installation time!!

ernie likes this.
  7. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thats's a great result :)

The only thing about driving a Ferrari is that you ever break down etc you get absolutely ZERO sympathay!!!! LOL :-(

ernie likes this.
  8. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    So very, very, true.

I once had the idiotic battery bullet connector, under the air box, come lose and cause the car to stop running. This was when I first had the car and didn't know what to look for. Anyway, I was stuck on a freeway off ramp and had a few people roll down thier windows, point at me, and laugh. I though that was funny because I would have done the exact same thing. Even had a trucker blow his horn at me. Bastards! LOL!!!

ILLA NOIZ and taz355 like this.
  9. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Yup been there done that.
    My F1 pump was getting worn had to drive back home in 4 th not an easy task timing lights etc without having to stop on busy streets.
    Had to stop at gate (gated community) gate was down and car stuck in gear.
    Asked for some water (they thought it was for me im sure) poured it on the pump, put in neutral, started and drove home.
    Mweanwhile others at gate were giving me the laughs and nod

10. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I built my relay tonight, and should have it installed in the morning.

Great thread!

sjd

11. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    This might be the single most useful mod for driven cars. It starts so easy now.

When I buy the next one, this will be the first thing I do whether it needs it or not. Mostly, because it needs it.

sjd

Pangea likes this.
  12. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Very helpful still 11 years later. Thanks! :)

steved033 likes this.
  13. pmeert

pmeert Rookie

Sep 13, 2015
    Very helpful still 12 years later. Followed it step by step and works like a dream. Thanx!

steved033 and ernie like this.
  14. solana_sc

solana_sc Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 13, 2009
    SC, USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Oliver
    Still very helpful after 14 years! Works great. Thanks again!

15. DASV8

DASV8 Rookie

Aug 11, 2020
    Dublin, OH
    Full Name:
    Eric C.
    Well add me to the list. Got my car end of November, drove it 3 times and put away for the winter. Woke her up, changed the oil, airbox filter, fixed the broken battery connector and failing hood struts and went to fire her up and just a click when I tried to turn engine over. First time that happened and of course I had just been all over the engine bay. Went back and verified battery, all positive and grounds on the engine and found this thread last night. Was getting 12V at the solenoid signal connector on crank and 12V at the starter +B terminal but still no start. Jumped the solenoid terminal to the starter +B and she fired right up. Relay mod ASAP for me.

16. FloridaIsland348

Aug 5, 2022
    Pensacola Beach
    Full Name:
    Scott Wheatley
    The F-car would not start today, and once again the brotherhood got me back on the road. After researching everything solenoid related I was able to slowly eliminate issues starting with the battery, terminals, those crazy power connectors, rocked the car in gear and tapped the solenoid with a hammer. Then got to this thread and realized I already had this relay installed. Finally I got to a loose connection from the relay to the ignition terminal on the started solenoid. Cleaned it, 22ed it, and re-crimped. Friday night has been saved.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.
  17. seabass23

seabass23 Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    St Albert, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I'm capturing this here as an alert to anyone with a CANADIAN spec 348. I installed this relay and had issues with my daytime running lights and, most critically, my brakes!

Miro explains the issue that I encountered here in great detail (Post 59): Brake Pump Runs before startup but won't run AFTER startup!

This should ONLY affect Canadian-spec cars since they were modified by factory with two additional relays related to the DRLs. The two relays were added in an auxiliary holder and attached to the panel in the front trunk. If you have these relays, be informed before attempting this modification.

Miro also provides us Canadians with a solution so that the starter relay modification can still be achieved! He recommends using a motorcycle relay instead of the cube-style automotive relay (I have not tested this yet).

18. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Just to add: motorcycle starter relay.