360 crank in a 308 block | Page 3 | FerrariChat

360 crank in a 308 block

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by duck.co.za, Feb 26, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I've never heard that a 355 crank would be a near drop-in, what I heard was the 360 crank was closer....but even then it seems a billet crank is cheaper by the time you get done with all the rework required.

As for finding one, I've found all my parts at

Michael Rozenstraten
    [email protected]

good luck.

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Sorry, I jumped the gun a little. I meant to say 348, not 355. IIRC Atlantaman heard of this as being a drop in post minor drilling. I'll try to find the original thread later today.

3. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    the cranks are a drop in, no mods needed. it's the cost and the cost of titanium rods $$$$$ and custom pistons. however once that's sorted it's a go. i have a 360 crank in the block now, it spins freely :D

4. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
  5. duck.co.za

duck.co.za Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks Scott
    Now would the 308 flywheel work ,somewhere I read the bolt pattern had changed is this correct .Does the 308 gear to drive the belt pullies fit the end of the crank and what about the crank damper or lack thereof ? Are the 360 rods way to long for the 308 deck height ?You cant get away with just changing the pistons ?I was read on the Wiseco website that they make pistons where the gudgeon pin bore is higher than the oil ring and there are pins to stop the oil control ring gaps from rotating into the gudgeon pin bore ( much like a two stroke stopping the ring gap going into the ports I assume ) This was something new to me ,but what it does mean they can make pistons with a very short compresion height ?

6. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    the flywheel I have from the 328 bolts to the 360 crank. the rods will work as they are identical in size to the 308. the issue is now with a longer stroke the piston will pop out of the deck, so you'll need new pistons. the timing assembly also seems to mate up as well, need to get the gears in to see but it lines up so far. so far it's just a placement check.

7. duck.co.za

duck.co.za Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks Scott sounds all very interesting .I accept that on a 2V motor the standard breathing is poor ,but surely this will help the bottom end torque if you run a much wilder cam ?So just to recap on a 3.0l 2V motor we can bore standard cast iron liners to 83mm max ? and with a 79mm stroke this gives us +/-3.4l ?Its still over square but what about the rod angle does the piston wall friction go up ? don't quite understand this as surely with a longer rod the angle is less therefor the side thrust is less ?