News

348 Technical Questions

Discussion in '348/355' started by Jim Riggs, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Jim Riggs

Jim Riggs Karting

Jan 25, 2004
    I just purchased a 348 SS (90/100) and I had several questions that I'd like some help on.
    1. What is the best way to put my F-car onto jack stands? I have a floor jack, but I am unsure how to lift it. Will the floor jack fit under the 348 SS or do you have to drive it up on something before attempting to lift it with a floor jack? What is the best structure to lift the front end and rear end using a floor jack?
    2. I noticed in the owner's manual that there was a reference that the gas tank holds 23.8 gallons, but the low gas level sensor comes on after I have used about 17-18 gallons. Is this right? Also, the owners manual refers to a reserve tank. Is there really a reserve gas tank on 348's?
    3. My F-car has been using Agrip 10W-40 engine oil. Is it possible to switch to a synthetic oil like Mobil-1? I have heard that some racers swear by synthetic oil. Does a synthetic oil make sense for 348's?
    4. Where is the best place to purhcase oil filters, air filters, spark plugs, and other maintenace items for F-cars?
    5. What is the best wax for a 348?
    Information on any or all of these questions is greatly appreciated!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Jim -- The #2 confusion is a result of poor language translation. It isn't "23.8 gallons + X gallons reserve", but rather should be something like "23.8 gallons total of which X gallons is considered the reserve" (so your system is working normally).

4. SeaBayR

SeaBayR Karting

Sep 15, 2003
    On the Chesapeake
    There is a set of posts a few weeks ago about Jackstand positions. Something like just behing the front wheels, on the brace, and either on the ends of the rear cross brace (not the mounts/engine). or the frame rail infront of the engine. I don't remember with out looking, do check

Do a search and it should come up

5. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    To answer the second question first, yes, it does make sense. Agip Sint 2000 is a fully synthetic oil. I recommend continued use. If you do desire change, yes, stick with a fully synthetic 10w-40, as the car was designed for it.

Best regards,

Rob Schermerhorn