365 GTC/4 | FerrariChat

365 GTC/4

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by rob lay, Jan 23, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Was out at Russo & Steele in Arizona last weekend and saw that nice GTC/4 cut Spyder. The engine bay was very nicely detailed and it is now my new avatar! Still not sure what it sold for, haven't seen the results. A few questions if you don't mind…

1) Is the back seat "bench" allow a kid to sit there or baggage only? Are there even any seat belts back there?

2) Does the back "bench" have any more room than the Daytona?

3) What is current market range of GTC/4's? My guess is $90-180k based on condition and service.

4) Please let me know if any black models on the market.

Thank you,
    rob

2. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
  3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

I looked at these cars some years ago. Great sound and drives well (It actually has a form of power steering.) But, those side draft carbs are a female dog to work on. So make sure you get one that is well sorted out as opposed to needs. :)

Dale

PS Black is a great color.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Do you have a GTC now? Not sure you ever told me that, but I've seen some pics around.

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  6. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins

We've never had any problems sorting the DCOE carbs. I'd say they are very straightforward.
    What difficulties did you experience exactly?

7. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Rob, the back seat is not a "bench." There are two small seats that fold down independently to form a parcel shelf. They are small but are useable for small children where there is no such thing in the Daytona. The ones I've seen had lap belts. For a good look at what they look like both as seats and folded to form the shelf, see Forza #11 (June 1998), page 40.

As for the car itself, I've never driven one but have spent some time in the passenger seat. My impression is that the car is moden to a fault and lacks drama. Of course, this is a plus for some people. While it's often praised for its sound, IMO, it can't come close to competing with that of the less-restricted, less-insulated and rawer sound of the cars of the 1950s and 1960s. Soft controls, smooth-riding suspension and power-assited steering all add up to a much less involving experience than with my 10 year older 2+2 - or even the C4's direct predecessor, the 365 GTC. Again, this impression was formed while riding shotgun, not actually driving the car and, yes, I'm well aware that many will find its more modern attitude to be a plus.

8. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The Internet is a wonderful place with many strange sights. But there is no question in my mind that a GTC offers a much better driving experience than a GTC/4 or even a 330 GT. Moreover, while I have never driven a 275 GTB, I would imagine that the bigger motor of the 330 GTC offers a comparable ride to the earlier hot rod.

But the prices. Man oh man have prices gone up, just ask Uro Trashy!

Dale

9. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I have ever worked on one of these cars. My mechicanial abilities are limited to writing checks. What I was told, however, that the side draft carbs made even normal servicing somewhat probablmatic. I was also told that like most carbs of this period was that once you got them right, just leave them alone! :)

Dale

10. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Hell, Wayne how you know? Did you ever get that bucket of bolts to finally run? :)

Dale

11. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I think Sportauto has a nice 365GT that is manual. It is grey with a black interior. Looks nice and not torn up. the Heritage classic car is good but I don't like the idea of an auto in a vintage sports car. The sportauto car could use some resto on the seats, etc... but it is available for a fairly attractive price.
    http://www.sportauto.cc/inventory_ferrari/1967_365GT2+2/index.htm
    BT

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    So what you're saying Wayne is for a Vintage Ferrari people hauler for $100k I should go GTE or 330 2+2. Yours for sale? :)

13. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think the GTC/4 and the 365GT 2+2 are an intriguing pair, because to my eyes the GTC/4 falls just over the line of "modern" while the GT 2+2 still seems to belong to the earlier era. I've never driven a GTC/4, but I have sat in them and looked at them extensively, and it certainly feels much more modern than my 365GT. Yet there are only about 2 years between the two cars!

I would say that the rear seats in the GTC/4 look pretty much useless, while my 10 year old is still quite comfortable in my 365GT.

14. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Rob,

I have been corraling a few vintage Fcars over the last few years. I have a 330 GTC that I really do enjoy. It is nimble, makes all the right sounds and is a pleasure to drive. Recently I acquired a C/4 from Fantasy Junction. Car is a few needs car that will be fun for me to own as a driver. C/4's are IMHO a great GT for long trips. More room than the 330 for luggage, somewhat better A/C [relative for old FCars] and yes......power steering.

So for around town thrashing I drive the Dino or the GTC. For longer trips.....say Cavallino this weekend the C/4 will be hauling us in style.

If you lived closer I'd allow you to test drive them all!!

ciao
    Steve Cantera
    naples

15. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Rob,

Sam231 (Sam H.) and Michael Bayer have 365 GTC4s, Sam previously owned a 330GT and Michael still owns a 330GT. Also Michael just did a comparison between his 365 GTC4 and a Daytona with interesting results. I would recommend PMing them to get their insight and first hand comparisons.

Also, if you want the 365 GTC4 drivetrain with bigger rear seats in a much cheaper package, get a 365 GT4 2+2.

Regards,

Art S.

16. kvisser

kvisser Formula 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Damascus, MD
    Full Name:
    Ken Visser
    #16 kvisser, Jan 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've had the honor to drive Michael's c4. What a wonderful car. The Italian symphony at 6000 rpms is to be devoured by your ears. It may not be the most dramatic at getting there but its a thing of beauty to behold and easier to drive than the Daytona.

The motor is a thing of beauty, especially with the covers off. One night Michael called me and excitedly invited me to come take pictures of the motor with carbs all exposed. We spent probably 2 hours just taking pictures of the carbs.

I've also had my 9 year old in the back where she was quite comfortable. But in a few years that space would get cramped quickly.

Michael can give you a great comparison between the c4 and the 330GT. Each has their own appeal. I find the lines of the C4 so much more intriguing.

regards

ken

ps - there will be an interesting article coming out soon...

kcv
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Randy Forbes

Randy Forbes Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2006
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Sports Cars Plus,LLC
    The color-keyed (body color) bumpers look so much better than their natural black. Where any painted this way as new, or has it been done mainly to hide the oxidized endura bumper?

I've always thought the GTC/4 was a sharp car, used to see more of them driven around Detroit or San Francisco than the GTB/4s.

18. kvisser

kvisser Formula 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Damascus, MD
    Full Name:
    Ken Visser
    I believe Michael painted the front bits because he liked the look better. It was a point deduction at the nationals last year but who cares about that.

cheers

ken

19. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Sorry, mine is not! (And yes, Dale, she's been up and at 'em for a couple of years now!) If you can find one, a 330 America would be an excellent choice.

What I'm really saying, though, is that you should drive a couple of cars first. You've driven a Lusso, no? The GTE/America is very similar. The GTCs are completely different (more modern/less drama but with much more get-up-and-go) and the C4 is another animal entirely (refined anough to be somewhat bland IMO). The key thing is to drive them and see which satisfies.

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Lusso is the only vintage Ferrrari I've driven. :( ...at least it was on Laguna Seca! :)

21. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    And what were your thoughts? Do you want something similar but with a back seat or something different?

22. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Rob,

Come to the next Tom Yang east coast gathering, we'll let you drive a few.

Regards,

Art S.

23. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Dale
    The carbs a real easy. The problem is that they must be removed along with the huge air filter boxes to do the valve adjust. So it is expensive if you do not do the job yourself as there are many hours associated with the carbs and filter box removal.
    John

24. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Art
    Where can we get Michael's comparison between the C4 and Daytona?
    Thanks
    John

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    my thoughts were...

[size=+5]DON'T WRECK![/size]

...no really, surprised how easy the 12 rev'd, surprised how much power that "vintage" car really had, and it didn't handle bad either. In summary, didn't feel 20 years removed from the 328. I need to decide if "bench" seats will work or something bigger.