360 Modena gear engagement problem | FerrariChat

360 Modena gear engagement problem

Discussion in '360/430' started by ModenaF1, Sep 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ModenaF1

ModenaF1 Rookie

Sep 1, 2012
    Hello. Im new to the forum and i recently bought a 02' Grigio Alloy 360 Modena F1. I own that car for about 2 months and im very satisfied with it. It has the 360 CS TCU upgrade as also the fabspeed ECU tunning. It was also serviced for a new clutch and a belt service. Now i have two problems which appeared few days ago. When im in sport mode and try to hard accelerate through the gears and the car starts accelerating from the first gear till the limiter, sometimes the second gear do not engage even if im pushing the paddle to do it and the engine hits the limiter continuously till i push the shifter for once more and then the 3rd gear comes. No 2nd gear! It does not happen every time, but 3 out of 10 times will for sure happen and always between the first 2 gears and sport mode. Another problem i observed is that sometimes when i drive with the normal F1 mode and changing gears usualy the F1 error cell appears just for a second exactly at the proccess of the next gear engagement. Im realy interested in your opinions. Thank you for your time.

2. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    Incorrect clutch set up, or gear position sensor fault are two things that spring to mind, it could also have air trapped in the actuator, an internal actuator piston seal fault or a lazy pump. You should take it back to the guy who fitted the clutch.

3. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Eddie suggestions are great. I agree with his initial diagnosis but want to add that while Eddie mentions the gear position sensor it could also be related to actual gear position, meaning the actual actuator selector position. That position is adjustable (with a fixture) and could have gotten a small margin out of its parameters.

4. ModenaF1

ModenaF1 Rookie

Sep 1, 2012
    Thank you all for your valuable answers. I will take it to my service dealer for an SD/2 diagnose.

5. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Fine, "re-centering the actuator" is what I referred to / if you need to talk shop with the tech you work with. Their SD tool should be able to read off enough data that the tech will be able to diagnose this reasonably quick... hopefully.

6. ModenaF1

ModenaF1 Rookie

Sep 1, 2012
    Thank you Michael. I remember, as also a Maserati owner before, that the SD has some tools which reprograms the F1. My mechanic probably knows what to use.

7. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    Does it only occur in sport mode, or can you replicate it in 'auto' and 'normal'. If the sensor or air is the issue I would assume it would occur in non sport mode as well.

8. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    That's just a simple "relearn" with the SDx, any SDx monkey can do that. Recentering the actuator is a whole 'nother deal altogether. Just be sure to report back on the progress.

9. ModenaF1

ModenaF1 Rookie

Sep 1, 2012
    It only occurs to sport mode when it happens. Never appeared to normal mode or auto mode.

10. ModenaF1

ModenaF1 Rookie

Sep 1, 2012
    I agree with the "relearn" process using the SD. It is the same when you calibrate a new clutch. I know exactly what you mean and that might solve my problem. I will inform you after i visit my service dealer.

11. amerabuzahra

amerabuzahra Rookie

Sep 10, 2012
    Jordan -Amman
    Full Name:
    Amer Abu Zahra
    Dear sir ..l am facing a problem with shifting from 2gear to 3gear up to 6gear when shift from 2gear to 3gear it go to N then i push the shift pedal and it go to 4gear or 5gear or 6gear depent how much its fast then l start to shift down to be on 3gear then when i need to shift to 4gear its go then to 5gear it go N then repeat the same steps to continue driving .

12. jaro_fuksa

jaro_fuksa Rookie

Aug 18, 2016
    czech republic
    Full Name:
    jaro fuksa
    Have similar problem with engaging 4th gear (both up and down) on my CS. Even it shows on display 4th gear is engaged, it is not true. The problem is more pregnant when the car is cold in first minutes of drive (later it doesn't diminish, it don't happened so often). I "solved" it behind the wheel by engaging neutral and then 4th - so it works. I hope Scuderia Praha will solve it easily.

13. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

keep us posted, this transitional "n" thing is really bugging me