355 values - I just don't get it | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 values - I just don't get it

Discussion in '348/355' started by Dave rocks, Dec 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Was that way for a long time. BBs and TRs were in the 70s-80s for years. No one seemed to want them due to engine out service.

Now, TRs have just within the past couple years been consistently over $100k. BBs just plain took off.

Not even talking about the GTC/4 (which did the same) or the still under $100k 400/412, 456, and some 550s. We shouldn’t really compare to those imho.

2. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    It's an Italian car. Forever since the beginning of time have been extremely erratic values.
    Maintenance, reliability, perception to new vehicle trends wack them every time. This is why most every used car dealer has stayed away from them for as long as I can remember. trade in this Italian car for a toyota? No thanks we dont take that brand in on trade truth

3. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    993tt is a little -quicker- stock (and of course much easier to get additional performance with minor mods and tuning.)

Attached is a period test from C&D. My car stock with y-pipe and muffler was 12.6 @114 so pretty close unless those mods are really worth a significant amount of power. I think the nature of the 993tt makes it easier to get standing start performance and not sure if C&D would launch a brand new Ferrari at 7000rpm? Maybe?

993 edges it out in braking. F355 better skidpad and if it matters to anyone edges it out in top speed.

I think the F355 is in the same ballpark and not bad considering it's a naturally aspirated 3.5l vs a twin turbo 3.6l.

Agreed 993 is better build quality, it is a vault. Also agreed on less maintenance cost but the price delta would probably pay for the next 20 years+ in F355 maintenance.

Whats a low mile 993tt go for? Around 200k?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    Have any of you seen a Testarossa out in the wild, on the road? Like the 348, they don't photograph well. Their measured dimensions don't reflect how they actually look, especially when seen in traffic amongst modern cars. I've seen a red Testarossa on the road a few times around here (same car?), and every time, I'm shocked and mesmerized. It doesn't wear off. They are impossibly wide, low, and dramatic. Super exotic, like from another planet! Only contemporary car that is in the same league is the Countach, which is now 3X the cost of the Testarossa. Factor in the "big" Ferrari's mid engine flat-12, and I'm surprised they're valued AS LOW AS $100K. Amazing cars!

5. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I've seen several - I like them but no way as much as my 355's :)

6. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I’ve driven a TR and wasn’t impressed. It pulled great and the 12 feels really good, that’s the extent of it. The car is heavy, big and doesn’t feel at all like a sports car. Maybe that’s because it’s a GT car.

I’ve also driven a 512 BBi and loved it. Feels lighter, smaller, more nimble. Kind of like a larger 308 with POWER.

To pay for expensive service, I’d buy the 355 or BB. Both are much more fun than a TR.

sjmst and G. Pepper like this.
  7. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Almost bought the BB at 100k but didn’t want the engine out thing. Later bought a 355 after watching the BB soar in value, which showed the market doesn’t care about the cost of engine out services if the car is perceived to be worth it.

Dave rocks and Yassa like this.
  8. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    The 355 isn't a rare car. Sure it is much more rare than a Toyota Camry but it wasn't artificially limited to certain numbers or customers like other cars. Intrinsically they are the same value when you melt them down for scrap. Actually the Camry might be worth more. We are all talking tulip bulbs and beanie babies in that the values are propped up based on desire. So where is the value? Currently there isn't much demand therefore the value is lower. Can it go lower? Yes of course it can but it can also go higher. The reality though is that there will always be a limit to the value of something that is readily available. If you live in an are know for an event or location you may have not even been there or go rarely. You don't have a burning need because it will always be there.

Currently the car is in limbo for a valuation in that it isn't new enough anymore. It's a much better idea mathematically to buy an F430. It's about the same price, significantly less to maintain, faster, better amenities, and looks more modern. Many people might mistake a 2008 F430 for a brand new style. So those that want a Ferrari just to have one, they aren't buying 355's. Collectors are out because they made too many. So now what? Well there are the "Bedroom poster" crowd. These are the folks that dreamed one day of owning one. It's burned in their brain. These are people that were primarily born in the 70's and 80's. Right now they still have kids at home or are in mid-career. They haven't quite gone over the hump of to self indulgence, mid-life, or whatever. As the world economy goes up after it's next down cycle, these people will have the time and money to buy their dream cars. That is when the value will go up. There should also be less available stock. The value though will be for the best examples. A 75k mile green 1996 convertible is probably not going to be the most valuable.

One other point is that the cost of the car to hold, maintain, and insure will far outweigh any increase in value as compared to similar investment in the market. If you want to make money in collector cars, buy a rare one.

For those that read this far, also keep in mind of the endowment affect. The general definition is that because you own a product/item, it makes you believe that it is more valuable. Because you own a TR means you question whether the general value was really under $100k for a long time, or that you own a 355 that is in a horrible color that it is still worth close to pristine versions as it is relatively the same. That the fact you have a "one of..." or "best color..." etc. that it is worth more than it really is. Part of the reason for the current value of the 355 is that the current owners think they are worth quite a bit and they don't need to sell them. They aren't a daily driver and they don't care to ever get rid of them. This will keep the values propped up.

We tend to think that what we want is special and that when we pick something, especially if it was hard earned, that it is worth more than it probably is really. The car is worth what someone will pay. If nobody is willing to pay $120k for a 30k F355, then it isn't worth it. These cars aren't desirably new, they aren't extremely rare, and there is still a stigma about maintenance that stops people before they fall in love with it.

Having said that, luckily I have a rare black and tan 1995 6 speed so it's probably worth $140k but I'd take close offers. ;) Have fun!

9. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If the car and driver is accurate the TT 0-60 and 1/4 mile performance is quite a bit better than the F355's. Jim, with regards to your car, that is pretty close. Well we both know that the 95's are faster and make more hp. :)

rcnyc likes this.
  10. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Nicely stated.

I have had my early Pantera for 27 years. These cars languished in anonymity for years. The cars have been appreciating slowly over the years, but have gone up a fair amount in recent years. So, there is always hope for the F355.

I should have purchased any of these cars 6 years ago instead of my F355.(512TR, 993TT, GT5-S) as far as an investment goes. Hindsight is always 20/20. :)

11. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Yeah, but they made a ton of Turbo 930 and 911’s. It was the 30 year mark that drove those. The limited production late model 89 911 turbo 5 speed is the rare bird for that series. Then the 993TT and 964 3.6 are low production compared to 355.

Yeah, the 355 is more plentiful than others, but 8xx GTS cars seems pretty rare to me.

I agree the car the mostly likely to keep and own is the gated 430 for appreciation and rarity. Would be the car I want, but not at today’s prices and they are not really coming down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I had a 1989 930Turbo as you described that I sold to get a Din0 GT. They only made about 600 of those in coupe form for the USA. I bought it for 43k in 2010 and sold it last year for 122k. There are about 5,000 993tt FYI.

I buy all my cars as a poster boy. There are a lot of us out there. Many more than actual collectors. 355 will have its day. It’s a decade later than the TR. 355 poster kids don’t have the cash yet.

I see the middle child syndrome of the 355 as a plus.
    Small and fast.

328 is small and slow
    360 is Big and fast

I have all three and like them for different reasons, but I truly think the 355 is my favorite.

baschul, carnutdallas and Dave rocks like this.
  13. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    And people aren't TERRIFIED about servicing a V12 Ferrari? I think you are mistaken about that holding back 355 values.

Dave rocks likes this.
  14. ADRIANF430

ADRIANF430 Rookie

Dec 29, 2010
    Hey guys ...have a look at this ftom Sydney admittedly these are Aussie dollars but.... this how much “the stick shift “ is valued here I paid 190 for my spider a month ago and 175 for my GTS F1 last year

15. ADRIANF430

ADRIANF430 Rookie

Dec 29, 2010
  16. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Right hand drive though, right?

17. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Yes as I believe that is NSW Australia

MAD828 likes this.
  18. Thehawaiiangecko

Nov 22, 2017
    I couldn't agree with you more. Where ever you park people come up to the car and ask if they can take picture. I always hear "That's the car I always dreamed of, and now I'm seeing one". Always makes you feel good to drive. The sound with Tubi exhaust is so throaty everybody looks and gives you thumbs up. Gotta Love it!

Sent from my SM-J727T using FerrariChat.com mobile app

greg328 and Yassa like this.
  19. SethP

SethP Karting

Jul 2, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Full Name:
    Seth Parks
    I have owned a Testarossa and now a 355B. The 355 is hands down my favorite of the two. I consider it a more spirited drive. The Testarossa felt slower and twice the size. I do agree with most comments here. The Testarossa is more of an icon and gets more attention. Although I wouldn't consider either one to be a cray head turner here in LA. But it depends on where it is.

355s are definitely undervalued now but so was the Testrossa 3 years ago. Even more so! I bought mine for what a new Pius would cost! The 355 is 10 years newer then the Testarossa so I don't expect the jump in value just yet. Not a large one anyway. Wait till more people my age who drooled over 355 in Dupont Registry in the 90s to be in their 50s and have some money to spend on fulfilling that dream. For me it was always the Diablo. It's in another league so I won't even compare!

Gershwin, cnpapa24 and Yassa like this.
  20. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    The Testarossa wasn't on the poster I had in my bedroom when I was in high school, a yellow over black Boxer was. I was disappointed when the Testarossa came out, because I thought it was ugly compared to the Boxer.

The design has grown on me over the years, but that's pure sentimentality, I think.

Alas, the Boxers are out of range for me now, and besides, my 308 has taught me that I can't go back that far and be satisfied with the performance envelope, which for the 308 is quaint (And I need a GTS to fit).

So I got the 360, which is my favorite design for the mid V8's, and it's modern and civilized when I need it to be, and raw and dangerous when I want (And I'm 6'2" and fit in the 360 much better).

The 355 is beautiful, and the last of the truly small mid V8's, so I'm sure it will have its day. Especially the manuals.

But the entire Ferrari market is wonky now, and has been since that bubble we had eighteen months back or so. Now we're in the no-buy winter, so I'm hoping for some good signs come spring.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The Testarossa will never touch this, looks wise.

cnpapa24, wlanast and jgriff like this.
  21. Thehawaiiangecko

Nov 22, 2017
    The boxer 512bb looks like a twin or the older brother of a 308. So many people confuse the two when they don't know Ferrari's. I have heard so many people think its the Magnum PI car. Nothing else looks like a Testarossa, so you can't confuse it with something other then what it is.

Sent from my SM-J727T using FerrariChat mobile app

22. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    just today in fact. 512TR with 109k miles showing.

sjd

23. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Production numbers? Just going by Wikipedia it says around 10k Testarossa were built. That’s a lot more than 348s that were built and comparable to the 355.

24. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    You guys are failing to mention the production numbers and the demand for cars you are comparing to a 355.

A 993 Turbo has half the production and is very iconic and in high demand in the Porsche world. It's currently on my short list as a next purchase and has a great upside.

Same with the Testarossa....although I think it's ugly and dated styling wise.....

25. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    The 355 is definitely undervalued in my opinion. I sold my 993 about 5 years ago and don't really check prices on them but every blue moon I'll take a peak. No way I'd pay the same money for a 993 as a 355. But that's me and clearly the market is of a different opinion.

The achilles heel of this car is the maintenance and the few issues it has which cost $$$ to fix. Once fixed you're fine but still not cheap. I'm curious to see if the car will have its heyday but I'm afraid most opt for the 360 for a few reasons.

I sold my 355 to carnutdallas who posted above because I wanted to buy a higher mileage 360 that I could track and not worry about value. After selling my car earlier this year I decided to wait out for a bit to see where the market goes. In that time I've had some doubts about whether I really want a 360 or another 355. The size of the 355 is perfect and even though when I initially got into Ferraris I thought the 360 was beautiful, I now think the 355 is by far the prettier one.