360 RH Pump fuel leak | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 RH Pump fuel leak

Discussion in '360/430' started by MD355, Nov 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1Spider

F1Spider Karting

Jan 8, 2013
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Agree with everyone who had this problem, including me. Best decision do not drive. Until the car can be worked on do not park in garage. My natural gas water heater is in a closet in my garage and I didn't want the strong fumes from the car to ignite and carbeque my ride and my home. I left her parked outside and let the gas fumes escape safely outside until I could get her into the shop.

Second best decision is to have them both replaced even though one was shot, it would be just a matter of time before the other starts to crack or worse. We've all been there with the itch to drive knowing full well we shouldn't or when she is in the shop, can't. This is why you take the time to catch up and learn about other things that can/will go wrong with your car and read ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/360.

Reading up on issues in ferrarichat.com for me when my Ferrari is in the shop is like a meth addict receiving methodone when they are not able to get the real meth fix to satisfy the craving. Sure, it gets the job done even though it is not the same high. Wha...? Too hardcore of an anology? Ok, if you are a chocolate lover...

Calypso likes this.
  2. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    #27 Drestless, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    I'll be the minority here or the only guy that will say this aside from your mechanic that already said it's ok. :eek:

I did drive mine for 4 months with the slight scent, I fixed the pump only after the scent became prevalent that I have to open my windows to not smell it. Had the same smell with my old BMW for years so I guess I wasn't bothered by the scent before so ignored it on my 360 for at least 4 months. :D Mine now has epoxy weld to fix the top plastic, still no scent after two years and holding strong.

I mean, the worse case is the scent will come come out again where I welded it and if it does, then I know it's time to look into replacing the entire fuel pump (I bought one already a while back, just maximizing the life of the current one in there).

For now, I just hate the idea of tossing an entire functioning fuel pump for a fixable crack on top of the pump. Everyone to it's own I guess...:cool:

3. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    The fuel pumps listed with the 430 part number have beige plastic. they installed and connections made on my 03 360 spider without any modifications.

4. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    Well you have a valid point, however at EUR 250 each pump (approx $280) , it becomes very cheap not to replace... Consider it was an insurance policy... $600 for something worth $100,000 , or even worse... your life !!!
    Furthermore, since the Ferrari 360 has no fuel filter, any junk in the gas gets clogged in the pump...
    I don't know if there is any validity to this statement, but my guess is that fuel pumps approaching 15 yrs old might not perform the same as brand new fuel pumps, so performance might also be affected (easy startup, smooth idle, WOT power, etc etc)

whatheheck likes this.
  5. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    where are you finding it for EUR 250? They're selling for $566 on Ricambi, each

6. rugby

rugby Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Atlanta
    #31 rugby, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    EUR 251 at Eurospares ($297) for the L.H pump. R.H. is $363. Not sure if either is in stock.

7. dang2407

dang2407 Karting

Apr 29, 2017
    SW France
    So if they fit a Spyder, then they won't fit a Modena?

8. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    Correct !!! So with $660 plus shipping you update for 15 yr old car like new !! But no availability !!

G. Pepper likes this.
  9. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I could never understand the crazy pricing of these pumps. You would think that the LH pump would cost more since it has the float, but the RH pump cost +20% more compared to the LH pump. This begs the question, what is so special about the RH pump?

10. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    My guess is that it break down more often, therefore more demand for it, and if you give good pricing on the other pump, you change both !! Businesswise, I think it makes sense !!

Drestless and G. Pepper like this.
  11. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    Aldous Voice gives a Bosch cross reference number for fuel pumps and since it'd be a Bosch part that doesn't come in a Ferrari box, it might end up being slightly cheaper too. Only problem is that he only lists 1 number so it's not clear if it's the left or the right fuel pump or if it's the original (white plastic) or updated (beige plastic) model.

https://aldousvoice.com/2012/11/05/ferrari-360-bosch-cross-references/

12. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I bought mine from Ricambi. In stock and had in three or four days. These are updated pumps that have orange polypropylene instead of the white plastic. I spent a lot of time researching to try and find a generic replacement but no joy. Same style pump for your Chevy pickup is about $125. This is just the Ferrari tax at work.

whatheheck likes this.
  13. dang2407

dang2407 Karting

Apr 29, 2017
    SW France
    Anybody know what the difference is between RH and LH? Could you make a simple mod to use on either side?

14. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    I believe the float is only on the left side

15. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    As stated, it's been two years already without any scent with the epoxy fix. It's not trying to save $ because as previously stated as well, I already have a new pump with me I ordered couple years back. Just plain ol' lazy and I don't like fixing something something that's not broken anymore (no more scent).

These are just imaginary justification (poor performance, easy startup, etc) to spend money. It's a fuel pump, either it works or not.

But I do agree we all are guilty with making imaginary justifications to spend money. Heck my imaginary justification of spending more money buying a Ferrari instead of a Prius is I can outrun zombies with it. That's a good justification to buy a Ferrari right? ;)

16. Calypso

Calypso Rookie

Mar 5, 2017
    Orlando, FL
    My 02 360 spider is in having both of the fuel pumps replaced now. At the dealership it is costing around $5,000 for me to have it done. I had a Porsche 944 catch on fire while I was driving it years ago. I didn't want to risk it in the 360.

G. Pepper likes this.
  17. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    You need to find a independent mechanic. $5000 is insane!!!

18. Rhoads56

Rhoads56 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2015
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Perry
    Just ordered my Rh pump from mqt in Australia. Bosch part, $212 AUD.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

19. Calypso

Calypso Rookie

Mar 5, 2017
    Orlando, FL
    I forgot to mention they are also fixing the problem with the EVAP system.

20. dang2407

dang2407 Karting

Apr 29, 2017
    SW France
    What's the part number?

21. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    It appears that as our 360 Modena is approaching 12-15 years old, it needs replacing of the pump...

Can anyone create a poll who has replaced/is currently replacing the pumps ???

I bet it would be over 60%...

To start...
    +1 me currently changing the pumps (2002 car with 50000 km)

P.S. one could also create a poll for the alternator (I changed mine last month)