360 CS Dyno Run Results | Page 5 | FerrariChat

360 CS Dyno Run Results

Discussion in '360/430' started by thomas_b, Dec 20, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    "the question is how active the knock control is - is it realistic that it never reaches the normal operating curve, i.e. ignition point is always late?"

YES...that is the whole point of the system....your graphs clearly show that you have an octane problem. It looks like the ECU turned the timing to full at 2 points (the bumps) on your first run, but sensed knock and pulled it back. On the second run, when the engine was hotter, the ECU pulled the iming back further...that is what it is designed to do.

"I never thought the effect that big in NA engines"

When I used to roadrace and dyno-shoot out bikes, I found that just 2 degrees of timing retard cost me about 10% on hp. That is why traditionally manufactures drop the compression rather than spec retarded timing, the net hp is higher and it's much safer for the engine. With todays electronics, most manufactures are building engines that they know will knock under some conditions and letting the computer correct it. It looks like Ferrari went a little to close to the line on the CS, so on 91 octane pump gas, the ECU is always pulling back the timing.

2. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Good point on the knock sensor pulling back on the timing, I hope that's it. I'm in for a Stradale and am getting quite concerned.

Thomas B, How about trying a Dyno pull with some unleaded high octane race gas? If it's just the knock sensor retarding the timing it would sure make us all feel better.

3. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Thomas: in looking at your thread you mention that the tech had issues with the motor at 7400 RPM...could it be possible that the ECU was cutting back the timing due to lack of octane?

By the way...thank you for your honest answers and assitance, you are a great help to many existing and future Stradale owners...happy holidays!!!:)

4. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    The octane theory hold up pretty well so far – the bumpy torque graph – the variance in max. torque RPM – some of the other behavior during the dyno run – I will go after that

Detonations in the acceleration phase leading up to max. torque would be caused by a RON number not sufficient and detonations under high load (top-end) by a MON number to low. I don’t know what the spec for the RON/MON components of the US PON = (RON + MON)/2 calculation is – I used US PON 92.

Regarding the EU/US comparison that is easy (EU - RON / US - PON):
    EU………....…..RON……MON…..PON…….US
    Normal.(91)...91………82.5……86.5…….~.regular. (PON 87)
    Super.(95)…..95………85……..90………..~.mid-grade.(PON 89)
    Premium.(98).98………88……..93……..…~.premium. (PON 92/93)

Racing.(100).100……..89.5……94
    ………...……....104……..96…..…100……..Racing.(PON 100)

I assume ferrarifixer was talking about 100 RON racing gas wich would mean two points over what I have used? One would need the individual components to better judge what happens. I am not sure how much the RON/MON components are regulated in the US – most of the additives are mixed-in when the gas gets loaded into the truck dependent on the brand.

I assume that the 95 recommendation of the CS owner’s manual is RON –I wonder how the car would react.

I will do a run with some high octane gas as soon as I can fit it in – I wonder if it makes sense to ask the dealer to re-set the ECUs or if it is sufficient to drive and let them adapt.

Can't wait to see the results....

5. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    Thomas,

Your Ferrari dealer can easily tell you if your car has run into the knock control (and retarded the timing), and I believe how many times it has occured, by plugging in their computer. I was told during routine service by my mechanic that my 360 Spider was running into this problem and that I should use better fuel but I was already running 93 octane gas. I don't know if you have experienced "sometimes it is fast as hell and sometimes not" in your 360 (I have), but once I started mixing 100 octane unleaded (available at some local stations) with premium at a 1:5 ratio the problem was gone. If you run straight 100 octane you may actually lose power, unless your engine really requires it.

Paul

6. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    .... in thinking about what you are saying - yes I have one situation that pops into my mind - when I accelerate out of a corner coming out with low RPM in a specific range - I have blamed it on the F1 gearbox ...

so your recommendation is 1:5 US 100 / US 93 - just to check

cool advice!!!!

7. 4sfed4

4sfed4 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    Thats the problem.

There is no "set" rules for pump gas. All they need to do is reach a certain RON+MON/2 rating (aka "CLC rating"). But, for most people looking for performance, all that is really of concern is the MON number (motor octane). RON (research octane) doesnt even need to be considered.

For example, a certain 93 octane pump fuel could be 98 RON and 88 MON.

Another that is also called 93 could be 100 RON and 86 MON.

Which one do you think youd want in your tank? :D

From my research, it appears that Shell pump fuels seem to have the highest MON ratings for a given CLC rating.

Here are some definitions from racefuels.com that might be found helpful--------

"Motor Octane (MON):
    (a) CFR Tested @ 900 RPMs, timing is varied with compression ratio, fuel is preheated to 300 degrees Fahrenheit, intake air is preheated to 100 degrees Fahrenheit. (b) Motor Octane, measured under varying load is definitely the most representative octane measurement for Real World Hi-Performance Engine Applications. (c) The closer the Motor Octane number to the Research Octane number the more stable the fuel is throughout the RPM range (see the Octane Differential in the chart above). This is very critical when running higher that 7500+ RPMs engine speed.

R+M Octane (R+M):
    (a) This method of measurement consists of adding together both the motor and research octane numbers and then dividing by two. (b) This is the number in that yellow box that you see on the gas pumps. (c) This number should only be used when determining which fuel to use in your street car or tow vehicle. This method is NOT intended for correct use in your racing engine.

Research Octane (RON):
    (a) CFR tested @ 600 RPMs, fixed timing at 13 degrees BTDC, fuel temp is not controlled and intake air is varied with the barometric pressure. (b) This is basically a No-Load test and this number should never be used to determine which fuel to use in your race engine. "

8. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    Thomas,

For a dyno test, according to your chart using 92 octane gas, I would use a mixture of 1:3 minimum, maybe even 1:2. My 360 needed at least 94 octane average to prevent any pinging on the street, so the Stradale might need even more. On the street it's not really necessary, usually you would use the lowest gear possible for max acceleration (high rpms = less load) and if it pulls back the timing slightly it's no big deal, but on the dyno, where you are using 5th gear from about 2000 all the way to 8500 under full throttle and you really want to see what the car is capable of, you may need the 1:2 (94.7.) I still stand by what I said about the incoming air being warmed up by the airbox, maybe not at 5000rpm and up, but definitely at 2000 rpm where the run starts, and warm air will increase the need for octane to prevent knock. I can't see how a Stradale wouldn't put out at least the power of a GT3 on the dyno, considering that the British magazines stated the Stradale was quicker than the GT3 from a roll and even in the Car & Driver test it pulled out a faster mph in the quarter mile. Maybe I just don't want to believe it.

You really opened up a can of worms here for future Stradale owners :)

9. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    This may have been discussed before but what would be the difference in figures with the car breathing dense cold air over warm air? Does the factory state an ambient temperature when the dyno tests are taken?

The reason I ask is that I used to have an old Capri that used to love the cold - It almost felt as though it had an extra 10% BHP when driving around in temperatures less than 10 deg C - pity it could not stick to the damn road though!!!

Paul

10. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Thomas,

Read most of the thread, and I can see you are a bit bummed at the performance of the 360CS.

A few comments..

First, I disagree that 18-20% driveline loss is "normal". Bear in mind tuners love to hand out high #'s because since you can only measure rear wheel numbers with the engine in, it "translates" into bigger effective numbers on their wares. I would go out on a limb and say I'd be amazed if you could be losing more than 15%, and actually I'd bet its a little less than that.

Second, my experience tells me the Mustang dyno isn't the best one out there. I don't know what it is about this unit, but I've seen numbers that were excessively high, and that were excessively low. More often than not, when some sulking guy posts about lower than expected numbers, it is very often on a Mustang dyno. Get your car dynoed on a Dynojet to see how it compares.

Third, if, as you say, your RPM readings were not clean, it could be the source of your problem right there. The factors taht go into the calculation of HP are torque and RPM. You say the torque readings look good to you... but since HP is calculated from TQ and RPM, if RPM is not being read correctly, it will throw a big wrench into your HP numbers!

Fourth, if you think the car is knocking and the ECU is pulling timing, that is easy to determine either with a code scanner (see if you're getting knock - best way to check) or failing that, put some 94 octane, or even 102 octane race gas in and it will provide a "clean baseline" for you to work from.

Don't sulk too much just yet. There is only a single datapoint so far, and you need at least a couple more before you feel down on the cars performance. Good luck!

11. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    thanks for the info

all the numbers I have show a consistent pattern:

- peak at around 2000rpm
    - peak at around 5000rpm
    - minimum at around 6200rpm
    - peak at around 7500rpm

the one around 5000rpm should be max. torque and the switch to the short pipes - the peak at 7500rpm I have no reason for other that ECU mapping (or the described octane problems)

the one around 2000rpm (with the dorp after that) could be caused by your scenario - to start a run the operator would accelerate through the gears (slowly) and once in V gear slow down to around 1500rpm to start the measurement - at that point you would have the worst case situation, i.e. max temperature in the intake (becasue of previous low air flow) - now the operator opens the throttle ....

something to consider for the next dyno run - we should come in with high rpm - dip to 40mph as quickly as possible - go for it - cool

12. SRT-10

SRT-10 Rookie

Dec 16, 2003
    Greater Boston
    spyderman posted:
    Porsche 996TT ** 420/420 ** 3.9 *** 9.4 *** 23.1 *** 12.3 *** 3470
    Ferrari Stradale ** 425/275 ** 4.0 *** 9.5 *** 23.9 *** 12.5 ***3152
    Viper SRT10 '04 ** 500/525 ** 3.9 *** 8.5 *** 22.4 *** 12.1 ***3408
    Ford GT 2005's ** 500/500 ** 3.3 *** 7.6 *** 16.9 *** 11.6 *** 3429

In the January issue of Motor Trend, the 04 Viper beat the 05 Ford GT in the 1/4 mile by .01 sec. (11.77 vs 11.78). This was done in a side-by-side comparison.

Also, go here to see how the 575M fared against the competition (click on bar graphs to enlarge):
    http://www.motortrend.com/features/scenes/112_0306_spdtest/

13. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    The C&D results for the Ford GT were way out of line with reality (at least as far as the listed horsepower and weight), and with all the other car mags. Their times were right there with cars with 150hp more and lighter to boot. I don't know if Ford tried to slip in a hotter motor for press effect, or if there was a mistake.

14. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Interesting that F-car folks dyno their cars and worry about horsepower - it really should not matter. The Viper, Corvette, even Porsche are just more powerful; add price and the Ferrari is just not there. I have the good fortune to have a Viper GTS and 355B and for pure acceleration the Viper is head and shoulders better. The 355 has many things I prefer, like sound and some aspects of the way it feels. I'd hate to have to choose between them.

I will say that I won't bother with an impromptu street race in the 355, too many cars out there would hand me my butt. But that's so immature, I'd never do it anyway ;-)

As for the CS, the thing just mystifies me - very slight reduction in weight, less comfort, no major improvement in power and a huge increase in price. Flame me, but I think it's just the exclusivity that sells the car, nothing remotely objective. But I'm a bit of a cheapskate, so what do I know?

15. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Since you brought it up, why don't you ask Jim G or have a phone conversation with him? Unless you have him on your ignore list, you seem to convienantly leave out the third possibility that they made some changes (tweak boost, slightly lighten). They ARE coming out with a more powerful version after the first production run. Oh wait, nevermind, thats just a mistake too.

16. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    The C&D test was way out of line with all other magazine Ford GT tests, before and after, and out of line with stated hp and weight. If Ford made changes it would have been nice to tell C&D (and the readers). And no, I don't have Jim G on the ignore list, I value his opinions. I still haven't heard anyone, including Jim, say the C&D numbers were reasonable for a 500 hp, 3400 lbs car. Maybe Jim will chime in, but I'm sure his feeling is Ford bumped the hp on the C&D car, so I stand by my statement...they should have told us.

Gary

17. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    have you ever driven a stradale? although the individual changes and improvements by themselves do not seem particularly significant, the combination of these changes came together in a very special way. i have a friend in a technical capacity at ferrari. he doesn't get excited easily. he drove the stradale at fiorano a few months ago and was very excited by the experience. given that he doesn't get too worked up about things i was surprised when he said "the stradale is the best ferrari they've ever made". he said that i should do whatever it took to buy a stradale and keep the car. do not sell it. it is a very special ferrari. he said that the 360 replacement car (the 420 or whatever??) will surely be a great car also, but not nearly as exciting as the stradale.

i have another friend who has owned and/or driven about every ferrari ever made. he drove the stradale recently at fiorano also and said it was the first ferrari since the F40 that made the hair on the back of his neck stand up! he loved the stradale.

as for the cost of a stradale. what can i say? it's a personal thing i guess. for me the intangible "sex appeal" of a special ferrari like the stradale is worth the cost. besides, 100 years from now who's going to care that you spent some of your money to enjoy your life a bit more than may have been strictly necessary :) fyi, my yellow stradale is scheduled to be delivered in february...i can't wait!

18. loungedog

loungedog Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    New Market, Ontario
    Very well said...enjoy your car...love life :) :)

19. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Thomas b

The Shell Optimax is a 98 RON street use pump fuel, available for about 90c (Aus) /litre.

The 360 N-GT (comp 13:1) uses 102 RON Elf WRF race fuel. The same as WRC rally cars. It costs about $5 AUS/litre.

This whole debate clarifies my opinions of Dyno's......They consume so many hours of manpower without yielding any conclusive product that we all go giddy and forget the real target........point to point speed is what we're all after.

$500 spent on driver training will do more for your laptimes than $5000 spent on car improvements.......and I make a living from improving cars! (But I also know a couple of top race drivers/instructors......)

20. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    Thanks for the data and your advice – I am not a big bench racer but I like to put all my cars on a dyno simply to get a better understanding about how they perform – with my 966 TT it was simple: three runs 360rw bhp (SAE) – done – and I never looked back

The attractiveness of the CS is the complete package – performance, technology and looks – if the only criteria is track performance I personally would end up with a Lotus Elise or similar I am sure – the CS is the most refined car I have driven from all the different angels I can think of – it looks to me like someone has gone over the 360 with a lot of serious race experience - perfect with the exception of the horn buttons on the steering wheel :)

Furthermore the dyno result does not reflect what I feel driving the car – before the run I would have bet that the CS has more low-end power than the Modena and believed that it even showed a bit the kick-in-the-pants characteristics of the 996 TT above 5K rpm. I might have been fooled by the much improved F1 and the perfect fit (and resulting car contact) of the sport seats.

I published the dyno run to get feedback about my car's behavior which I think is useful (I wasn’t aware that It would create such a large response and would force me to study HP, dynos etc. in such a depth) – anyhow what I found correlates very well with some of the performance guidelines you gave and so here it goes (lengthy):

Ferrari lists 409 CV as performance in the CS owner’s manual – CV (Cheval Vapeur - French) is equivalent (linguistic) to PS (Pferdestaerke - German). Most car magazines simply perform a "linguistic translation" of PS/CV into HP and are done with it. This ignores that in the US BHP (Brake Horse Power) is used:
    PS = CV = 1.01387 * BHP

Unfortunately that is not the complete story since at the same time we have crossed standards. There are ECE EC 95/11, DIN 70020, SAE J1349, JIS D1001, ISO 1585,… The most important ones for this discussion are EC used by Ferrari (CV), DIN used by Porsche (PS), SAE used in the US (BHP). Using the Ka computation of a dyno manual I could validate the following:
    HP numbers(EC) > HP numbers(DIN) > HP numbers (SAE) given same parameters

I also did find two conversions; however I could not validate them:
    HP(EC) ~ 1.015 * HP(DIN)
    HP(DIN) ~ 1.0139 * HP(SAE)

Taking the 409 CV owner’s manual number for the CS we get:
    409 CV (EC) ---> 403 PS (DIN) ---> 397 HP (SAE) ----> 392 BHP (SAE)

The PS (DIN) number would be the base for a P GT3 and the BHP (SAE) the base for a Ford GT comparison (if one wishes to do so) – the BHP number should be also the starting point for a dyno run. Besides being amusing that magazines and some of our discussions have compared apples and oranges there is a reason why I find this conversion interesting.

Taking the 360 Modena numbers:
    400 CV (EC) --> 394 PS (DIN) --> 388 HP (SAE) --> 383 BHP (SAE)

we are pretty much in the range of numbers you have sketched for the Challenge cars: min. 380 BHP (SAE) to min. 395 BHP (SAE) with optimized exhaust, no cats, etc.

It looks to me that the numbers F provides match and I don't think F can be blamed for a mess apparently everybody participates in.

To continue; I believe that the CS engine has been optimized in two ways a.) engine tolerances (i.e. maxed and narrowed; eg 11+/-2 : 1 compression of the Modena vs. 11.2:1 for the CS b.) improved exhaust. So the 392 BHP (SAE) fit into the sketched range perfectly and it make sense to me.

To go back into the realm of pure speculation the 15% drive line loss rule for dynos applies to SAE BHP numbers and the confusion we have seen before resulted from applying it cross standards and measurement units. Applying 15% would yield (10% would be all the better):
    CS: 392 BHP (SAE) flywheel ---> 333 BHP (SAE) rear wheel

My conclusion form all the this is that my car is short in power under dyno conditions and I will go after that – so the dyno run was useful for me – and if it is an octane problem all the better.

Note aside – manufacturing standards allow for a +/- 5% tolerance in HP for cars - so all the numbers I have seen discussed would actually be valid figures!

so after all the above ........point to point speed is what we're all after ... makes sense :)

21. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    5%! Wow. That seems overly generous considering modern machining, fuel injection, and ECU engine control technology. I would have thought more like 1 or 2%.

Gary

22. 4sfed4

4sfed4 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    Most mass produced cars are much closer to the 1-2% you mentioned.

23. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    Ah - here I can shine with knowledge I never thought I would have :)

EU approval for an engine type - based on engine dyno measurements:

- the engine power determined by the governing body is allowed to differ from the one reported by the manufacturer by at most +/- 2%

- the validation test during production that determines if an engine matches with the certified power output for the engine type has to fall within +/-5%

don't know if individual manufacturers have a tighter standard internally - however consider the output of the average engine (EU) - wild guess 80HP - not sure if 1-2% is realistic in that case

24. 4sfed4

4sfed4 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    I dont really have an EU certification knowledge or experience so I couldnt comment on way or the other. I am just going by looking at many many dyno runs and looking at how they vary from same model car to same model car on the same dyno. Most stock (i.e unmolested by their owners) cars are very very close.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the conditions need to be nearly identical between power runs. Something like coolant temp change can make a very large difference in power output on most cars (i.e. far more than 1-2%!)

It also appears that many domestic models seem to provide more than the advertised hp.

25. 4sfed4

4sfed4 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    To me, that would be unacceptable but I supposed it could happen.

Imagine plunking down $80k for a new 500 hp Viper and one's buddy does the same. The both cars hit the Dynojet and one makes 25 hp more than the other! That would be upsetting.