355: Did you know this about the suspension setting? I can’t believe this! | FerrariChat

355: Did you know this about the suspension setting? I can’t believe this!

Discussion in '348/355' started by 348SStb, Mar 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Please vote your thoughts about the suspension setting selector.

1. Wow! I had not known this about the suspension setting selector.

2. Actually, I did know this about the suspension setting selector.

3. Hey Dave -- how could you not have known this?

4. The Ferrari Owner’s Manual is incorrect / I don't believe the Manual.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

#1 348SStb, Mar 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well I couldn’t sleep tonight, so I figured I’d whip out the old 355 Owner’s Manual (and related books) and see how many hilarious misspellings and invented grammatical expressions I could find. I’ll get back to this point in just a minute!

But here’s something pretty unbelievable that I discovered while combing the Owner’s Manual. It pertains to the suspension button that we push when we think we are putting the car into “Sport” mode. According to the Owner’s Manual (model year 1995 at least), the amber light on the dashboard that illuminates when the suspension button is pressed (in the downward position) indicates that the car is in COMFORT mode!

I can’t believe this! Isn’t it common sense to imagine that the default setting is the comfort setting? I always figured that when I press the button downward and see the amber light on the dashboard illuminate, I was then in Sport mode. Apparently, the default setting (with no light illuminated) is the SPORT setting.

What do you guys think about this?

Oh, and I ran out of space on my little Post-It square sheet after having tallied every mistake (spelling, grammar, etc.) I encountered in the original Ferrari books. Perhaps the most hysterical mistake is that Ferrari seemed to think that St. Louis was in “Montana.” Ha! This is in the “Sales and Service Organization” book indicating all the dealers around the world. The abbreviation for Missouri may be MO, but MO is certainly not Montana! (Not a knock on Montana -- I love Big Sky Country :) )

Please vote in the poll!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tashier

tashier Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Pretty funny stuff. I too was assuming that the indicator on meant sport mode, I hadn't looked it up. Thanks for the clarification. I can't say I really feel a difference between the two but it may be that mine are all broken. I know the adjusters deals on the shock towers are known to break.

3. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

#3 348SStb, Mar 15, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  4. MaterMech

MaterMech Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2007
    Los Gatos CA
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    It's a Ferrari so think Italian! Sport is the default and comfort is.....well who needs comfort in a Ferrari? Lol maybe 2+2 owners will argue with me. :)

5. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    #5 cuneo, Mar 15, 2009
    Maybe your car is dropped to it's lowest suspension height? Mine was and I couldn't tell any difference between sport and comfort when driving. I had the suspension reset to the stock ride height and I now can definitely feel a difference, though it's only rebound that is affected, as told to me by more knowledgable folk. The car is much more liveable now, so I don't freak out every time a ripple in the pavement looms ahead, and boonie gas-station driveways no longer cause a near coronary.

And yeah, the light is counter-intuitive but so is building a race-car for the street. :) Gotta love the Italianos, we do it BIG yo.

6. MaterMech

MaterMech Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2007
    Los Gatos CA
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
  7. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #7 saw1998, Mar 15, 2009
    I haven't read all the links listed in this Thread, but I would assume it is a typical Ferrari typographical error. My 1998 OM indicates that the amber light is illuminated when you put the suspension in "Sport" mode. The light goes out when you return to "Comfort" mode.

At least this is a pretty innocuous mistake. I remember the WSM had the incorrect valve lash settings for the 2 valve and 4 valve 308 models. Now that is inexcusable.

8. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Is your car an F1?

9. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    My amber light actually says "SPORT" on it on the dash. My car is a '99....and it definitely feels stiffer when the light is illuminated.

10. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

F1? Spider or coupe/GTS?

11. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    When did St Louis get moved to Montana? :)

12. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Same here, but 98 and I have an F1....When the Sport light is on in my car, it is def. in Sport mode..

13. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I'm sorry for the delay. I just saw your post. I have a 1998 6-speed manual.

14. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    dont hold me to this but i think the 95s (obd1) cars are the opposite of 96+ (obd2). In the 95s, when the light is on the dash, its on comfort. My 95 feels softer when the light is on. And apparently on 96+ when the light is on its in sport mode. we are going back a few years but thats what i remember from posts on the board.

15. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    I have a 99 F1 and when the light is on it is certainly in sport mode the difference is noticeable but not dramatic

16. marioz

marioz Formula 3

Nov 21, 2003
    Cedar Mills,Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mario
    #16 marioz, Mar 15, 2009
    I can’t believe this! Isn’t it common sense to imagine that the default setting is the comfort setting? I always figured that when I press the button downward and see the amber light on the dashboard illuminate, I was then in Sport mode. Apparently, the default setting (with no light illuminated) is the SPORT setting.

!!!!!!!WHAT!!!!!

I drive in Sport setting all the time & I sure as hell don't want that light all the time. If I want comfort I'll drive the sedan. Why would anyone NOT want maximun performance all the time. Is that not why we buy Ferraris?

17. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    F1 Spider

18. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    My 96 is in Sport by default. The button/light activate with Comfort.

19. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    I figured this out pretty fast and was also amazed that light on meant the comfort mode.
    It did make sense as when I took delivery of my 95 spider I had to drive home on I-5 which is in pretty bad shape
    and having the light off (didn't know it meant sport at the time) made the car a hand full dealing with the ruts and
    poor surface.

I wonder how many light bulbs get burned out because this is the default setting???

20. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    I wanted to reiterate, I know for a fact that the light on is comfort mode.
    I've gone over the same expansion joints in the freeway and it is way harsher with the light out (sport mode)

Again I have a 95 spider, so the manual agrees with what I experience.

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    very strange, I swear light on is the sport mode on my 1995 Challenge. it tightens everything up, stiffer, and more precise steering. that has to be the way it is because if you disconnect the battery like I do between races the default is the non-lighted "soft" I assume. You have to actually flip it to get the dash light and what feels like tighter settings.

funny story, I have owned the 355 Challenge since 2003 and just last year for the first time was told (figured out) there is a suspension setting! I had raced the car dozens of times over 5 years never noticing the switch or knowing the 355 was adjustable.

22. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I thought that indicator was for a curling iron being being plugged in???
    :D
    BT

23. ronrob

ronrob Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2007
    Var, S.E. France
    Full Name:
    Ronald Brown
    I agree that I found it strange at first (switch pulled towards driver to give illuminated shocker light on dash and car therefore in "comfort" mode). However, maybe the thinking behind it is that the car is at its optimum setting in terms of drivability ("sport" mode) with no lights whatsoever showing on the dash.
    In other words, the light is there to remind the driver that the car is not in its best handling state.......?

24. lotusdude

lotusdude Karting

Jul 31, 2008
    Fort Worth TX
    Full Name:
    Jake Miller
    mines dropped so never can tell the difference either way

25. ferrari.ace

ferrari.ace Karting

May 25, 2006
    So.Cal.
    Full Name:
    Adam Cox

Above applies to '95 only, '96 and later are the opposite.