355 Alternator Questions | FerrariChat

355 Alternator Questions

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ghost, May 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Two questions guys:

(1)
    Could somebody please inform me what a 355 alternator's ampere rating is? I'm thinking of installing a 500W x 4 channel amplifier as part of a stereo setup, and I wanted to know how much reserve current capacity the car has, so as to determine if it can support the amplifier output.

(2)
    parkerfe had posted the following comment, when discussing the rebuilding of alternators:

"The two rebuilt alternators made such a difference in the power delivery on my Boxer, it's like driving a different car! It just revs and revs with no end in sight where before it starting getting flat at 6k rpm or so..."

Can somebody explain the connection between alternator capacity as it relates to effects on the power curve? In other words, how can I expect using up 'excess' alternator capacity to affect performance.

Many thanks.

2. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    It's a Nippondenso 140 amp rated

MW

3. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    ghost, in my case my alternators were not putting the designed amount of current to power my ignition and FI system . That is why my performance increased after the alternators were rebuilt. So, if your new stereo draws too much power, it could rob current from the ignition an d FI systems which will affect your performance.