355 alternator replacement | FerrariChat

355 alternator replacement

Discussion in '348/355' started by AZLambo, Sep 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AZLambo

AZLambo Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I've got a '95 F355 that is on its 3rd alternator......and yes, I had the grounding strap put on with the second one. Well, the battery light has come on again, two years after the last alternator was put in. I have the core of the last bad unit and am thinking of getting it rebuilt. My questions are: Can any auto electric place rebuild it? It's a Nippondenso 140 amp unit.
    Also, can I replace the alternator myself? I am guessing that some of the undertray panels need to be removed (as in an oil change, which I do myself). Can I then get to the alternator, and get to the lock nut and tensioner adjuster on the tension adjustment pulley? Do I need to have a belt tension gauge or is the belt tension that critical?

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Jeff,
    I will mention that the ND alternator appears to have a not particularly robust voltage regulator, based on posts here and on the other site. My buddy had his ND alternator rebuilt earlier this year, and was told by Romain Electric, that there is a aftermarket voltage regulator made for the ND brand alternators that is supposedly a "heavy duty" unit and more robust. You may wish to inquire on this, when having yours rebuilt (my buddy elected to just go with the stock ND part.)

http://www.romaineelectric.com/

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA