360 F1 Pump problems and solutions | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 F1 Pump problems and solutions

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by LMPDesigner, Jul 26, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shumdit

Shumdit Formula Junior

May 9, 2006
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Matthew B.
    To revive this thread: Why would you not put a 50 Amp Circuit Breaker in line as mentioned and just carry a spare 30 Amp relay with you in the car so if it ever tripped, you would just replace the 30 AMP relay then and there and then reset the Circuit Breaker?? Minimal downtime and no need for a tow to home or a dealer?

2. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    Because usually by the time the fuse has blown, the damage has been done. The relay sticks, the motor burns out then the fuse blows. Sucks really, but that's how it is.

3. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    (1). Find a motor with more torque (adaptor mounting plate needed), so it will draw less AMP which will prevent the relay to overheat and weld together

(2). Change to a relay that can handle more AMPs. (Looks like this is what Ferrari decided to do)

4. traknut

traknut Karting

Mar 30, 2006
    I am interested. I have a 2001 360 with 28,000 miles on it.

5. coxyboy

coxyboy Rookie

Apr 24, 2009
    Just read your explanation of how the F1 pump works,yesterday i came home switched the Engine off but something kept running i now think its the F1 pump youve been talking about,the inside cover of the grey relay is burned and ive ordered a new one but will the motor be ok or will it have been burnt out?Two questions will the new relay be damaged if i fit it with a damaged motor and where is the motor ,sorry three questions have you made a modified kit yet? Nigel

6. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Wish I had read this sooner. I have a an 04 360 coupe with 24000 km's and my brother has an 02 spider. We would both be interested in a kit to solve the f1 pump issues. Knock on wood, have not had any problems yet in three years of ownership...

LS

7. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    there isn't a kit. If you use the search facility you will find many, many threads on this subject. Honest truth? Change the relay, fit the newer type pump and forget about it.

8. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Kevin, sorry but this is factually incorrect however the party(Ferrari) line is that you can only change the whole module which includes the hydrauliuc module which is perfectly ok and the electric motor which is not! when I repaired mine I had all the cost horror stories until I started thinking about it logically i.e. there was no way Ferrari would design and build just the complete unit there just had to be this part powering something else and in the 355 F1 case I am led to beieve that the motor is in an Alfa but do not know for sure, anyway see the link for how I repaired it at a considerably less price than $15K its an easy read and the fix was just as easy and took about an hour.
    Dave
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141089

9. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    I drive an 03 spider and would like in on a kit to mitigate the relay / pump motor failure. Just ordered a relay from Ricambi as a preventative measure.

10. coxyboy

coxyboy Rookie

Apr 24, 2009
    Hi i wrote about a couple of months ago when i had trouble with my F1 pump,as we all know it needs a 50 amp relay which i ordered but on trying to fit it onto the standard 30 amp socket the pins were too big!!But when i looked closely only the two larger pins wouldnt go in so i took them to my workshop and filed them down a little tricky but no big deal untill they fitted then the relay fitted and everything worked fine now with a 50 amp relay.But alass yesterday the pump motor finally gave up i think it had been damaged when the first 30 amp relay siezed up,I am now going to buy a new motor cost here is around £600 pounds but when i fit it it will be working with a 50 amp relay Nigel

11. jgelovani

jgelovani Karting
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2009
    Would you please review my thread advise me what to do next:
    "360 F1 Hydraulic Pump Relay Pictures (inside)"

Thank you in advance.