355 vs 360 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 vs 360

Discussion in '348/355' started by bostonmini, Dec 18, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I know its a small thing, but I love having the handbrake out of the way ala 355, 550, 575, since I hardly ever use it.
    I can't put it into words, but the 355 is the most inviting car I have ever driven. I don't get that sensation with the 360. I know its a subjective thing, but there it is.

2. scott63

scott63 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    I have owned both a 355B and a 360 coupe. I actually bought the 355 this past summer and after I drove a 360, I immediately sold the 355. The 355 is a very good car, the 360 IMO is a great car. To me there is no comparison. The 360 feels much more powerful, the interior is light years ahead of the 355 and the fit and finish on the 360 also blows away the 355. In terms of handling, the 355 power steering just plain sucks, it is way over-assisted. The 355 handling at high speeds (over 100 MPH) leaves a lot to be desired as well. At high speeds, the 355 tends to to "float" and feel very light. The 360 at extremely high speeds (140+) is rock solid. I personally think the 360 looks much better as well, but everyone has their own opinion on the designs...

BTW, I have a 2003 F-1 and I can say the gearbox is fabulous. Everyone who has driven it has come away saying that they have been "converted" and would definately buy an F-1. I also do not have much plastic inside my car. Everything that looks like metal, is metal...

3. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    At first I liked the looks of the 355 better than the 360, but not any more. The 355 looks a little dated to me now. I have really grown to like the 360, I think it's beautiful! IMHO in all other aspects the 360 has it over the 355 hands down. Pick the one you like better, to each his own!

4. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I had them both together for a while, and drove them more than the average Ferrari gets driven. My 355 was six speed and the 360 is F1.

Different cars completely. From a very subjective POV the 355 felt racier. It was louder and the exhaust note was a little raspier. It felt like it was on the edge . All this because the 360 is just such a competent car and does everything very well without any fuss.

I reluctantly traded the 355 to make room for an SL55 and my kids disowned me. It was hands down their favorite car because it sounded and felt like a real Ferrari.

The 360 always feels easy to drive and therefore less exciting, but it doesn't surprise by getting loose at high speeds and is never twitchy like the 355 was.

I miss the 355 but I really appreciate how much better the 360 is from every respect - fit, finish, performance etc.

5. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    I think that looks is purely subjective, from some angles I think the 355 is the most beautiful car in the world, but the 360 does look so much more modern and the looks just grow on your more everyday, especially the beautiful 360CS.

As far as driving remember that the 360 is the first aluminum chassis Ferrari that was designed on a clean sheet of paper and is a very modern car in all aspects. In the last issue of Forza, the Mr. Felidsa (hope I got that right) said that the 355 was a bit compromised due to the fact that it was based on the 348 although it had a new engine, gearbox, etc.

I think you can't go wrong with either one, in a perfect world have both.

6. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    I purchased my first F car last year. I considered, and drove, both cars and prefer the 355 for much of the reasons stated in the opening thread.

Both cars are great….de-skin the 360 and you have a more technologically advanced car, and usually newer is better. However, the design (particularly the front) seems to get lost in the crowd, especially when driving and you see one coming at you head on.

When test driving, the 355 handling seemed more crisp and under acceleration the gearing was perfect, keeping each upshift in the powerband…couple that with the exhaust note…well it all makes for a very, very exciting driving experience.

Back to the design – I tend to group cars either as “exotic” or “sports car”. Exotics are Lambo, TR, 348, 355, Enzo. Sports cars are Porsche, Vette, Viper, etc. I’m talking strictly design - not performance or price tag. As much as I like the 360, I don’t think of it as an exotic. Sorry. (No flames please – just opinion).

I hope Ferrari will incorporate some of the aggresive lines of the Enzo into their next generation.

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The limits in an 360 are higher than the limits in an F355; Acceleration, braking, cornering. Most of this has to do with weight, weight, and weight.

However, get an F355 sidways at 100 MPH in a long sweeper and it remains your friend*, do the same in a 360 and you've got your work cut out for you. I think it has to do with the aerodynamics and suspensions. The F355 is the classic long a-arm, stiff chassis, that gives very slowly changing camber with respect to lean angle (e.g. sideways Gs). The 360 has shorter a-arms to make room for bigger ventruies. This give more camber change per unit of roll, and requires fast and accurate steering input when sideways. In addition, the F355 can be lowered and the suspension realigned for racing, whereas the 360 has a very narrow window fo ride eheigh where the suspension works well, a direct collorary of the shorter a-arms suposition? I think so.

*Quite amazing considering that the F348 has a reputation for not being so friendly when provoked in sideways manner.