365 GT 2+2 Restoration Questions | Page 2 | FerrariChat

365 GT 2+2 Restoration Questions

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by TLKIZER660, Oct 3, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TLKIZER660

TLKIZER660 Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004
    Québec
    superbimmer said:
    I didn't buy the book and regret it. I'll get back across the river Wednesday and buy it if it's still there. I'll then scan the photo and post it if it's not illegal. Can an administrator weigh in here? Just what are the rules in this kind of situation? The book has apparently been out of print for years.
    Tom Kizer

2. TLKIZER660

Jul 30, 2004
    Québec
    Zac said:
    When you get news from the rubber parts supplier, please post the info. Until my car is painted and back in my garage, I'm not doing anything except research. I'll spend the winter finishing the reassembly so I'm looking forward to hearing about your repro rubber project. I would be curious to know how you know that the "original" seals are really original. Not that I don't trust your confidence - it's just that there is so much confusion about the subject.
    By the way, thanks for your "helpful" attitude. It's regularly demonstrated by your posts.

Tom Kizer

3. TLKIZER660

Jul 30, 2004
    Québec
    I said:
    The book was gone! I've learned a lesson - buy it when you see it.

Does anyone know where to get decal sets for 365 GT 2+2s? CLASSIC CAR DECALS has only two sets for ferraris and the 365 GT isn't one of them.

If anyone else is interested in decals that CLASSIC CAR DECALS doesn't have, they will make them if someone can provide digital photos and dimensions - they'll even provide a free set of reproduction decals to the provider of the photos. I don't even know what they are supposed to look like but I would like to buy a set for my restoration if they can make them.

Tom Kizer

4. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Tom - for vintage-correct stickers, Parker Hall is the man.
    Kilimanjaro Designs, Ltd.
    Parker Hall
    940 Warrenton Rd.
    Vicksburg, MS 39180
    (601) 638-7856

Also, check out the "Ferrari suppliers" section of www.tomyang.net for a great list of the go-to suppliers you'll get to know.

5. dgrperformance

dgrperformance Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2005
    Oceanside, CA
    just so you know Parker has all the stickers and decals for the 365 including the U.S.A. models. I sent him originals that I had last year and he has now made replicas of everything including the York compressor tag.

As to the question of how I know the seals I have are original. I was lucky enough to get a car that was damaged in 1970 and tucked away ever since and have disassembled several others. The difference on the trunk seal and the door/vent window seals is that the originals are smaller and of a softer thiner material. When you use the pinch seal with that most places sell you the trunk is hard to close and takes several months to where in.

Zac

6. TLKIZER660

Jul 30, 2004
    Québec
    #31 TLKIZER660, Oct 17, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Bryanp said:
    dgrperformance said:
    Thanks for the great info on the decals and the seals. Zac, I think I'll wait for your rubber source to "materialize". I just received several samples that I thought were correct. They were all too big or bulky. I got a response from Classic Car Decals also. They say they have decals for 365 GT 2+2s also. I wonder how their quality is. Does anyone have comparison experience between Classic Car Decals and Kilimanjaro Designs, Ltd? Zac and Bryan, I assume you both are happy with Kilimanjaro.

Another question. My car has what looks like black loop carpet in the trunk. See the photo below. I see that World Upholstery talks about wool square weave in the trunks of older Ferraris. WHAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE THERE IN THE TRUNK? Up in the cockpit, I have dark green Wilton Wool to go with the black vinyl trim and Pelle Beige (camel colored) leather.

Thanks for all the great information and keep it flowing.

Tom Kizer
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    #32 JonBrent, Oct 17, 2005
    Not on 7537: The piece on the bottom of the door has a larger 'T' at the top which isn't flat. The two pieces used to seal the front of the door have a smaller almost hexagonal blob on top.

8. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    World Up does not have the right trunk carpet, at least for my 1964 330. On my car it should be a black very tight square weave. World Up has a looser carpet in black and some German more correct car carpet in more of a speckled color.This trunk stuff is hard to find. Re-Orginals has it at times, (again, that is if your trunk stuff is the same as mine.) Yale

9. TLKIZER660

Jul 30, 2004
    Québec
    I'm not sure what the protocol is for the forum but I want people to know that although I do not respond to each comment, I read and "study" each one and appreciate them immensely.
    I now understand the door rubber requirements - thanks to your photos, Jon.
    Yale, I'm still not sure I understand the difference between loop (what I think I have shown in my photo) and the "very tight square weave" in your 1964 330. Is what I've shown in my previous post loop or square weave?
    Tom Kizer

10. dgrperformance

Feb 28, 2005
    Oceanside, CA
    try hirsch automotive for your carpet needs I believe they have the right stuff

http://www.hirschauto.com/samples/sqweave.htm

they also have the proper wilton carpet for the interior but I would have them send you samples to make sure on the color and material.

All the trunk carpets I have seen on 365 2+2 s are black nylon square weave with a shiny silver backing.

Zac

11. TLKIZER660

Jul 30, 2004
    Québec
    Windows is wonderful. I pulled up my carpet photo, and Hirsch Auto’s photos of their loop carpet and their square weave carpet and compared them on the same screen. I now think my carpet is also the correct square weave. It even has the silver back. Unfortunately some of the binding is in rough shape and the piece under the lid is stained. I’ve ordered a sample and if it matches well enough, I will try to replace only the lid piece – but we’ll see.

Another question: Does anyone have experience with the “CUSTOM MADE SCREW ASSORTMENT - Pebble Beach Concours Winners since 1984” sold by Newco Products at:
    http://www.newcoproducts.com/Ferrari/ferrari.htm

I’m in dire need of miscellaneous interior trim screws and washers in both chrome and black. They seem expensive at $200 but buying them a few at a time (if you can find them) is a lot of work. But at the same time, I don’t want to buy 600 screws and use only a few because most of them might be the wrong size. OPINIONS???

Tom Kizer

12. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    Hi Tom,

Glad the photos are helping, sorry I was so slow posting.

For interior trim screws, these look like they might work, and are cheap enough to try:
    http://www.atrim.com/Page110.html

Cheers,
    Jon

13. TLKIZER660

Jul 30, 2004
    Québec
    #38 TLKIZER660, Oct 25, 2005
    Maybe I'm becoming a conspiracy theorist, but I just converted all the "metric" dimensions of the Newco Products assortment to English dimensions and, according to my Standard Handbood of Machine Design, they correspond exactly to #2, #4, #6, and #8 screws of lengths 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", 7/8", and 1.0". Maybe I'm wrong, but they appear to be US sheet metal screws whose dimensions are converted to metric. The screws at www.atrim.com are looking increasingly attractive. Thanks Jon.

More Questions: Should the following parts be painted flat, satin, or gloss black?
    o Under side of the hood?
    o Under side of the trunk lid?
    o Top of front fender ventilation grills?
    o Behind the rear quarter window grills?
    o Sheet metal underneath the quarter window grills?
    o Splash shields in front of and behind the tires?
    o Rocker panel strips - satin or gloss?

I suspect the grills should be gloss, the sheet metal underneath should be flat or satin, and all the rest should be satin - but I would like to hear from you experts.

One more question for right now. My hood hardware was painted satin black but had not been primed. It appears to be made of plated metal. Should it be painted? What color and texture? See the photo.

14. dgrperformance

Feb 28, 2005
    Oceanside, CA
    underside of hood, engine compartment and trunk ---- satin black( underhood black from Eastwood or 308 ppg paint code is available)

vent grills----- semi-gloss black(powder coat works good at 60% gloss)

anywhere under grills looks best flat black( no wierd reflections)

splash shields under rain gutter trim I powder coated 20% gloss

splash shields in wheel wells should be thick under coating but I had mine wrinkle black powder coated( easier to clean, looks almost the same and does not rub off as easy) I am also working on the proper seal that goes around the splash shields

rocker panel strips-----satin

hood hardware--- either clear zinc or dull nickel. if you have a late serial you can get away with yellow zinc on the latches. Most restoration shops I have seen cheep out and paint the hardware instead of plating and it doesn't hold up.

Zac

BTW metric screws are close to SAE but not quite if you screw SAE screws in a metric hole the metric screw will never work again. I suspect at this point a lot of screws will have allready been replaced and you would be fine with SAE.
    Check your local home Depot they have stainless screws with both oval and flat tops that match the originals pretty closely. However try and save as many of the interior trim washers as possible since there is nothing out there that looks the same. if you don't have enough trim washers to due the whole job at least have the ones you have plated and put them in the most conspicuous places

15. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Zac - vent grills are not closer to satin or even flat? Mine (before I blasted the flaking original finish) looked darn close to flat black.

16. dgrperformance

Feb 28, 2005
    Oceanside, CA
    tomato-tomaato. semi-gloss and satin are pretty interchangeable. I have tried them in flat and it just doesn't look right. Gloss definately looks funky somewherfe in between should be good enough.

Zac

17. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I hear ya.

did you see that friggin switch went for a grand?

18. dgrperformance

Feb 28, 2005
    Oceanside, CA
    if all you need is the electrical portion I think I have you covered

Zac

19. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    good deal. I'm in. let's pm the details.

20. TLKIZER660

Jul 30, 2004
    Québec
    #45 TLKIZER660, Oct 27, 2005
    Thanks for the black paint info. Now my painter will have the info when he gets to that point.

Has anyone ever recovered the front overhead panel that holds the sun visors? It's the only part that I'm not sure I can recover because it's deeply contoured and I'm not sure I know how to make the vinyl stretch to conform. Anyone know any tips or tricks? Everything else looks easy, except perhaps the oval metal grommets that the hand straps slide through on the side overhead panels. The headliner itself will be relatively easy to sew if I can find the correct cheesecloth covered foam backing.

By the way, I'm finding #885 stamped or wax pencilled all over the place - on almost every panel I remove - with two exceptions. On the upholstered outboard kick panels (beside the driver's left foot and passenger's right foot), the numbers 887 are wax pencilled. Luigi or Mario or whoever must have had some fitting problems and decided to use the parts from the next car back on the line. These are the only two parts inconsistent with the rest of the car.

I believe you but I can't understand why they would undercoat the splash shields in the front unless it is to be consistent with the welded-in ones in the rear. The four of mine in the front of the car are aluminum.
    When I removed the splash shield seals, there were two types. The photo shows the two types along with a sample that I received from J.C.Whitney. Are either of the two on the right correct for a 365 GT 2+2?

21. dgrperformance

Feb 28, 2005
    Oceanside, CA
    I like the seal in the middle for the splash shields in the wheel well, that's what I have. The J.C. Whitney sample looks pretty heavy. The last seal on the left looks like the one on the air deflectors that touches behind the grill and mounts to the inner engine bay next to the radiator.

are you sure your splash shields are aluminum and not galvanized steel?

My Uphosltry guy has never had a problem with the overhead panels and the ones I have had done look perfect. The problem I have had is the sunvisors, the area around the vanity mirror and on the U.S. cars around the tire data plate is an embossed stiching that no one seems to be able to duplicate.

The oval grommets for the grab handles my guy just took a round one with the right contours and squeezed it a little.

Zac

22. TLKIZER660

Jul 30, 2004
    Québec
    Since I'm waiting anyway, I'll now go looking for the seal you indicated is correct. If I don't find one before you get your rubber source worked out, I'll just have to wait or use something incorrect temporarily.

My splash shields are definitely aluminum, including aluminum oxide on the edges in a couple of places under where the seals were. They either are original or good replacements because they have the #885 stamped into them in the same size stamps as on the hood and trunk.

The overhead console recovering success is good news. Now that I know it can be done, I'll be less reluctant to try it. I know the problem with the mirror on the sunvisor. I had the same problem with the "Embossed stitching" on my 230 SL sunvisors. I had to just "forget the stitching". Since I'm a retired engineer, maybe I'll take the time to do a little experimenting with a hot piece of metal and a dremel tool to simulate the stitching form. If I succeed, I'll let everyone know.

Since I now know the grommets can be made oval, I'll just have to experiment a little before trying it on the "real thing".

Thanks for all the good info from all of you.
    Tom

23. TLKIZER660

Jul 30, 2004
    Québec
    #48 TLKIZER660, Nov 4, 2005
    Another question. My 365 GT 2+2 has always (since 1984) shown the residue of a missing sticker on the underside of the trunk lid just to the right of the latch “loop”. Based on the residue, I suspect that it was a foil plate. Who knows what it should look like? Here’s a photo of the location and the residue. Once I know what’s supposed to be there, I’ll go looking for it at Kilimanjaro or Classic Car Decals.

By the way, today I visited a tiny, one-stall garage out in a Québec countryside village, run by a mechanic who, I had heard, couldn’t resist “accumulating” every rare or unusual auto part he came across. He said he had left and right double-pipe tailpipes for some old Ferrari. What he has is original ANSA tailpipes (left and right) including the resonator for a 250 GTE. I look at the right side. It’s new, with the orange paint still clean inside the chrome tips, and has a few nicks and scratches in the wrinkle finish paint from “unwrapped” storage. He said the other one is in the same condition and mirror image in shape. If anyone is interested in talking with him, send me a PM and I’ll give you his contact info. He speaks English perfectly.
    Tom Kizer

24. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    More than likely the residue of the original paint sticker. See:
    http://www.parrotbyte.com/330GTRegistry/?Encylopedia/Decals.htm, a few pictures down. These are available from Parker Hall or ItalianCarParts.com.

Regards, Kerry

25. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

You pay good bucks for him to do the leg work, but, from the box full of Dino stuff I bought, I now have every screw and washer I need to replace every ratty old one on my car. Slotted, philips, chrome and black washers, in all those friggin odd sizes that my Dino uses.

Of course, I'm in mid repaint to get the car looking right again, and am buying all new rubber, screws, etc, to make it just right.

I'd do it again, saved me a load of time and trouble, although I guess if you're patient, you could pertty much put the whole thing together at mcmaster-carr.

DM