360/430 A arm bushes | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360/430 A arm bushes

Discussion in '360/430' started by rizzo308, Dec 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    #26 Flea7, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Delrin ...Teflon are relatively cheap.

I have a challenge flambloc to experiment with. I have a bench top lathe and press in the garage. I plan to make my own bushing and experiment with PTFE, Delrin, ...even metal bushing. I don't mind the NVH if the car handles well.

f355spider and Sky Hye like this.
  2. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Mark,
    You are correct. The challenge bushings are Delrin.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

f355spider likes this.
  3. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    The issue isn’t cost, It’s properties. I don’t use Teflon for structural components. The properties just aren’t there. Teflon isn’t as machinable and the tolerances aren’t as easy to hold. Delrin actually contains Teflon fibers and depending on the delrin grade you can get very slippery.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    My chiropractor doesn’t mind the NVH either. He gets rich off it

5. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    That’s correct. Poly is usually 50-80 using the same measurement scale (Shore D)

6. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    OK roger! I though I read earlier something about saving money by using one over the other! Cheers

Sky Hye likes this.
  7. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Well, this modification won't affect you much in that way as your springs and dampeners will....so you won't contribute much to your chiropractor.;)

Sky Hye likes this.
  8. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Here are some pics of the challenge bottom flambloc. I didn't try to take off the delrin or press out the inter material. It look like there are bearings in the center.

I will probably just upgrade to the Challenge flamblocs in the front suspension.
    I'll modify the existing ones because the rubber is showing some cracks around the sides.

I hope this helps...

Attached Files:

RANDY6005, tifosi101 and cpep like this.
  9. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    How interesting. Roller bearings on the inside. Thanks for the photos!

Flea7 likes this.
  10. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Yeah.....cool huh!!??
    I wonder if others are like this? maybe Riggo can chime in and share if his has the bearings

11. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Wow. I did not know that. I have a set of Challenge flamblocs in the workshop - I will check them.

Flea7 likes this.
  12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Actually called needle rollers

John_K_348 likes this.
  13. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Awesome! But I would be one for rubber or the softer option since I have my kidneys to worry about ;) I haven't paid much attention to rebound material specs since my rollerblading days with the 80mm pro blade wheels and a harder durometer spec. What would the softer option be or does it matter with stock suspension? Sport and Normal is fine with me on the computer.

14. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    Well I'll B farked. Would never of guessed bearings in the bush. Lets keep this rolling guys hope we can get this upgrade off the ground. Flea7 I have misplaced my Challenge bush spent 2 hrs trying to find it last wk.

15. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Sky Hye likes this.
  16. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    Yeah that’s my handy work but they are standard 36o rubber bushes. I misplaced my challenge bush.

17. ur84wr

ur84wr Karting

Jan 6, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Max
    Sky Hye likes this.
  18. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    More material - more deflection. I would also prefer the outer in place to protect the wishbone.

19. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    After some research, seems F430/360 and 430 Scud/CS flamblocs are different part numbers. I'm ordering a set of both so I can reverse engineer them. My machinist said he can get the delrin pricing down to about 200-250 each if i have him make 20. if I can get a group order in, qty goes up and pricing goes down. Let me know if you guys are interested and I can talk about a refundable deposit and get a big order made. I think the Poly ones should be about the same price.

20. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

ok, the same part made by lamborghini sells for $20 each...... dont know why this thing is so expensive.
    can somebody make some decent bushings? we don't need super durable or super hard or soft, something like OEM will be fine, even a little inferrior but cheaper would be accpetable. I'd by 4 cars of worth of these~~~~~

edit: 4 cars worth means 108 bushings.
    each car has 2x2x2x2 = 16 a-arm bushings.
    shock bushing = 2x2x2 = 8 shock bushings.
    plus the gearbox =3 bushings

each car has 16+8 +3 = 27 bushings.

Sky Hye likes this.
  21. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I dont know where you are getting these prices from for this Delrin, but looking on the web site of
    Directplastics.co.uk. I am getting prices of. £21[ say $25]. for a 500 mm length. x 45mm dia and £11[. say 13$ ]. for 500mm x 32mm dia. They also do smaller and larger diameters and lengths in white or black.

Reasonably easy to make, the inside diameter would need a boring bar and would be the difficult bit, the outside is easy

22. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

sorry, my bad, the lambo part isn't delrin, it is OEM rubber, which im not sure of its ingredients.

delrin is for race car such as the 360/430 challenge.

my point from last post is that maybe we don't need delrin, just run-of-the-mill material such as those OEM would be acceptable. reason is that OEM is way too expensive. more than $100 each is a little excessive. In china, i replaced all of my Buick bushings for a mere US$40 ( yes, all of the more than a dozen a-arm bushings!) And the car's seen 50,000 km without any noticeable deterioration. Oh, and those bushings are "made in china". go figure......

23. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

be frank with you guys, i've been thinking of make lots of low-tech stuff like the bushings in China and sell it here, maybe a healthy profit up for grab. Only if there's no custom and shipping barriers. Sigh.....

24. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    I wouldnt make in china. They have a habit of not using proper materials. They even went as far as using knock off VHB for one of my products... 50k units out in the field with fake VHB

Anthony 360 F1 likes this.
  25. ur84wr

ur84wr Karting

Jan 6, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Max
    With respect that pricing is pretty insane. They are very simple parts to make and should be ~$20 ea at most.

Delrin is dupont’s brand of Acetal or POM which are all the same basic (and very cheap) polymer. Perhaps your machinist is looking at Delrin which could be interchanged for a generic Acetal.

I have ordered 1x upper and 1xlower Scuderia Flambloc for reverse engineering which I’ll get from my mechanic in a few weeks.

Iam told the challenge insert is different from the 430/scud and I plan on reusing my old ones so Iam deliberately not reverse engineering the challenge version.

f355spider likes this.