360 CS Dyno Run Results | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 CS Dyno Run Results

Discussion in '360/430' started by thomas_b, Dec 20, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    this explains why the porsche gt3 with less power, more weight, std tranny, and $100k less was faster around track in c&d mag last month! seems pretty obvious cs stats are overstated by factory. same thing also seems to happen to ford, jag, mazda. i dont think need to worry about porsche's claims though. when a x50 tt wins the 0-150-0 test its because its making more than claimed 450 hp. just reconfirms how i love fcars and hate f factory!

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I took the liberty of placing two pointers on the dynorun.

The red indicates where peak TQ occured, the blue one indicates where peak TQ is supposed to have occured. ALong with the mission ponies up top, it seems that the engine is missing poke down low also.

3. andybm3

andybm3 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2003
    USA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Thomas,

Thanks for the info, clearly dissapointing although I did hear from my dealer that the 1st US cars were held up because they did not meet the noise requirements, the fix may have had an impact on FNA's original power expectations. Like you I will be getting my CS to replace my current 360, is it worth it? can you tell the difference in the engine? more responsive? For what's its worth my 360 (with tubi) pulls great all the way to the rev limiter, never feels lean.

4. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Hmm...this is sort of sad...I was hoping we'd see a 360 with all the stops pulled that might be able to drop HP in the 370 range...I think i may have been a bit off...Anyhow, I cant beleive that when ferrari tuned the 3.6 and bumped the compression, they got only 320ish, while Allan heard that 335 is possible sans variable valve timing and smaller engine! wow...

5. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    "Allan heard..." Why am I not impressed? Until this mythical 355 engine is run on the same dyno as a CS I wouldn't lose any sleep over this drivel.

Gary

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I need a little lesson on Octane here. I've heard that you want the lowest Octane where it won't knock. I've heard unnecessary Octane actually robs power. We run the lowest Octane we can find on the 1st gen Rx7's.

7. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Gary, i can assure you this is not drivel. It has been posted here before, and someone else also mentioned 320+rwhp 355's. I dont see the big deal though, anyway you look at it... 355...360... disappointing.

8. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Moral of the story here is that Ferrari realized after seeing gallardo, ford GT etc, that they are gonna need to bring out the big guns, this will take a little time, and the stradale is really just to hold their position not better it, I guess its all you can really expect with the same engine as the standard 360, with a small compression bump. Maybe an ENGINE dyno would clear things up once and for all.

9. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter

My 355 and others tested have about 260rwhp. One has challenge exhaust, no cats and Motec. All on the same dyno and insignificant difference. That's the only way to compare.

10. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    LOL! You better check your dyno. That would mean a stock 355 makes around 230rwhp! LOL That would be a 39% drivetrain loss! Check this thread and others, others have dynoed over 320rwhp with basic mods.

11. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Even making 260rwhp, after your mods, and the stock quoted 375hp, thats a 30% drivetrain loss. Using your numbers, we should all sue Ferrari, because a 355 then really makes about 280hp instead of the quoted 375 using a standard 18% loss.

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Haven't seen a 355 or 360 on the dyno yet. I have seen several stock 328's and all were 210-220 RWHP. A stock 348 was 250 RWHP.

I was watching a show on TV and they took the same car on several various dynos back to back. There was a 10-30 HP difference between them. Again, it's just like talking about 0-60 or track times, they can't be taken black and white. Now if it's the same driver at the same time, then you can compare one to one.

13. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    The numbers you quote sound pretty much spot on.

14. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    I wouldn't even begin to try and explain the dyno numbers being discussed yet would suggest enjoying the car cause dynos don't mean that much..

Its how fast and beautiful your car is.

Truly one of the worlds best.

Congrats on the car!

JB

2001 ZO6 w/ Halltech Tunnel Ram,
    FLP headers,3.73 Getrag Rear,2004 Z06 shocks,Shaner S2 TB,Hurst

15. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    That was my point...dynos read differently. esp chassis dynos. I know that there was nothing wrong with the 4 cars tested. Showed that modifying a 355 is a waste of time as far as I'm concerned.

16. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    By the way...2 of these 355s WERE stock.

17. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    I can take the fact that the US Stradale isn't quite as light as Ferrari claimed. I can even take the fact that the US Stradale may not sound as good as the European cars. But if the US Stradale output was well and truly reduced from 425hp to 409hp, they can keep it. I will let my dealer sell the car to somebody else when it arrives.

Paul

18. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    On octane, I can tell you what I have seen done. Changing to high octane race gas often results in a lose of hp....until the mixture is corrected, then it makes about the same, sometimes a little more. Most race fuel is oxygenated and has god knows what else in it, so the volumetric flow (how EFI meters) changes, it also has a different specific gravity, so carbs get messed up too. It really has nothing to do with the octane as far as I can tell. Most racers just pick a brand of fuel and stick with it so all the tuning they do remains constant, no one like surprises at the track :)

I have also seen the same bike dynoed on different days on different dynojet dynos with the numbers agreeing within 1%. Not bad. BUT, I have also watched "tuners" run a customers bike on their dyno and yeild great results....that do not repeat on anyone elses dyno. It is quite easy to make a dyno give the number you want to see and I have no doubt that shops do it.

19. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    As a general rule of thumb, I don't put much stock in dyno numbers. Dyno tuning has it's place in an environment where you establish a baseline and make changes, then do another run to see if you improved or not. But trying to compare Car A run on Dyno B in City C to Car D on Dyno E in City F is just so much crap. My opinion anyway.

Gary

20. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Well i have not dynoed my car, but i can tell you that the mods i performed DEFINATELY made a difference in performance. Stock 355's should make about 300rwhp.

21. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    what I mean is that it storms up to around 7400 rpm after which it levels out - you can see it in the graph

current guess is that the ECU gradually takes "power" out, i.e. reduces injection time - I am vaque about this since I did not had the time to look at the data in more detail - most of the time the top end is the area in which tuners gain the most power by re-mapping AFR - manufacturers try to protect the engine/cat - this is my understanding

maybe someone can elaborate on this

22. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    the solid occured before the dotted one - we did several more both in V and IV as well as some programmed runs

the bumps are caused by the tires slipping on the dyno, i.e. traction problems

23. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    I did love my Modena a lot and it also performed very well

I could have sworn that the CS has more torque - shows how good the butt detector is - the CS runs without complains around 2.5K rpm while in the Modena this range did not feel right to me and I alwas stayed around 3K - again I am very suprised that this does not show up in the numbers

the CS is a much more refined car - the gearbox has been improved to a level that the pick-up feels as with an automatic gearbox and shifts under high load are very smoth

handling is also much more refined from what I can see (it was raining a lot lately) - tires and brakes are in a class of their own

my vote - its worth it - best 360 I have driven

24. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    yes that is the fustrating part - you can massage the numbers in many different ways and prove whatever you want

- manufacturing standards in the EU allow +/-5% variance in HP

- dyno runs can be massaged through the CF +/-7%

- dyno calibration allows for +/-10% (can't find the number so this is from memory)

- one can use different standards (temp., humidity, ..)

25. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    correct - I hev no good explanation and it even contradicts what I feel driving the car :-( - we have tracked more data - I will sort through this during the next few days - maybe something pops up - any hint welcome