360 instrument cluster backlights out | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 instrument cluster backlights out

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by traknut, Sep 8, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeteV

PeteV Rookie

Mar 23, 2010
    Thanks Terry, I live in the UK, they is a company local to me who says they can fix it, but whilst I've got the cluster out of the car I wondered if there was somthing else I could try.

Thanks for taking the time the reply.

Cheers
    Pete

2. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Those electroluminescent panels need a DC/DC converter to increase the voltage at probably #100V. If changing the panel did not solve the issue you may have a problem on some components of the converter. Can you locate it? No brown or black mark around some components?

3. james patterson

james patterson Formula Junior
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 8, 2003
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    James Patterson
    I've also sent a few to Rod, both 360 and 575. Customers and I were both pleased with the results and the price. Quick turnaround as well.

4. naidesuil

naidesuil Rookie

Nov 8, 2011
    #29 naidesuil, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    They are indeed the 2 transistors of the DC/AC inverter for the electroluminescent panel.
    I have not tested them but I agree they are most probably mosfet. Don't know if they are N or P type though.
    Why are you suspecting them? Have you checked that the transformer is OK? Have you made some measurements with an oscilloscope? Can you hear the tiny hissing of the inverter?
    To know the type of the transistors, I would suggest you to unsolder them, and to check them on table ... assuming one is still OK.

6. naidesuil

naidesuil Rookie

Nov 8, 2011
    Did not check the transformer yet. Seems no current to this part of the dash.

Will check further.

Wbr

7. naidesuil

naidesuil Rookie

Nov 8, 2011
    Upon checking further, yes these mosfet blew up. Replaced but still current low. Have to check other parts now.

wbr

8. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    '01 360 spider. Driving this evening and the backlight just failed. Needles work fine, just can't read gauges.
    Has anyone come up with a repair for this that doesn't involve a new pod at $4,000 bucks?

9. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Guys, a while back I looked into El panels to enhance my tach in my 308 after LEDs were added. The LEDs worked well but the tach was a little dimmer then the speedo. Anyway, in my searches came across this company. I am sure that you could use one of their kits to get your instruments illuminated again for cheap. Multiple colors too: Be sure to just click on the BUY ONLINE link to get the list. They also have 12volt DC inverters ready to go.

http://www.luminousfilm.com/el_lamp.htm

10. Rojo

Rojo Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2009
    Stillwater
    Full Name:
    Bob

11. louie23

louie23 Karting

Jan 11, 2012
    Japan
    Full Name:
    Louie
    #36 louie23, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If anyone is in need of replacement EL Panels for your 360 Challenge Stradale, 360 Modena, 360 Spider, 575 M, F430 (just to name a few) send me a PM. I have custom made EL Panels that are plug and play replacements for the backlight. I have them on Ebay for $275 Buy It Now. Free Shipping if you mention this post.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. louie23

louie23 Karting

Jan 11, 2012
    Japan
    Full Name:
    Louie
    I meant to say $250.

13. Jpc35

Jpc35 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Irvine
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Fai in costs Mesa ca can replace the backlight(I don't work there).i have sent them several and they were repaired with no problem

14. louie23

louie23 Karting

Jan 11, 2012
    Japan
    Full Name:
    Louie
    Panels are all sold out! PM me if you guys are still in need of a Panel. The $250 price tag is now obsolete. Contact me for a current price including shipping. Regards!

15. ttkl

ttkl Rookie

Aug 12, 2012
    I would like to buy a EL panel for my Ferrari F360.Could you please send me the up to date
    price for the EL panel.My email address:[email protected] live in Australia
    Regards,
    ttkl

16. Josean Martinez

Jan 28, 2013
    San Juan PR
    Full Name:
    Josean Martinez
    Where can I get Plastic Glass for Modena 360 instruments??

17. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    Do you mean the plastic cover that covers the entire gauge cluster?

18. traknut

traknut Karting

Mar 30, 2006
    Wow..very cool...Thanks

19. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Rookie

Sep 8, 2005
    Liverpool UK
    Full Name:
    John Reynolds
    Hi Louie will this price ($250) apply to shipping to the UK and will this be compatible with my 1999 UK F1 360? kind regards, John

20. louie23

louie23 Karting

Jan 11, 2012
    Japan
    Full Name:
    Louie
    @John- I have honestly been busy with work and side projects, that I haven't had a chance to prepare any more panels. But it should be fine to work on all 360's with stock clusters. I will try to get something going next week. I will get back to you.

21. crashnberg

crashnberg Rookie

Jun 13, 2014
    Hi Louie, I'm interested in a panel too. Could you mail me at [email protected] if you still cane make them. I am in uk.

Kind regards

Jared

22. ksanjana

ksanjana Karting

Oct 28, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Hi Louie,

I am interested in buying an EL panel. Please email at [email protected]

Thx
    Kurush

23. ksanjana

ksanjana Karting

Oct 28, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Hi Louie,

Do you still have an EL panel you can sell? Please email me [email protected]

Thx
    Kurush

24. chris lake

chris lake Rookie

Dec 24, 2014
    put my 2003 360 F1 in this week to have the water temp sensor changed as engine light intermittently comes on and the garage (reputable ferrari) gave me the fault code,ordered genuine sensor 000180137, garage fitted it,picked car up,started engine,light still on,left car another day,garage rang to say light out,test driven 20 miles,picked car up started engine light comes back on,could it be the plug to the sensor and not the sensor?, its the 1 in the water pump body, any advise would be very gratefull

25. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Chris- Try asking this question in the 360/F430 section. You will get a better response than in this instrument panel thread.