360 F1 | FerrariChat

360 F1

Discussion in '360/430' started by MikeS, Dec 11, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MikeS

MikeS Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Mike S
    It is time to spec my March build but the slot is for an F1 box. Dealer is unsure how much longer a wait for a 6 speed would be, but he predicts many months. I have driven both and remain undecided. I am getting rid of my '02 Porsche Turbo 6 speed, so I have no bug for a manual box but I do enjoy it. The F 1 is intriguing as a state of art performance box.

Does it sound correct that the 6 speed is tough to get ?

Does anyone regret having the F 1 box ?

I have read many of the prior posts so I don't mean to re-open this topic (much), but a bit of help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    3 f1's come in for every 6 spd so just do the math.Had a 6spd 360--now a 575 F1 loved them both-no regrets-just diff experiences.
    Can't go wrong either way IMO

3. Coyote

Coyote Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    My dealer in Toronto did the same thing to me. I ordered a manual box 360 and eventually got an F1 model because the dealer said "you can have an F1 model this summer or wait until who knows when for a manual box model". Of course I couldn't resist and took the F1 model. But having said that I do very much like the F1 box. It works perfectly and hasn't given me any trouble over 5500km. I'm not sure whether it's worth CDN$20,000 extra though and I don't like the way Ferrari is pushing it down people's throats. I haven't tried a manual box model so I can't offer any comments about it.

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I own a number of cars with a number of different boxes. I must admit I never thought I'd like an F1 box. I also thought I'd have a problem switching from one back to the other. I'm surprized how much I like the F1 in certain cars. Even though I like the 3 speed non syncro box in my Duesy I really like the F1 in my Maser. An F1 would be out of place in my P4 but in a 360 I think it would be fine. It's funny I recently drove a Murcie. To me it felt like it wanted an e/shift. I found the F1 in the Enzo super but note that P is using a manual shifter in the new Carerra GT. In a 360 I'd go with an F1 but it's neither right nor wrong. ( I do think an F1 wouldn't feel right in a vintage car)

5. mrmckay

mrmckay Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2003
    MD, USA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I was told essentially the same thing by my dealer. The F1 360s are much easier to come by than the 6spds. Have you driven anything w/ the F1 tranny to see how it feels to you? ( I'd go for the F1 personally. )The technology has definitely improved since the 355 debut.

6. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    Mike
    I've owned 2 360s. The first one was a std 6spd and now I have the F1 in the spider. I prefer the F1 by quite a bit. My next Ferrari will also have the F1. In any other sport's car I would opt for the std 6spd but the F1 in the Ferrari seems like a perfect fit.

7. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert

Remember that F1 option cost $10,000 more than a manual 6 speed. If people do not care if they will want a F1 or manual 6 speed, wouldn't one just pick the option that costs $10,000 less?

If the F1 and the manual 6 speed were to cost the same amount, then that stat "3 F1's come in for every 6 spd" would have more relevance.