360 serious corrosion problem in the rear lower wishbones | FerrariChat

360 serious corrosion problem in the rear lower wishbones

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Chopperman, May 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chopperman

Chopperman Karting

Nov 21, 2018
    Weston Super Mud
    Full Name:
    Gary Priestley
    It has taken 18 hours to get the 8 bolts out that hold the rear lower wishbones out to renew the lower ball joints. I don't mean drinking coffee and chatting, I mean attacking those bolts. One bolt took from yesterday afternoon to this afternoon.
    When I did get them out, the corrosion is very bad. How bad? I'm an ex Aircraft fitter trained at British Aerospace so I am used to repairing corroded aluminium. If this was an aircraft, with the corrosion in the wing spar, it would be a major repair.
    The holes are full of powdered aluminium.
    Does anyone know of any bushes that can be fitted? Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I'd cut them off flush, then remove the bushings with a press.

absostone likes this.
  3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I think he is concerned with the receiving end of the 8 bolts, and whether there are bushes he can install in the chassis to accept them. I think the wishbone flambocs are not a concern for him to swap out.

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I recall the Honda NSX had some bolt threads coated in plastic (one use only) to prevent disimilar metals reacting with each other. I also hear that Loctite Blue 243 offers some galvanic protection (medium grip with no special tools for removal). Perhaps Permatex has something, too.

Chopperman likes this.
  5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I live in Canada, and have never encountered such corrosion on a Ferrari. That car has seen some weather

2NA likes this.
  6. Chopperman

Chopperman Karting

Nov 21, 2018
    Weston Super Mud
    Full Name:
    Gary Priestley
    That is correct. It is the aluminium chassis that is causing me concern

7. Chopperman

Chopperman Karting

Nov 21, 2018
    Weston Super Mud
    Full Name:
    Gary Priestley
    UK weather

8. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Alternately, perhaps have the new bolts coated with similar stuff as fasteners used offshore or in corrosive plant areas?

That won't fix the problem with the loss of thread material on the receiving end, however.....

Chopperman likes this.
  9. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I've noticed examples both here and on Wheeler Dealers, that well driven cars in the UK do receive a lot of corrosion to the suspension and chassis...I never realized it was so wet there.

Chopperman likes this.
  10. Chopperman

Chopperman Karting

Nov 21, 2018
    Weston Super Mud
    Full Name:
    Gary Priestley
    It's the area where the air is funnelled up and out the rear and the other side of the chassis gets the water and grime from the road