360 Passing Smog Test - California | FerrariChat

360 Passing Smog Test - California

Discussion in '360/430' started by Need4Spd, Jan 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    There are a few threads on this, but since I went through this recently and pulled a bit of info from here and there, thought I'd put the conclusions into a single post for the benefit of 360 owners who live in California.

For 2000 and newer cars in general, California's present rules generally do not require putting your car on dyno rollers or putting a sniffer up the tail pipe. This was tricky in the past, because you'd have to disable the ASR to get the car to work properly on the rollers.

Instead, there is a visual inspection to be sure you still have all of the OEM smog equipment, and the tech then plugs in an OBD II monitor. You need all of the internal monitors to show "ready" in order to pass. There may be an exception for the evaporative I/M, but otherwise, you have to have all of them show "ready."

But if you've disconnected the battery recently (perhaps to work on the car), or maybe only drive the car intermittently, one or more I/Ms may not be ready. The only way to know this is you can go to a smog inspection station and try and fail the test, in which case the tech will probably tell you to drive the car and then come back for a re-test; or you can get an OBD II handheld monitor to check readiness before you go to the inspection station. I highly recommend the latter. The monitor is useful also for resetting the random CELs you get, like when you don't tighten your gas cap enough.

The problem with 360s is that just driving the car a 100 miles or more won't necessarily reset all the I/Ms to "ready." In addition, 1999 and 2000 cars had a software issue that won't let all of the I/Ms show "ready" with California's test equipment. I don't know if that's been fixed, because my car is a 2003.

Even for cars later than 2000, the I/Ms may not reset by just driving the car. The most common I/M that is hard to reset to "ready" is the "secondary air pump" I/M. The Ferrari tech bulletin on this details a very difficult-to-accomplish drive cycle to get a ready signal, where you have to start with a completely cold car (best if let sit overnight), idle the car for 4 min., drive the car in 4th gear at 2500-3000 RPM for 3.5 miles, and just before stopping, rev to 4000 RPM and let the car slow down by itself back to 2000 RPM before pulling over and, without turning off the car, idling for 5 min. You then shut off the engine, wait at least 20 sec., then restart and drive moderately for another few miles. Try and find a place and time where you can do this. If you think about these steps, it's not easy!

Anyway, I recently had to replace my car's thermostat, and SOP is to turn off the electricity as a safety measure. Of course, this reset all my I/Ms to "not ready," and I had forgotten about this when I visited the smog inspection station. Still, I was there, so had it tested anyway. Since I had put a couple hundred miles on the car since the t'stat swap, I was hopeful. As it turned out, all of the I/Ms showed "ready," except for one.

Sure enough, my "secondary air pump" I/M showed "not ready." But I knew from the tech bulletin that just driving the car wouldn't necessarily set it to "ready." Besides reading the tech bulletin instructions, I found advice from Rifledriver, who explained that the secondary air pump I/M looks to be sure there is a rush of air when the pump is supposed to run, and no rush of air when the air pump is not supposed to be on. Or something like that.

BTW, my DMV notice specifically required my car to be tested at a "Star Certified" station, not just any licensed smog station. So, that meant among other things finding one that had the Star Certification and open on a weekend. If your DMV notice says "Star Certified station required," be sure to take your car to one of those stations. But I digress.

Anyway, I knew I had to have at least another cold start cycle to get the I/M to show "ready." But after reading a number of posts by those who were unable to follow the tech bulletin instructions due to local highway conditions, I was worried. Among other things, I live in a quiet neighborhood, but the only time to have a shot at the Ferrari drive cycle was early in the morning. Well, idling a loud Ferrari at 6:30 a.m. on a weekend in my garage or driveway is not going to make my neighbors happy. But trying to do it later in the day when there is traffic would be next to impossible.

Thinking about what Rifledriver said about what the system looks for, however, I decided to try to at least approximate the tech bulletin instructions, yet minimize the noise annoyance to my neighbors. I figured that so long as I could ensure the pump shut down when it was supposed to, and I could avoid giving the car a "whoosh" of air by opening the throttle too much afterwards, I could maybe get my monitor to set to "ready."

So, I started the car from a cold start (early in the morning), but instead of idling for 4 minutes, I let it idle only enough to hear the air pump shut down (maybe 15 seconds?). I then very gently backed out of my driveway applying minimal throttle, and proceeded down a level street in first gear at barely off idle, but steady without coming near a stall. I did this for about a mile or mile and a half. Fortunately, this can be done with a 3 pedal manual on a relatively deserted street. I'm not so sure it could be done with an F1 transmission or in traffic.

I then drove for about 3.5 miles at a steady 2500-3000 RPM, but not necessarily in 4th. Rather, I went as close to the speed limit as I could at that RPM (with cars zipping past me; where are all those people going so early on a weekend?). The parking lot where I intended to stop for the 5 min. idle portion of the cycle was closed, however, so I proceeded another few miles until I found a gas station where I could pull in and hopefully not annoy too many people by idling the car for an extended period in the early morning hours. Instead of the recommended 3.5 miles, I did closer to 5-7 miles. I then idled for only about 2 min., shut down the car, waited 20 seconds, then restarted and drove moderately for another few miles.

I came back to my garage, plugged in my OBD II monitor, and hurrah! The secondary air pump I/M showed "ready"! I then took the car back to the smog station and of course passed. So, even though some say that you must strictly follow the Ferrari tech bulletin instructions, I found that there is at least some leeway, as I was able to get my I/M to show "ready" by only approximating the cycle. Others have reported that by using their car as a daily driver for a couple of weeks (the important part, I think, is to have at least some cold starts, followed by normal operation) also worked for them.

I hope others find this helpful. I've attached the tech bulletin that originally was found and posted by others.

2. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Thank you for the thoughtful writeup. I'm not in California, but I read it with interest. Aldous Voice has a detailed procedure for a 360 ECU reset that tracks the basic procedures you outline above. I never understood why all those odd, almost magical, steps were needed. Your note above helps explain it for me. It also helps to know there is apparently a little leeway in performing the arcane dance! Thanks for posting.

Need4Spd likes this.
  3. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    You’re welcome! I forgot to add that before doing the second idling period after the 5-7 miles, I did bring the revs up to 4000 rpm for at least 10 seconds and let the car coast down to 2000 rpm in gear before pulling into the gas station. I have no way to be sure but think it’s an important step.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

one4torque and Bob in Makiki like this.
  4. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Glad you got it to work. Every time I read one of these shaggy dogs I am more thankful I live in a zip code that doesn't require smog checks! I'm saving them all for when I sell the car, though.

Need4Spd likes this.
  5. jackgt

jackgt Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2015
    california
    Full Name:
    Jack
    If you have a euro 360 it will never pass. you will always have 2 monitors that will not set. I talked to a few ferrari dealerships and they have the same problem

6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    HUM?? Not my experience. It all depends on who did the conversion and how well. My Euro has been in CA for over 12 years and it passes easily. I did the rolling rode when needed (that part was a bit tricky) and now pass the OBD test. All simple enough.

You can idle an F1 in gear and just creep along but you can't just pop it into gear at idle and expect a good outcome. You have to get off the line and fully engaged, you can then back off the gas and idle along just fine. So long as you don't touch the brakes it will stay in gear and chug along. I do that in traffic all of the time.

shawdut likes this.
  7. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Thanks OP.

I always have the dealer "get the car ready" and then I drive it to the smog place a couple of miles away (its the same in AZ, no sniffer, just a plug into the ODBII).

All I can think of with the "setting" process is "and then you rub your tummy clockwise, while patting the top of your head while standing on one foot...then depress the accelerator with the free foot".

SoftwareDrone and Need4Spd like this.
  8. gburkett

gburkett Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Glenn Burkett
    Going through this exact issue right now with my friends 360. It is an early car and may have that software issue you mentioned. So far have not gotten it to show ready despite the antics recommended by FNA. Has anyone come across a fix for that software issue??

9. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    IF it has the SW issue the dealer can send the ECUs to FNA and have them reflashed. It was discussed in another thread on this subject.

10. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    I follow that procedure and the car runs amazing! I think its worthwhile. I live near a freeway that has a train stop exit and it works out perfect.

Need4Spd likes this.
  11. gburkett

gburkett Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Glenn Burkett
    Thanks a million you guys.! FChat knowledge is power when dealing with the dealers who really don't want to be bothered with an almost 20 year old design with a smog check issue even in California . Lots of buck passing, head shaking , and maybe replacing the secondary air injection system , or not their issue etc. So after reading all this and SkidKid’s particular reply we contacted FNA twice and left messages which were not returned. Quoted the known issue per FChat on the last call and noted that maybe the dealer wasnt aware of the need to reflash the ECUs to get it to work and was there help they could be to have the vehicle meet California and Federal standards when there was nothing mechanically repairable to be done . Noted that all the cold start and driving cycles with idle time had been done a number of times. About an hour ago got a call from the BH Ferrari service dept who were suddenly anxious to help and wanted to have the car brought in to reflash the CPU or replace it at No Charge. Seriously! so Thanks to everyone who did the hardwork on this one including the eminently knowledgeable rifle driver.

one4torque likes this.
  12. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Excellent outcome! Glad it worked out!

13. F1Pete

F1Pete Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2021
    Ca
    2004 - F360 - I had the same issue getting my car smogged in CA. (Battery was disconnected and I/M not ready). I followed the drive cycles described by "Need4sp" and it worked nicely!! I checked if my I/M was "Ready" with OBDII reader, and wallah! it was good to go. I then returned to the smog station and it passed!! Thank you "Need4sp" for your input noted above.

Need4Spd likes this.
  14. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Biggest problem is getting the cats hot enough to be ready.

I read driving about 65-70 one way for 15 -20 mins on the freeway and then back the same should do it.

So I have to do that

15. F1Pete

F1Pete Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2021
    Ca
    Yep. Did that as well, at the end of my drive cycle. …

16. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    I am not sure now that we are going to stay in Calif.

So before I do a drive cycle again (I am replacing both fuel pumps and fuel lines that are leaking) I am going to look at seriously registering where we may go.

Costs here in CA are just insane and make no sense.

$5.21 today for 91 octane. No rational sense for this

clean512 likes this.
  17. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    The only good thing in ca is .......... please tell me why I should stay

18. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I was standing on my deck today looking out over the SF bay. The sky was blue, the sun was out, it was 65F, and visibility was 100 miles. I thought that was pretty good.

As far as $5 gas ... was the cost of gas a major concern for you when you bought your Ferrari, 360/430 or even a 512?

19. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Clean 512, I can easily fill in the blank for you but not sure the responses will be convincing!

We can easily afford to live here. The issue is how absurdly costly things are. Makes no sense.

Just tired of the ridiculous costs that folks here assume are just the norm.

clean512 likes this.
  20. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Well said. I do great and born here but my wife is from AZ and we have lived there for some years. It keeps calling me back but cars don't like 115 degrees heat.

21. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    that heat would chase me away as well from AZ plus not being near a coast

South East US looks very nice to me

Cost of living is so different from Calif.

It just makes more sense to us

clean512 likes this.
  22. F1Pete

F1Pete Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2021
    Ca
    Yes, but the humidity and thunder storms - You will not like.

23. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    raised in Boston area

endured 2 hurricanes at our beach in Rhode Island, one tornado, and lots thundershowers

not unfamiliar with all that

24. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    AND no earthquakes!

We had a beauty this week. Epicenter was 2 miles from my house

That was not a pleasant experience

25. clean512

clean512 Formula 3