360 modena steering wheel installed on 355, pic inside..how do i get this? | FerrariChat

360 modena steering wheel installed on 355, pic inside..how do i get this?

Discussion in '348/355' started by edmo7, Jan 16, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. edmo7

edmo7 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #1 edmo7, Jan 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Anyone know who installed this 360 steering wheel in the 355? Is this just a standard 360 wheel? or is this a customized one purchased from a third party? I've done some searching on the forum but haven't found a solid answer, some say the 360 wheel will fit no problem. Some say it won't fit.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    EDMO7,

Direct the question to Rifledriver on NorCal forum. He would certainly be well qualified to answer this.

I would bet Ferrari uses the same upper column and spline on all its cars as does GM with the Saginaw steering column.

3. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    Bout time someone replaced those pillowcase sized air bags

4. edmo7

edmo7 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I forgot to mention that the photo is from the Imola Racing website.

5. CambioManuale

CambioManuale Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2004
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Jay
    not bad...
    The only part I don't like of my F355 is that awful sterring wheel. it is not bad to drive it but it does look poorly for a Ferrari. I am 99.9% (cannot tell until I change it) sure that the 3 spokes 550 wheel does fit the F355 perfectly (as a matter of fact, it does fit the 456 as well and it came standard with the later 456M) however, I've been told that the 360 is a bit different and might take some extra work to have it installed. dunno what my mechanic meant with that, but I am assuming it has something to do with labour costs...
    By the way the price in Italy for a 550 wheel + airbag is almost 600euro, which is a lot less than that the quotation I was given some time ago...

PS
    The Becker looks far better than the OEM Sony, though this is a bit too much for a purist like me...

6. edmo7

edmo7 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #6 edmo7, Jan 17, 2006
  7. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    #7 jeffdavison, Jan 17, 2006
    The air bag'ed 355 steering wheel itself has no splines. It is bolted to the hub with 4 bolts. Also the hub is bolted on as well. I have installed a Challange hub and Momo wheel so I have seen this personally . Perhaps the bolt patterns are the same between the 355, 360 and 550? There were no splines at all in my car.
    Here are some pics of a de-constructed 355 wheel:

8. edmo7

edmo7 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #8 edmo7, Jan 17, 2006
    Your wheel looks pretty cool it almost looks like the factory 355 non airbag wheel, do you have any pics of the challenge hub? And how did you get the ferrari logo on there?

9. edmo7

edmo7 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #9 edmo7, Jan 17, 2006
  10. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    #10 jeffdavison, Jan 17, 2006
    I found my Challange hub on eBay. It is conical. I haven't a seperate pic of it. Hill Engineering sells a Challange hub (An F-Chat Sponsor). That does the same, converts an air bag equipped 355 to use a 6 hole Momo style wheel, but is of a different shape than mine. They are offerend in plain aluminum or black.

The steering wheel is a Momo Club3, black leather and Alcantara. It has been discontinued a couple of years ago, but I found one new in the box.

http://www.hill-engineering.co.uk/ferrari-spacer.htm

Steering wheel emblem is a Momo horn button I also found on eBy from G.Evans. They are readily available for less than $50 in may places.

JD

11. rush109

rush109 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Joshua McRae
    looks very good....

12. edmo7

edmo7 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I forgot to mention that on message#9, it is the momo "race" version

13. edmo7

edmo7 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Anyone know if the original hub used on non airbag 355's can be purchased from the dealers?

14. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    OK, what happens if you got eh Momo route and do not have an airbag installed. Will the ECU's report this on the car as a fault ?

Is there a fix ?

R

15. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    air bag light on dash goes on. ECU sees a wrong resistance in that circuit and just lights the light. ECU must be reset to make light go away. but ecu will then again see a fault and religh the panel light, Choices are either unplug the light bulb or find a substitute resistor of a correct value to plug in circuit so ECU sees correct resistance and goes on it's merry way.

Even if ECU sees an "air bag fault" it's not a big deal at all, as that function has nothing to do with any other function. It's really not a functional issue.

jd

16. mgtr1990

mgtr1990 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Naples Florida
    Full Name:
    Martin Graham
    I also replaced the 355 OEM wheel with a MOMO and the Hill Engineering Black Adapter I had the Passenger Airbag disconnected in case of a problem and the seat belt warning light bulb removed no issues.