348 timing chain tensioner | FerrariChat

348 timing chain tensioner

Discussion in '348/355' started by MaterMech, Jun 20, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MaterMech

MaterMech Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2007
    Los Gatos CA
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    #1 MaterMech, Jun 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ok so I decided to have a look see at my timing chain components. I am confused by the new chain tensioner I recieved. There are a few differences between the old and the new. The parts diagram does not show the internals of this part so I am hoping some of the vets can provide some info. The new part did not come with the tit that rides on the end of the spring. If the tit is not used, oil would be allowed to flow freely through the hole that is drilled through the metal support. There is a restrictor in the main housing, which I did not take a picture of, so I am not worried about loosing engine oil pressure. I am worried that if the tit is not there then there will be less oil pressure pushing on the pad itself. There was tape on the box so I'm wondering it was ever opened up and the part lost. I know there were several changes to the timing chain system so I suspect that this was a way to get more oil to the chain pad interface. Another interesting thing is that the round metal tube butted up against the pad materil in the old part where as it's spaced away from the pad material in the new part. This would cause oil to run down the side of the pad and be picked up by the chain rather than being delivered directly to the pad chain interface via the hole that was drilled staight through. Pheww did I get everything? Oh yeah my engine # was above the number specified by the TSB for the bearing. I'm sure there were more TSB's but as a group we seem to only have access to that one. What was the red part that came with the new one? I see no purpose for it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login