355 values - I just don't get it | Page 4 | FerrariChat

355 values - I just don't get it

Discussion in '348/355' started by Dave rocks, Dec 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

The TR needs to be pushed to be appreciated. Like really pushed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Natkingcolebasket69

To each his own; im european and 80’s kid and could have cared less about the bb growing up.
    I grew to like it with time but it all depends on i guess your age, where you grew up etc.
    F40 was on my wall but that’s out of range!

G. Pepper likes this.
  3. SethP

SethP Karting

Jul 2, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Full Name:
    Seth Parks
    I understand the interest in valuation but of course all of us 355 owners value the it more than the market does. Otherwise we would be putting them up for sale. I'm not sure what the value would have to be for me to sell but it's no where near where it is now. Where it is now just makes me consider another!

Yassa, carnutdallas and MAD828 like this.
  4. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    Just turn the key and I’m impressed.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  5. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    #80 davidoloan, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    It has all that but I think the originality and purity of its design is emerging clear of all the cultural attached baggage. It’s losing its brashness, which was a symbol of its time.

And even its facelift was successful, which is rare though I’m saying nothing about the F512M’s wheels and lights.

6. 168glhs1986

168glhs1986 Rookie

Feb 16, 2016
    Undervalued ? Depends on perspective. Are you a buyer or a seller. Total cost of ownership is what is keeping prices down. A gate, sound and looks is what is driving prices up. Can't have it all

7. Natkingcolebasket69

Well i have one and i enjoy it at the most when revving it up;)

8. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    You guys sound like the 308 forum prior to those somewhat getting bumped in value! :D

I believe any appreciation is driven by the aesthetics of the car; the beauty, the sound, the impact it made when released, the special event the drive provides. You don't hear folks talking about how bad an old Lambo is to maintain and repair. Rather they talk about the beauty, the impact of the design at the time and still today. Age and supply definitely play into the equation. Rarity is just one influencing data point of many for a collectible car.

I would guess the 355 is still too new to see a big appreciation curve. I do think there are many attributes to the model that will make it highly desired in the near future. I believe its place in history will be marked as the end of the era of small footprint, pop up headlight, wedge shaped Ferraris that culminated as one of the most attractive Ferraris in modern times. It will be legendary for its exhaust note. And it will be noted as the beginning of the modern F1 electrohydraulic clutch system, and the beginning of the end of the gated shifter.

I would watch a gated B or GTS to see where their value goes as they will lead with nostalgia of clicking through the gearbox as the driving factor. But that may flip when the Nintendo generation is the buying force.

05011994, Yassa, baschul and 3 others like this.
  9. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

Yeah like the triangle of death for oil leaks. Have to drop it just to get to the area.

Droping our engines include the scary hydraulic systems being opened haha

10. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    993TT and F355 were high water marks for analog, true driver Ferraris and Porsches. Both are small and nimble and both have best balance of driver interaction and real world usability. 993 is more daily driver...F355 is definitely more of an experience. If rolling sculpture and hedonistic pleasure are what you are looking for nod goes to the 355 over the 993TT (or 993 Cab) IMO.

baschul and carnutdallas like this.
  11. awashi123

awashi123 Rookie

May 28, 2007
    I own a 1999 355F1 Giallo Modena Berlinetta and this is the most carefully written and accurate response I've ever read!! Please write more.

V8ray and Yassa like this.
  12. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    I owned a 1997 F355 GTB, it was a cool car but not one of the great cars that I have owned. I can scratch it off the list and move on - I don't think I'll ever be interested in it to buy one again. I have never liked the styling of the 360 and when the 430 came out I thought it looked great. I own an F430 and in my opinion, it sounds better and is more fun to drive plus it is basically bulletproof. The F355 is also looking very dated, especially with the pop-up head lights. A lot of comparisons to a 993 Turbo - it is one of the great cars I have owned and I am always looking to get another one and styling wise does not look dated, with the exception of the interior.

Muddyfunster likes this.
  13. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    355 looking dated?!?! Thats a first!

baschul, 355dreamer, MAD828 and 5 others like this.
  14. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Where's the dislike button lol?

SethP, taz355, INTMD8 and 1 other person like this.
  15. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Never liked the styling of the 360 but the 430 looks great? Of course there are differences but the styling is pretty similar.

F430 sounds better. Sound is subjective but first time I've heard that.

The F355 is 23+ years old so I guess it would look dated but beautiful is beautiful. Are dino's and lusso's looking dated? I guess so, they don't look new.

993 doesn't look dated but same basic shape since 1963.

I don't even know what to make of all this! :D

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

mshobe, Mikael-F360, SethP and 5 others like this.
  16. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Not really. I've said the same thing more than once. Particularly the "B". The spider is by far the better looking 355, not to mention the never stated fact that the 355 and the 348 spiders were the first 2 seat convertibles offered by Ferrari since the Daytona, and the fist 2 seat, V8 true spiders ever.

drbob101 likes this.
  17. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The F355 is timeless and iconic.

MAD828 and Dave rocks like this.
  18. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    lol my opinion only, yes I personally think the 430 is a lot more modern and better looking than a 360. To all of you Porsche guys, to me it is like comparing a 996 to a 997 - yes basically the same and for folks who are not Porsche guys/gals they all look the "same" but for the ones that know, we know. :)

19. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    While the 360/430 are growing on me, I still remain devoted to the 355. Just an amazing car and IMO, the last of the true raw Ferrari. My next (addition, not replacement) will be 458 & 599.

John M and Yassa like this.
  20. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    For me it will be the scuderia and the superfast

21. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    #96 Ferrari Fanatic, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    Funny story. When I tracked my 355 at an FCA Event, my car was by far the oldest car there. We were sharing the track with the traveling outfit that rents all the new super cars to the public.

Between sessions most people were taking pics were of the 355 :)....and of all things, the interior ! Oh and guys walked up and said it sounded awesome.Oh, and this pic was just the Tech Session. I wasn't going to take a pic, of people taking pics of my car, that would be weird.

The 360’s, 430’s, 458’s, people taking pics..... Ummm, not so much....Just sayin :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

mshobe likes this.
  22. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I had an F355 and swapped it for a 360. The F355 was emptying my wallet. I think it was not so much the model but that car. Anyway the F355 was the Ferrari I always wanted and when the 360 came out I really did not like it.
    Roll forward to two years ago and I decided enough was enough and I swapped it for a 360. Bonus was F355's are worth more than 360's (here anyway) so I got change too!
    My 360 compared with my F355 is absolutely spectacular to drive. CF sports seats, you feel lower down and it feels twice as quick. I think my 360 is a great example of a 360 and my F355 was not so great example of an F355.

I still love the F355 but today (probably because I own one partially) and some design style references to the Dino, then I like the 360 more.

23. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    When it comes to the 430 and 360, I find the 430 more appealing except for the front bumper cover. There I prefer the 360. If you could put the 360 bumper cover on the 430 the 430 would be the tits.

24. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I have not met a 355 that I cannot make perfect. But it does take money. Now, the 360CS, that's the ticket. If I had to be stuck with an F1, then it is the CS.

Muddyfunster, MalcQV and Yassa like this.
  25. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Well said. I have both, and really don’t prefer one over the other. They’re both different and great for there own attributes.