360 F1 won’t shift passed 2nd | FerrariChat

360 F1 won’t shift passed 2nd

Discussion in '360/430' started by jg360, Feb 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jg360

jg360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Gurrieri
    Hi guys. New to the ferrari world and so excited!!! It’s been my childhood dream!
    I purchased a 1999 360 F1. I knew going in that this car needed a lot of work but I didn’t mind because I love working on my cars and wanted something that I can really get involved with and get familiarized with. So my issue is with the F1 noting working properly. It will only shift up to 2 nd gear. I even tried with the engine off. I took it for a quick drive to get gas and I could get it to go to the upper gears of a reeves out second, go to neutral and up shift. It usually would go to 6th or 5th depending on the speed I was at. It downshift no problem.
    After I got gas it actually started to shift normal but the rpms would rev up inbetween each shift as if the clutch was slipping. I wasn’t stomping on the gas pedal. It was like depression the clutch pedal. Once it would grab it was fine and wouldn’t slip. Drove home and parked it
    I disconnected The battery overnight and Next day went for another drive. When I started the car the gear box light went off. Started off and as I tried to shift from 2nd to 3rd....nothing! 1st and 2nd only! As soon as I went to 2nd gear light came back on. As I drove back home it was getting worse. No reverse and straight to 2nd gear. It now won’t go into 1st.

I tried cleaning the sensors. I really don’t want to start buys parts without really having a starting point. I was talking to friend here in NJ and had mentioned he rembered about a guy who makes house calls to repair Ferrari’s.
    Would love to get an sd2 just to figure out what’s going on
    Any help would be much appreciated!!!
    Thanks

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Fluid level ? This a relatively typical first check (there should be multiple threads here on how to check - it is very likely threads covering subsequent steps are too)

3. jg360

jg360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Gurrieri
    Yes fluid is good

4. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    What does the computer think is wrong with it? Is it a bad actuator? Perceived clutch wear? That's what needs to be resolved.
    How did you clean the sensors without opening the clutch bell?

Put it on an SD or leonardo and find out.

5. jg360

jg360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Gurrieri
    I cleaned the speed sensor and the 2 angular sensors which are on the outside of the gear box. I read on some of the posts that this could give the tau some false readings. I am trying to locate someone that has an SD or leonardo/galileo in my area. I live in north Jersey and could use some help.

6. jg360

jg360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Gurrieri
    I know that there is a clutch sensor inside the bell housing and that it can be removed without removing the gear box. Not sure if cleaning that would help or just replacing it.....
    Anyone in my area with a diagnostic tool i can use to scan with? :)

7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    In case you didn't know, the indicator on the dip stick is wrong and will result in over filling. That is why Grayboxer told you to look at one of the threads on that subject.

Curt is right, you can't fix an F1 without extensive knowledge about the system AND an SD. I have found that many dealers don't know how or can't set up the F1 correctly. You are going to have to take this to someone who has the tools and expertise. You can do a lot on these cars but some things are really beyond what you can do without expensive tools. Your current approach isn't going to produce satisfactory results even if you get it shifting to upper gears.

Keith Ngulube and catdog like this.
  8. jg360

jg360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Gurrieri
    Skikid, thanks for the response. I did some research on the oil level. The oil is just below the first line. I am looking for a shop in the northern New Jersey area. any suggestion

9. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

my hunch is that if you got a leo/sd2 to tighten the PIS, it will alleviate the problem or even solve the problem completely.
    but if your clutch is really slipping, clutch job is then what you needed regardless

10. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    I am having the same exact problem.....lucky us ! My problems started suddenly, a day after the car drove great, actually it was long drive, all kinds of driving, street, back road, highway and drove flawless.

Next day same exact problem as yours, F1 light on solid, no shift up past 2nd, did not try neutral and then upshift. Battery is older but shows 12.68 volts, always on tender, and still has 500 cca's, so good. Bought new battery, will install tomorrow, just in case, and it is 5 years old. I switched F1 relay with my spare, all is good in that area. When I open drivers door after sitting overnight pump runs 6-7 seconds, sounds good. Fluid level is at 5-6 mm above disc after full pressure is built. I also removed the rear transmission magnetic speed sensor on the trans case and cleaned that off, have not test drove yet.

Here is the weird issue along with this: Engine off, key on I operate the gears, and works like I remember it, every second shift up or down, or reverse, F1 pump runs a few seconds, then off. This is normal for my car. If I sit there with key on, engine off, and do not not operate gears, F1 pump does not run.....Here is the mystery, engine ON, F1 pump runs every 7-8 seconds for 3-4 seconds while NOT operating the gears ! Losing pressure quick with engine on, but not with engine off.....strange.

Also had the reverse lever break and was flopping around, I thought that was it, but I fixed that and still have issue.

Yes I plan to take the car in to my local indie, I would rather not flatrack it, but drive it there, bad experience in this car with a towing, but if I have to will do. Definitely need a expert to diagnose this, just really would like to drive it there. I will try tomorrow with shifting to neutral, then upshift to see if I can get to the shop on its own.
    Lastly, the windshield wipers now suddenly do not work...so the mystery deepens. Almost seems like a electrical issue somewhere, possibly affecting separate issues.

11. jg360

jg360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Gurrieri
    So with the engine off you can shift through all the gears?
    I can only shift to up to 2nd gear. It won’t go passed 2nd.
    My pimp does the same when I open the door. I did notice tonight while working on the radio and key on the pump primed every 5 min or so....no sure if that’s normal.

J360M likes this.
  12. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    No, engine off only to 2nd. Priming every 5 minutes sounds ok to me.

13. jg360

jg360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Gurrieri
    Let me know if you take your car in today and what the diagnosis is.

14. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Bert, if you are losing pressure that fast (3-5 sec) you likely have a major leak somewhere. The SD should help isolate the issue but I would guess an accumulator issue or an issue with the actuator. There also may be a check valve in the system that isn't holding but I am VERY FAR from an expert on this. I have a basic working knowledge.

I am pretty confident that the PIS suggestion isn't correct. That won't throw a transmission light.

One more thought, if the engine lid is open it won't go into gear so there may be an issue there. I also have some foggy memory of a discussion about the system limiting the gear selection on a failed switch (like limp mode). IF that is true it could be the culprit. This is why you really need someone who knows the system inside and out, plus access to an SD. There are just too many possible issues.

15. jg360

jg360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Gurrieri
    Anyone in Northern New Jersey willing to help out with an SD2???

16. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Plenty of shops in the tristate that has Sd2, why dont you hit them up?

17. ideloera

ideloera Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Isi
    Had a similar issue with my F430 and the issue was with the potentiometers.

18. jg360

jg360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Gurrieri
    I would love to get a referal....any suggestion or past experience?

19. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Classic coach, Ferrari of Central NJ, Ferrari of Long Island, Bradan Group, J Scuderia Automotive etc

20. jg360

jg360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Gurrieri
    Thank you! I will give them a ring....

21. jg360

jg360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Gurrieri
    Is the pump supposed to go on every time you open the door?

22. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yes. Well, mostly. It primes the system to pressure so if you open the door and close it again. Then open it a 2nd time it may not go on. If you just parked the car the pressure will be up too, so no pump actuation. BUT, in general it will go on every time you open the door.

23. jg360

jg360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Gurrieri
    So I was abl to get my hands on an Auto Maxisys MS908.....not happy though because it would not communicate with the F1 module. The owner of the Autel is contacting them to see if there is some kind of software issue or update. The weird thing is that it was able to communicate with all of the other module. It even detected an error code with the seatbelt tensioner (short Circuit) so ill be working on that in the mean time.
    Im beginning to think that there may be an issue with the TCU since the Autel couldn't communicate with it. Am I far off with this? what do you guys think?

24. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Have a look at this program, it will read both ECUs and the gearbox on a 430. You can use on a laptop either blu tooth or wi fi. Very good value and its a direct download from France

25. jg360

jg360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Gurrieri
    I don’t see any links or name of software