355. Thoughts on colour.. | FerrariChat

355. Thoughts on colour..

Discussion in '348/355' started by MrMoonyMan, Jan 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MrMoonyMan

MrMoonyMan Rookie

Apr 28, 2018
    Good afternoon all.

My second post and I'll apologise now for another buying/values related post. I promise once I have one I'll post more interesting subjects such as stick interiors and exhaust choices!

I am considering a two 355s at the moment. One, a red challenge spec car (not original challenge though) and the other a Nero car with contrasting interiors.

I am quite aware that red is lnow as 'resale red' on these and most Ferraris. However some models do work in other colours - a 550 in tdf blue for example is just perfect; far nicer than red on that model in my opinion.

My question is this. If I do go for the black car. What difference in current and future values should I expect over a similar red one? Would you consider black on a 355?

Thanks again for your help

2. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    I have completed an in-depth analysis regarding purchase of a Nero F355.

The outcome of my exhaustive analysis is now parked in my garage, as shown in the photo.

Hope this helps.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

ShineKen, Pengster355, WJC and 7 others like this.
  3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  4. allandwf

allandwf Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2011
    Scotland UK
    I don't think there is such a difference these days as there once was. Buy what YOU want, but if it was me I'd go Nero ;)

MrMoonyMan likes this.
  5. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Regarding the black car, what does “contrasting interior” mean?

355s work in a lot of colors besides red. While I love blue, (my 348 is blue), I’m not a huge fan of TdF really.....but TdF 355s are out there.

I’d open yourself up to more cars than just these two.

MrMoonyMan likes this.
  6. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    What was involved in the `Challenge spec` conversion? Does that mean it has a rollcage, racing seats, wing etc? That would make the color the least consequential difference between the two cars. I`ve had a black F355 and have a Rosso Corsa one now.. as long as it`s a sorted car, either will drive, sound and look amazing :)

Yassa, MrMoonyMan and The Outcast like this.
  7. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I know value is important to you, and it's great to see you diving into the adventure of your first Ferrari! The emotional joy and attachment to your car should far outweigh the financial benefit. I recommend getting the one you most like. Personally I think the 355 looks amazing in green...

MrMoonyMan likes this.
  8. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I bought the cheapest one I could find off the internet and it was black.
    Then when I went to pick it up and looked at the red beside the black.
    I bought the black

Almost 15 years later I cannot figure out why it was 15 k cheaper. I would pay more now for black but I had previously owned a black daily driver and I hated cleaning it.
    When you generally only drive on sunny days and fast (by accident of course) you car stays way cleaner the dust does not seem to stick.

MrMoonyMan, Dave rocks and Robb like this.
  9. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    ShineKen and JohnsonsMedia like this.
  10. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    To me the only consideration is keeping a gloss black car clean.

F355 are very sharp in black.

Multiple owners here have 355 in both black and red...... in the same garage.

Robb

11. DarkHorseTerence

Oct 25, 2012
    Summed up perfectly! I don't think a Ferrari should be taken on for financial reasons....but appreciate everyone has their own motivations for anything in life.... however you are open to many variables more important than colour - history, unforeseen bills, prior maintenance, luck! etc etc. A Ferrari is about passion and how it makes you feel. When you look at it, when you hear it, when you drive it.

Some stunning pictures here posted of Nero cars....gorgeous!

(I have a blue GTS which to me is PERFECT)

The advantage of the 355 is that it is an inherently beautiful design!

More pertinent question is probably which colour DOESNT a 355 look amazing in?!

MrMoonyMan likes this.
  12. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I dont like to see them in charcoal

13. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Rust as well

MrMoonyMan likes this.
  14. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Here is an insider secret: they look amazing in any color! :D

Robb likes this.
  15. MrMoonyMan

MrMoonyMan Rookie

Apr 28, 2018
    Well. Having checked the final results of your analysis I'd say should be just fine. :)

Thank you Dave. Car looks very good indeed.

If I get it I may well be onto you about a few of the sticky bits. Do you have a price guide anywhere?
    Yes. Black can be a pain to keep looking good. This would be a sunny days only car so that should hopefully make it easier. My winter daily is black too
    Thank you for the advice - I must confess I do think that they look very sleek in black. Side profile especially seems to work.
    I have been looking at quite a few others including a silver one. Budget is going to be the over riding factor for me here. If it wasn't I would be asking you gents about that gorgeous Blue Nart pearl one that is also advertised. Stunning colour.

By contrasting interior I mean not black. The car I am looking at has Cuoio Naturale Leather.

taz355 likes this.
  16. MrMoonyMan

MrMoonyMan Rookie

Apr 28, 2018
    You're totally correct. The challenge car was the right budget but would not have been right for me and my intended use. It had all the usual challenge spec bar the big wing and had been used in a few championships. I already have a track car so am not looking to use the 355 on track, just the Alps!

Absolutely spot on. And thank you. I am a big fan of the 348, 355, 550 and F40. Of those only two fit my budget so as crass as it is to discuss money I have to be realistic.

My feelings on the 355s current pricing is that they are as low as they are ever likely to go and are in fact quite under valued at the moment. Hence wanting to make the jump into ownership.

I am currently working my way through the service history and recent bills on this particular car. It has part English and part Italian history so I am using Google translate!
    Yours looks great. And gives me hope for my purchase. Thanks.
    Very nice indeed. The BBS' look very nice on that. Interesting to think of after market wheels on these.

Yes. Will be keeping a firm eye for that. This one needs the base of one of the buttresses repainting which seems to be a common issue on the 355.

17. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Oooooo,
    get the silver one! Silver 348s and 355s are stunning. Don’t do cuoio, ewwww. Like driving in poop. haha.

18. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Please email me at: dave.lelonek@**********.com

Regarding black, for my Ferrari, I wash it every second or third drive. Now, I have a Maserati GT as my DD for summer and it's black too, but it's metallic. They helps hide dust just a little bit.

In summary, just plan to wash the car a lot :)

19. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Buy what you like at the moment

Personally I have no preference Ferraris are very conservative colors

MrMoonyMan likes this.
  20. MrMoonyMan

MrMoonyMan Rookie

Apr 28, 2018
    Ha. You and I will have to agree to disagree there.. I am no fan of Silver cars and I quite like the look of that Cuoio :)
    Thanks Dave. Will hold off e-mailing you for the moment until I have a specific bit of work needing doing etc. Cheers though.

21. Redlyne_mr2

Redlyne_mr2 Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2009
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Ryan D
    Money comes and goes, buy the car you like.

ShineKen and MrMoonyMan like this.