360/F430 cylinder head stud, TTY and need to replace? | FerrariChat

360/F430 cylinder head stud, TTY and need to replace?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by mahlerfree, Feb 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mahlerfree

mahlerfree Karting

Dec 19, 2019
    I am replacing piston rings on my 360 and on shop manual I see no mention of replacing the cylinder head studs.
    I did other marques and almost all need those studs to be replaced, any ideas or something special about 360/f430?

2. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    If you use your old studs you should retorque the heads after about 500 miles. If you use new studs you do not need to retorque the heads. In either case use the factory torque settings and tightening sequence.

mahlerfree likes this.
  3. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I have reused head studs several times. One key point I will add. Pay attention to how much it takes to get the torque. I have had some that torque right on the spec. I have had others that take too many degrees to get what I want. I run them down until compete contact on all nuts. I then watch how many degrees of rotation it takes to achieve the torque for step one. If I have a stud that takes more than others, it gets replaced. Same with the second step of 90 degrees, I use a digital wrench and watch the torque number. If it goes "soft", replace it.

mahlerfree likes this.
  4. mahlerfree

mahlerfree Karting

Dec 19, 2019
    When you replace the head studs, do you hand tighten it all the way down or you use the "2 nut" method?
    any lubricants used?

5. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I have a stud tool that has a threaded collet you clamp on the stud to removed and re-install. I like them to be hand seated. I feel that if you tighten or bottom them in the hole they tend to bind and "lean". This makes sliding the head on more difficult. I see no advantage in having the threads prestressed by bottoming them.
    I also take an old stud and hand cut a cleaning groove and use that as a thread cleaner for the block. I don't want to use a tap and remove any metal.

24000rpm likes this.