360 F1 won’t shift passed 2nd | Page 3 | FerrariChat

360 F1 won’t shift passed 2nd

Discussion in '360/430' started by jg360, Feb 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jg360

jg360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Gurrieri
    So my saga continuous..........After replacing the gear sensor, i took the car for a drive and noticed the gears were grinding. I figured the previous owner never checked the gear oil so I decided to check. As I pulled the filler plug out I had a volcano of slug pouring out!!! Did some more research on Fchat and figured it was a bad heat exchanger. So I have replaced it and wasn't as bad as i expected, I went through the rear hatch removing the water pump. While I was there i replaced all belts and the tensioner pulleys. I have done three tile changes to flush out the gearbox and installed Royal Purple for my last fill. Most of the gear grinding has gone away except downshifting 4-3. Some times 3-2. Im going to put some more miles easy miles on it and change it one more time. I'm hoping that the grinding goes away, if not Ill be rebuild the gearbox over the winter.
    On to another issue i mentioned on a previous post, I am still getting the P1760 brake switch error and occasional P0600 can error code. Just to point out these are in the TCU module and not the ECU's. Does this mean that there could be an issue from the TCU to the can bus? Im going to start looking at the wiring and all connections.

2. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    John,
    You are 100% correct...!
    Without a clear understanding how a system works and diagnostic equipment that can identify a fault with parameter monitoring you are pretty much wasting your time. I have been in the automotive field my entire career I've never repaired a vehicle without fully understanding the symptom then a proper diagnoses.
    Although brand new to Ferrari I'm learning everyday....this F1 system is unique and one hell of a design.....from my perspective it is a external valve body controlling a mechanical shifter....
    I do admire the willingness on this forum to help others..
    K//

3. jg360

jg360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Gurrieri
    Yea, I realized how helpful everyone is on this forum after reading many posts. As I keep digging in and reading more posts, Im begging to understand how my 360 works. When I purchased the car in February I knew I had my work cut out for me but I am determined to get this car back to 100% the way its supposed to be. Now that the F1 is working I am able to take her out an enjoy her. Im just having a hard time with these two last codes.

4. Flyingbrick242

Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    I commend you for your efforts and attention to focus on the task at hand, Being new to the Ferrari technical world I am slowly building my knowledge everyday at the same time aquireing my needed tools, workshop manual, electrical manual and a scanner..
    Your reoccurring fault codes are clear indications where to focus..attention master Ferrari techs please chime in and help this Fchat brother..
    I'll keep watching this thread...
    K//

5. jg360

jg360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Gurrieri
    Ok guys! So I had some time to try and figure this can error but had no luck today. I traced all the wires that has to do with the tcu and the brake switch cleaned all connections and made sure their were no lose wires or bad connections.
    This is what is happening.....
    Key on and scan for codes. I get the brake switch and can error and f1 light on.
    Clear codes and rescan. All good
    Turn key off and on
    Rescan and can error code back on
    Clear codes and rescan. All good
    Turn key off and on
    Rescan and can error code back on.

Not understanding why it only comes back on when I cycle the key? Could it be a bad ECU? Why is the error in the tcu module only and not in the motronics?
    Any insight would be much appreciated

Thanks

6. jg360

jg360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Gurrieri
  7. jg360

jg360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Gurrieri
  8. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Sounds like there's something bogging down the CAN bus. You might want to check the two termination resistors along the bus. Have you tried disconnecting the TCU and rescan with tool? Just to see whether the CAN bus error comes back or not.

9. jg360

jg360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Gurrieri
    No I have not. I’ll try that tonight. Come to think of it, it only comes up on the TCU module. Not on the ecu’s. Where are the 2 termination resistors.

10. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #60 mello, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
    The termination resistors are at: 22B and 18G - Resistance value should be 120/ohms
    You might also want to check that the joint connectors 10G, 17G, 14G, 15G and 12P are tight. The CAN bus wires are White/Green pair. These are off the wiring diagrams for a Spider, but should be very close for a coupe as well. Also take a look at the connectors in the back of the instrumentation cluster. There should be a CAN bus pair behind that as well.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    That’s unlikely to happen and shouldn’t be expected. For us it’s inquisitiveness for them it’s their livelihood. Most have given up posting on here because of some comments received.....a shame but why give time and hard earned knowledge for free then get flamed
    It’s a gap in FChat but maybe there is space for a professional support option that you pay for. Or maybe not!

The OP really needs to get a good F1 technician. Braden were mentioned above but there must be others and take the car in. They may let you work alongside them or at least explain the issue and resolution.
    The system is relatively simple despite what you may be led to believe, the real clever bit is inside the TCU.

12. Flyingbrick242

Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Totally understood...!
    Expected absolutely not, nice gesture to help out someone in need why not...?
    There is nothing mysterious about a can bus...wiring diagram/ electrical specification [terminating resistance] and DVOM one should be able to sort out...
    Speaking of terminating resistance typically it is 120 ohms within the designated CU...when its partnering CU is in the circuit it and all is well the wiring it should measure around 60ohms....
    I'm new to Ferrari but not new to the technical side of the automotive world I've learned allot from this forum and love the passion we have for our Ferrari's.
    I think you may be onto something with a special site within this forum to assist with the DIY....just a thought..?
    K//

13. jg360

jg360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Gurrieri
    Ive tried a few Ferrari Technicians and have not had any luck. It seem that these guys are no different than your ordinary tech who claims they know everything. I have been turning wrenches since i was 12 years old and i don't claim to know everything. I just like to work on my own cars/motorcycles and my 360 was my dream car and i don't trust just anyone to work on it. Ive had way too many bad experiences. I love working on them and its a challenge for me. I figured that what other place to look for some guidance other than here with those as passionate as i am about Ferraris . Anyways, i appreciate all that have assisted this far.

Thanks
    John G

14. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    John,

They’re not all the same. I’m in the UK and there are a few I’d highly recommend in a heartbeat. The US can’t be any different.
    If you read my posts on other threads I’m as inquisitive as anyone, particularly on the F1 system so good luck with your endeavours and keep posting.

M

15. jg360

jg360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Gurrieri
    Mike your absolutey correct and im sorry, they are not all the same. I just haven't had any luck finding a good tech that i can't trust.

16. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    I am not overly familiar as to the electrical workings of the F1 system, but has a bad clutch sensor been considered?

Maybe disconnect it and then run the scans again as you have to see if the errors appear again?

Just a thought

17. jg360

jg360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Gurrieri
    I don’t think anything will happen since the error codes are in the tcu module. I’m going to test the can bus and see what readings I get.

18. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    You mentioned that you get a brake switch error message and since touching the brake is part of the F1 system maybe the error is coming from something external that affects the entire system.

That's why I suggested checking the clutch sensor.

Could be the clutch sensor is bad and causing the error messages and lacking of progressing to higher gears.

It just seems that you are going through a huge procedure in your system testing, and it might be a simpler issue than it appears created by a failed or failing component.

19. jg360

jg360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Gurrieri

20. jg360

jg360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Gurrieri
    What I meant was if I disconnect the tcu I won’t be able to read and codes since the error codes come up in the tcu module only.

So if it was the clutch sensor won’t I get some kind of error on that? Just an FYI the car shifts now since I replaced the speed sensor.

21. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    I was not suggesting to disconnect the TCU.

I was getting after the issue of a sensor since the wiring in the car had not changed, and you spent time tracing that.

It made sense that it was something of a sensor that was causing codes.

Bottom line is that you are back to a functional shift pattern.

22. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    #72 knocker, May 27, 2018
    Last edited: May 27, 2018
    Just a hunch but at 32% your clutch sensor and ecu are saying just replace the clutch and my heat exchanger went at 87000 Klms
    Took ages to clean it all out coolant in gearbox ect once done we had a run for 900klms in one day got home more sludge in coolant reservoir replaced coolant transmission oil again now clear but gears grumble in reverse specially with steering and 3/4 synchro click clack but so far 10,000 so good ,cars done 110000 klms runs like a Swiss clock really good motors, strong gearbox but they take a pounding sorry to hear your having a hard time but once sorted they are a joy good luck Adrian Oz

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    So based on. Your other post was the actuator the issue ?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

24. jg360

jg360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Gurrieri
    No. After I replaced the sensor it shift fine. I replaced the actuator because it was leaking trans fluid from one of the potentiometer ports. It’s going to need a rebuild. I’m going to tear it apart to see what it’s all about.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

flash32 likes this.
  25. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I tried and go back and see which sensor .. but for the benefit for future reference which sensor did you change .. where did you buy and how much

Trying to help the society here for the future

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk