348 Technical Questions | FerrariChat

348 Technical Questions

Discussion in '348/355' started by Jim Riggs, Feb 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jim Riggs

Jim Riggs Karting

Jan 25, 2004
    I just purchased a 348 SS (90/100) and I had several questions that I'd like some help on.
    1. What is the best way to put my F-car onto jack stands? I have a floor jack, but I am unsure how to lift it. Will the floor jack fit under the 348 SS or do you have to drive it up on something before attempting to lift it with a floor jack? What is the best structure to lift the front end and rear end using a floor jack?
    2. I noticed in the owner's manual that there was a reference that the gas tank holds 23.8 gallons, but the low gas level sensor comes on after I have used about 17-18 gallons. Is this right? Also, the owners manual refers to a reserve tank. Is there really a reserve gas tank on 348's?
    3. My F-car has been using Agrip 10W-40 engine oil. Is it possible to switch to a synthetic oil like Mobil-1? I have heard that some racers swear by synthetic oil. Does a synthetic oil make sense for 348's?
    4. Where is the best place to purhcase oil filters, air filters, spark plugs, and other maintenace items for F-cars?
    5. What is the best wax for a 348?
    Information on any or all of these questions is greatly appreciated!

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Jim -- The #2 confusion is a result of poor language translation. It isn't "23.8 gallons + X gallons reserve", but rather should be something like "23.8 gallons total of which X gallons is considered the reserve" (so your system is working normally).

3. SeaBayR

SeaBayR Karting

Sep 15, 2003
    On the Chesapeake
    There is a set of posts a few weeks ago about Jackstand positions. Something like just behing the front wheels, on the brace, and either on the ends of the rear cross brace (not the mounts/engine). or the frame rail infront of the engine. I don't remember with out looking, do check

Do a search and it should come up

4. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    To answer the second question first, yes, it does make sense. Agip Sint 2000 is a fully synthetic oil. I recommend continued use. If you do desire change, yes, stick with a fully synthetic 10w-40, as the car was designed for it.

Best regards,

Rob Schermerhorn