355 Challenge cars | FerrariChat

355 Challenge cars

Discussion in '348/355' started by 1taliantrash, Apr 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1taliantrash

1taliantrash Karting
    BANNED

Dec 30, 2017
    Anyone ever see a factory 355 challenge car that wasn't used on the track? 7000miles from new, wondering what the market thinks or knows it's worth. Also a raced one with 20k miles available that still has all the factory challenge bits is available and probably under $100k.

2. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
  3. 1taliantrash

1taliantrash Karting
    BANNED

Dec 30, 2017
    The one with 20k miles is a no brainer under 100k right

4. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    #4 Yassa, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    Challenge car history makes all the difference, as does street legality. 20k miles of racing seems high. I believe the market for challenge cars is soft at the moment and sub 100k challenge cars are not unheard of but not the norm either. Cars in recent auctions as well as online have failed to move at the higher ask prices from what I've seen. It all depends on the car, race history, original parts, etc. I've been looking for one also so know if quite a few on the market at the moment.

5. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    You might want to move this to the Challenge section if you want authoritative feedback.

Robb likes this.
  6. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

I'll take anyone you can find under 100k. I will buy everyone of them in existence.

Send them my way :)

mclaudio, Robb and Yassa like this.
  7. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I doubt you will find any F355 challenge for sale less than 125k unless they are missing half the car after a bad accident... there are simply not that many of them out there. 300 worldwide that raced in the series - many of those gone.... Only 100 of those being factory cars. And with a challenge car, owners can now enter the world of ‘historic series’ official factory racing. So it can be your golden ticket without spending a million.

Most cars will still sell in that 130-155 range with many impressive cars still priced well above that.

Fiorano edition 355 spiders have asking prices above 100 and there were 100 of those cars as a (not exactly comparative) guide.

More than half the country is still in winter. Give it time to warm up for those with the bug to go racing. Prices will only be going up.

True that there is a lull currently and that also applies to street Ferrari’s. When the dollar falls against the euro or the stock market drops value, buyers will return to park their money in rare and unique Ferrari’s.

Robb

slracing and mclaudio like this.
  8. Yellow Compass

Yellow Compass F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 23, 2015
    NYC Area
    Full Name:
    Yellow Compass Supercars
    Hi Robb ,very well stated and agreed:)

9. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    I wasn't trying to devalue these amazing cars and I hope my post didn't come across that way, it just seems to me these cars are not moving at the current ask prices from private sellers, dealers or at auction and there are several examples out there between 130k to 250k over the last year to prove this. There's an example from Daytona Auto that was brought up from Ferrari of Houston and was raced out of Venezuela but has sat at 130k for ages now. Not the best challenge car history and not road legal but still.

So does anyone have any data points for actual 355 challenge sales in the last 6-12 months? I'm genuinely interested.

10. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    It seems the OP was trolling and has similar threads all of Fchat in other forums but a discussion on current 355 Challenge sales prices is still something cool to have :D.

11. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I didn’t take your post as a negative. Lots of viewpoints out there. All worth listening to.

My 2c

Main issue is F355 challenge don’t come up in an auction setting very often in the US so there are not a lot of data points. There are only around 80 F355 challenge cars in the US and Canada. Only about 20 of those are factory cars. Around 10 of those 20 that are Evoluzione’s. Say that again for effect. There are many more sold in Europe where track time seems more prevalent and where more possible buyers wanting to regularly get on track are located.

You can’t really count the auctions at Bring A Trailer or the smaller state Mecum auctions because those aren’t where buyers historically come out specifically to outbid another for a Ferrari... it’s more like a “since we’re here” and didn’t win the muscle car bid... the cars you see there do have a reserve and are from individuals testing the water or not fully aware of their potential value.

I’m only aware of around (5)F355 challenge cars looking for buyers (only) if the price is right in the US. Many of those cars were bought at a lower price (like many Ferrari’s in the last 3 years, and their owners are looking at their current needs and weighing an opportunity to cash-in. Many of those cars also had work done to improve their condition. Nothing wrong with that. The owners didn’t flip them two weeks later. They’ve enjoyed the experience and might be wanting to try something else like many on F-chat.

I’ve been called by multiple auctioneers reps who have seen my ad in Hemings. I’m talking the big auction houses. I had to ask them to take me off their call list because it became annoying to hear from them every week... they’d love to list our challenge car. And without a reserve... and throw in transport to a far away location that is not one of the three big auctions... and throw in an entry charge for ‘advertising’. Because the market has proven down for most Ferrari’s at auction the last 1-2 years, why exactly would a challenge car owner take it to auction in this time? I think only if they really needed to sell. Most challenge owners don’t need to sell. It’s not their only fun car. It’s the right tool for Ferrari owners to enjoy at the limit and maintain without using up their street car. Better to take the time to find a win / win for both buyer and seller. So I wouldn’t wait too long on a pattern to establish at the auctions on these cars.

Time will show that challenge cars will be more and more sought after as a second or third Ferrari add for a Tiflosi. There is a finite - low amount out there. And the cars are special. Why do you think there is such a rush when a “barn find” challenge car comes up - whether it needs work or not? Right. The horse is out of the barn. It’s because it’s desirable and the prices will not be going through the floor any longer. Just like Porsche cup cars. :)

Robb

mclaudio likes this.
  12. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    I see your point and I appreciate it and I agree. There are just too few cars on this side of the pond to validate price and they are all different in many respects and no one's desperate to offload. I guess 130-150k is probably the current sweet spot. I'll keep my eyes open for a unicorn sub 130k...gotta get a good deal innit :)

13. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Another perspective on what, how I bought last 40 years

I just like old factory style street legal race cars. Ferrari, Ford, Jaguar, MG, AMC just dont matter to me. As far as being a "Ferrari Fan" I am not, just happen to have 4 right now. Just a race car fan.
    One thing I learned over the years is if you like it buy it. Once you put a price on things all the fun goes away.

mclaudio and Yassa like this.
  14. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian

Well if you ever do put a price on your yellow 348 Challenge you know who to get a hold of.

SoCal1 and Robb like this.
  15. 1taliantrash

1taliantrash Karting
    BANNED

Dec 30, 2017
    Hey Socal1 were you up in Pasadena yesterday with any cars?

16. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #16 GerryD, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    What I don't understand is why there are 355Challenge cars being sold for upwards of 150,000 Euros in Europe and yet they dont bother coming over here to buy the 4 or 5 for sale for much less. The day will come when they do and these cars will shoot up over 300,000USD and many in here will be wondering why they didnt see it and it won't matter what the history is as long as they can get one. There just are not many around. Just look at the Dino, 9-10 years ago they could be had for 50 to 60 gs and there were many more of those built compared to the 355 Challenge.

mclaudio, Robb, Yassa and 1 other person like this.
  17. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

Sorry no, spent the day in hollywood with friends

18. 1taliantrash

1taliantrash Karting
    BANNED

Dec 30, 2017
    I agree with you Gerry. These are the last factory produced race cars with a gated shifter in extremely low numbers trading for the price of street cars of which they made thousands. Look at the Porsche Cup cars of the era they are well above what these are going for. And don't tell me its because ferrari servicing is so much more than on a Porsche cup car because the shops working on those are charging a small fortune for everything too.