[360] Intermittent A/C issue | FerrariChat

[360] Intermittent A/C issue

Discussion in '360/430' started by F-Serge, Oct 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Hi guys,

I've owned my 360 Spider for over 5 years now, and had this issue since the day of purchase but never got round to documenting, let alone fixing it!

Here's what the issue is: occasionally when I start the car the A/C wouldn't blow air through the vents. I think it happens more often when the temp knob is on 'cold' or one of the colder settings compared to the outside temperature, but it did happen on 'hot' a couple of months ago in the middle of Australian winter. Yesterday we had a +30 C day and the issue came up again - no cold air, so I've decided to reach out to the wider community.

From memory, on longer drives, it would sometimes start blowing air after a period of time (5-15 minutes from starting the car), especially when I rev the engine off the lights. When it does kick in, it works fine. When it doesn't work it makes no difference what position the temp and air direction knobs are in. Also makes no difference if STOP button is on or off.

Has anyone experienced it in their cars? Any idea what the problem might be?

Thanks!

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    It could be the actuator that controls the position of the vent flap. You can look at the parameters of the A/C system with an SD2 to see what position the ECU sees has been requested and what position the flaps are in.

3. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Thanks Brian. Catching this issue is a bit of a problem, as I mostly drive the car on the weekends when shops with SD2 are usually closed. Since it's a spider it's not a big issue for me, just wanted to see if anyone else has had it - seems like it's pretty unique.

4. F1Spider

F1Spider Karting

Jan 8, 2013
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    It happened in my 360 Spider. Sometimes it would take 30-45 minutes for my A/C to start. They had to replace an internal part to fix it and wallah it is fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    If it were me.. I'd take the panel in the front trunk out (the one with the emergency inflator on it in front of the windshield). What I would do then is on a hot day turn on the AC as you normally would.

You'll be able to feel the silver aluminum AC tubes. The cold line should condense water on it and then even frost over. You can feel it getting cool. If it gets cold the AC compressor is turning on and refrigerant is flowing through the system. If there it is not getting colder then either 1) the AC compressor is not being engaged -or- 2) there is insufficient refrigerant in the system -or- 3) there is an electrical issue in the system

I had to replace my AC ECU this last summer with a used part. It was wonky beforehand and then just stopped working outright one day. Thought it was the refrigerant, but then the compressor woudln't click on when I disengaged the "STOP" button (pops UP). FYI flap door also wouldn't actuate with the wonky ECU.

6. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
    thanks Curt, this is a great suggestion. I'll give it a try and report back.