355 vs 360 | FerrariChat

355 vs 360

Discussion in '348/355' started by bostonmini, Dec 18, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Does anybody (that has owned both) have any input as to positives of owning a 355 over a 360? True, a 360 is newer, better ergonominically etc, but i think that the 355 is just more exotic and makes all the right sounds...I doubt the performance difference is noticeable but maybe a dual owner could shed some light. Interestingly, I use to find the 355 interior a bit primative looking, especially with its square vents, but now i think maybe its bespoke ferrari:) your thoughts on a 355 over 360?

2. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    The 360 is a better, faster car and there is no question there. That said, I prefer the looks and sounds of the 355 and, having the choice, I bought a 355 Spider.

Many of the differences between the two cars are in the eye of the beholder, because when it comes to performance stats, its really the driver that will make the .3 second difference, not the differences between the two cars.

David

3. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I recently bought a 355, so I am biased. I also had the honor and pleasure of driving an '00 360 F1 at MSR and was very impressed by the power, but the F1 was not working right - it upshifted way too hard and would sometimes switch to neutral (it was not just me, it did it to the owner and others driving the car). I have to admit the 360 is a better driving car, but only incrementally.

I prefer the looks of the 355 and you are probably talking a price difference of $40K or so - or nearly 50% and the 360 is not 50% better, more like 10-20%.

The only negative I have for the 360, and what shocked me to have never read, is that the car has an astonishing amount of plastic (console, door map pockets, instrument bezel). The 355 is all leather in these places (but suffers from leathe shrinkage and the A/C control in the console is notorious for looking like junk). My Viper gets crucified by the press for its plastic interior parts and no one utters a peep about the aluminum-painted plastic in the 360 - amazing!

Both cars are great, buy what you like and can afford.

FWIW I daily drive my 355 rain & shine and treat it like a real car, since it is nearly "affordable" enough that I don't sweat the wear & tear.

4. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    There's an excellent article in a back-issue of Forza Magazine comparing and contrasting the 355 and 360.

5. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    maybe then the best of all worlds is to get a 355, wait with it and love it for a few years...THEN, go for the 360 replacement:) the 355 to me, represents fcars of old, where you could mistake them for NOTHING else...the 360 is gorgeous in a much more modern and simple way...less lines etc..more organic...keep 'em coming;)

6. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Hey Boston Mini - send me a PM. I'm off until Feb; we should get lunch sometime.

7. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Yep. That's been my opinion. Although I will probably get a 360 at some point just to see what it's like to live with it. I am much more emotionally attached to the 355.

8. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    They are both great cars. The 355 does seem a bit more special in a classical Ferrari sense, but the 360 is gorgeous in its own right. The 360 in my opinion definately feels quicker than the 355. The reason is the Maximum torque is now at 4,750 RPM rather than 6,000. The 360 also feels more spacious and more of a modern car. Having said that I don't think I will ever sell my 355..

9. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    I'd say the 360 is easy to live with. Nearly 3 years, over 23,000 miles, and it's still a great car. Perfect? No. But to me, it's the perfect sports car.

10. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    For looks the 355 wins hands down IMHO. For performance, the 360 wins by a large margin!

11. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The 360 is (in US trim) 250 pounds lighter, and as you indicate, has a wider powerband. But, I think, most of the speed advantage (80%) comes from the lack of weight and not from the engine enhancements (+0.1 litres and a dual resonant intake).

12. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    I owned a 355 GTS for nearly a year. Frankly, I found it a mistake more because of the roof. Inclement weather leaves you hanging around with a piece of plastic and whipping the chairs back and forwards to fit. In light of the fact that this is the typical weather in the UK it was a pain. I also could never prevent leaks. As for handling and performance, the car is as good as it gets. I easily left mere mortals in my wake and got to my own fear limits before I reached the car's limits.

Two year's ago I had had enough and changed to a 360 spider. I have loved every minute. I am aware it is not as well behaved at the limits cf a 355 so I am much more cautious and rarely take the traction contriol off fully. However, the one critical advantage the 360 has is its peak torque is around 4750 rpm (cf 355 at 6750). This might not stand out as a huge benefit on an empty road or a track but the extra available revs before an upchange is required is a revelation for usability.

e.g. I recently followed a 355 along a road and past traffic. Every time I followed one of his overtakings he had to change up whilst passing the slower cars. I did not need to so had a few hairy moments when having to slow for his change when on the wrong side of the road!!

Just my 2p's worth.

13. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    The 360 has some attributes in relation to the 355, better brakes, more responsive low down the rev range. Looks are in the eye of the beholder but to me the 355 looks so desirable I wanted one almost at any cost, whereas the 360 especially with that rounded front nose does not provoke those kind of emotions at all; it looks like a big fiat coupe Inside whilst I would agree the 355 is a little understated at least it does not have cheap painted plastic everywhere inside.

As to ultimate speed In the real world I dont think there is a huge amount in it. The 360 is quicker to turn in and a little more responsive but the 355 is oh so forgiving- depends if you feel lucky I suppose!

Also in the UK at least 360 values are taking a bath wheeras 355 are holding well. I dont think the 360 will ever reach the realms of true desirability in the looks dept as in the case of the 355

14. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    (I realize I'm DEScribing a track car)

Rob Lay is absolutely overjoyed by the performance of his 355 Challenge.

15. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    So according to the members that have posted, and are clearly quite knowledgeable on this subject, the consensus is that the 355 is actually easier to control at the limit? I had no idea...I thought that the traction control of the 360 and just newer engineering would make it easier...so then in this respect the 355 is the better "starter" ferrari? this would be my first...Hopefully maintanence would be partially doable on my own too;) ahh...now its whether to go yellow on black or black on beige:)

16. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    That would run counter to most magazine articles. The 360 was named "best handling car" by R&T after an extensive track test, and I recall contemporary tests of the 355 calling its handling "queasy". Maybe more who have owned and tracked both can chime in.

Gary

17. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    FWIW Interior trim, dash, door pockets etc is not platic but metal (that looks a bit like plastic).

I think that there both great cars, I have a 360, but have a reasonable amount of seat time in a 355.

My comparison:

You'll fit a 360 if you're big - 355 is much smaller.
    Practicality - space for golf clubs etc (if you're going to pose why not @ the golf club?)
    Interior - I find the 360 personally a much nicer looking interior, I think the instruments in the 355 are a bit *cheap* looking - perhaps its just that the still have the old drum type Odo.
    Style - well that's up to you, but I prefer the 360 to 355, 355 is too much 348 upgrade for me. 355 is a great upgrade, but the 360 is a trendsetter.
    Performance, the 360 is a little faster.
    Noise - different, IMO the 360 Needs the Tubi. 355 sounds better out of the box.
    F1 etc - same pros/cons for both. FWIW I think the later the car the better the F1 (I own a stick now, but my CS must be F1...)
    Cost - duh. 360 is more, but I'd take a Euro 99 360 everytime over a top dollar 355.

18. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    As stated in UK press, the handling limits of the 360 exceed that of the 355 but when things do go wrong they go wrong lot quicker!

19. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have spent a great deal of seat time in both cars and I must say I can not agree with the statement that the 355 handles better, in my experiences the opposite has been the case. I'm not talking track cars here but street cars, in what I call my real world test track ( backroads near my house are full of S and L curves), I find the 360 much faster and easier to control through the curves.

20. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Ive driven an tracked both. Its very subjective. The 360 has higher limits but nearing them needs skilled hands, whereas the 355 has lower limits but easier to get there and recover. For avergae driving I would prefer the 355.

The article you mention seems to run contrary to articles in the UK and Tiff Nidell, a driver of great repute here said after testing the 360, refering to the 355 said 'the king is dead, long live the king'!

But the issue with all the magazines seems to be state how wonderful the latest offering is then in afew years say how bad it is!

21. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    360 on the track is a bit scary in oversteer mode, I think the rear end has a bit too much roll which can lead to a big moment.

With traction control on you'll struggle to do any damage - since it cuts in pretty early. but with it off (as you have to have on the track) its a little tricky at the limit - but there's a big gap between where traction control cuts in and where the limit is with it off.

From current reports it seems like the 360CS has a better set up in this department - I hope to find out in the spring !

22. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    i have owned and loved both. but the 360 is far better in everyway except maybe looks, which of course is subjective. i think the front of the 355 looks a bit dated.

as far as sound goes i put tubi exhaust and test pipes on my 360 and i think it sounds as good as the 355.

there is a noticeble difference in power and handling between the two. a stock 360 would blow away a stock 355 on the track and feels much stronger on the street.

but the end result you can't go wrong with either so get what your heart tells u

23. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003

24. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john

u dont read about it cuz it's not plastic, it's aluminum :)

25. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john