348 transaxle disassembly question | FerrariChat

348 transaxle disassembly question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by spider348, Jan 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Disassembling my transaxle. Minor problem.
    Removed the ring nut from the Layshaft on the bearing side and the ring nut from the main shaft on the oil pump side, diagonal location to each other.
    The other 2 ring nuts will not loosen. Have made some wedges from oak. Wedged the gears but still no luck. Just a case full of oak shavings to clean up.
    The ring nuts that I removed rotate in the same direction relative to the ring nuts. Direction would tighten the nuts.
    The other 2 ring nuts rotate in the opposite direction. They are also the same part #, the 2 I loosened are different part #’s.
    Are 2 of the ring nuts a left hand/ reverse thread?
    Also, the workshop manual recommends engaging 2 speeds to lock the transaxle when the ring nuts are to be tightened. I will try this to aid in removing the remaining ring nuts.
    Thanks for the help.

2. Dr_ferrari

Dr_ferrari Formula 3
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 2, 2003
    Pocono Sportscar
    Full Name:
    Jim McGee
    You are correct. the other two are reverse thread.
    Also, engaging two gear synchros will lock the shafts and assist with removal of the nuts as you have noted.

good luck and best regards, Jim

3. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Thank you Jim. Also employed low heat to soften the loctite used by the factory.
    John

4. Dr_ferrari

Dr_ferrari Formula 3
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 2, 2003
    Pocono Sportscar
    Full Name:
    Jim McGee
    very good idea with the heat. As long as you go easy with a good size breaker bar you will have no problem. Just no air tools.

good luck, Jim

5. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    What do you mean by engaging two speeds?

vincent

6. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Vincent, I engage 2nd gear and 3rd at the same time. The differing ratios will lock the transaxle. The shafts cannot turn with 2 different speeds engaged. Engage gears by sliding the synchro sleeve over the appropriate synchro. Especially required at assembly. The ring nut tightening torque is quite high!

7. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Thanks

Vincent.