365 GTC/4 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

365 GTC/4

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by rob lay, Jan 23, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    What I meant was I like your car's nose in blue, and black bodied cars to blend the nose in.

2. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    I did understand that, just wanted to note that as its reversable, painting thenose opens up options. M

3. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes the C4 is more civilized and not as raw as a Daytona or 330GTC. I've had 15693 for 5 years and would not trade it for anything. Once properly set up, it is thrilling to drive, totally reliable and reasonably comfortable. I had a 330 GT 2+2 before and just didn't appreciate it's character. Having driven a Daytona, 330 GTC, and 275 GTB, I can say that the C4 delivers more bang for the buck than the others (IMHO of course). The back seats are pretty much usless if the driver is 6' or more as you will have the driver's seat all the way back just to get your legs (sideways) past the steering wheel.
    My car is a euro version, has only one set of mufflers in front of the rear resonators, and howls without being obnoxious. I learned quite a lesson the first time I drove it hard with the restored Borrani wires....... it handled poorly (read scary) when pushed. Installation of the Cromodora cast wheels made a huge difference and I would put the car equal to my '77 308 GTB in terms of cornering and handling. It has also done an honest 150 MPH and felt like it plenty left....... still pulling but I ran out of nerve.

Probably the biggest liability si the thing is heavy and there isn't much one can do to lighten it up, short of taking everything out of the trunk.

The carbs....... once dialed in they are relatively trouble free.

I know this is all subjective.......... just the opinion of a fellow Fcar owner for 21 years.

Mike

4. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Mike: There is way more than 150 MPH in a well set up C4, Road and Track (Oct 70) reported that red line in 4th was a 148 MPH with a potential 173 in 5th. I once read that Peter Kalikow picked one up in Italy and drove it 167 miles and hour over a two hour run. He said it was as fast as he had ever driven a car (he was well younger then). I have only had mine up to 140 and that was in 4th gear. M

5. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    2 years ago I had a great experience. I was in my C4 and had a 4 cam 275GTB in front and a 275GTB competition car directly behind me on a spirited drive on sweeping country roads. We were doing about 80 to 90 into the corners and 100 and a bit over exiting into the straights ie 3rd and 4th gear stuff with plenty of revs. We were fairly close and we stayed glued together, so the C4 can corner when necessary. No drama, no squeeling tyres etc. I think most C4 owners who drive their cars both slowly around town and hard out on country roads, think they are great cars.
    John

6. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Rob,
    I agree with the opinions that it takes a certain kind of car nut to choose the vintage over the new cars. Over the past 30+ yrs I have had the op to own both late 60/early 70s cars as well as some of the new cars. For new cars I find the Maranello to be one of the best cars I have driven. Comfortable, blindingly fast with loads of torque that the big V-12 delivers. And the 550-575 might represents the best bang for your buck in the Fworld.

As far as old cars........I still like the 330 GTC alot. But I am now becoming acquainted to my newly acquired C/4. My wife and I just returned from our 1st trip in the car to Cavallino [150 miles each way]. The car is very comfortable w/ a smooth ride and holds lotso luggage [the only real use for the back seats]. You know the sounds are great. But it also has a luxurious feel to go with an engine that pulls hard. As far as design..I thought it looked nice as the only C/4 on the field next to the Daytonas. IMHO also much easier to drive.

So why does one make the decision of new vs old? As someone already suggested it often has to do with what they have experienced. I had many great times with the vintage cars. But you really do have to be comfortable with all the shortcomings of a 35 year old design. More sounds, more smells, more attention required. But the experience is just plain unique.

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Thanks everyone for the perspectives. I would love to see a picture from Cavallino of your GTC/4 next to the Daytonas!

8. mfwpb

mfwpb Rookie

Oct 4, 2006
    west palm beach, flo
    Full Name:
    marcello fiorentino
    #58 mfwpb, Jan 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #59 Spasso, Jan 28, 2008
  10. modmaki

modmaki Formula 3

Sep 11, 2006
    Michigan,USA
    Full Name:
    Mo Makki
    nice very nice....iam just happy to see a discussion about 365/c4............

11. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #61 Zanny1, Feb 2, 2008
    Took 30 minutes to upload.........internet service in eastern venezuela where I work is not so good....... here is 15693 on a beautiful spring day in southern california.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ohh man I wish you were selling! that's exactly what I want, let me know if you hear of any other black ones on the market.

13. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Yeah, I have always liked the way these cars looked and black is the best. Love the wire rims. Any problem with flexing?

Dale

14. Chicane

Chicane F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 17, 2007
    Funkytown
    Full Name:
    Dirk Diggler
  15. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Wow! I think GTC/4s are so nice!

16. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    A Daytona is not more fun to drive than a 550 or a 599. I have had all 3 and driven all 3 a lot. I keep my Daytona and buy the latest model to play with for a while. I don't think the Daytona is an automotive icon. It is the 550 of its' day

17. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Quote:
    Yeah, I have always liked the way these cars looked and black is the best. Love the wire rims. Any problem with flexing?

Dr. Who - as I mentioned in the earlier posting, the wires look great......but they are dreadful in any kind of spirited driving. I had Cork at Precision Wire Wheel re-do them a few years ago (highly recommended) and did not realize just how much they limit the handling of the vehicile until installing a set of 15 x 7-1/2 cromodoras (thanks to Tom Shaughnessy) recently. The wires will reside in my garage for show ONLY. I skipped the Michelin XWX's and went with Pirelli P600's 235x60x15 ZR tires as that size was what was originally on the wires and the stance looks great.
    Plus, with all the garbage on the roads in california, seems like I get flat just about every other time the car gets driven with the wires mounted.

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  19. Chicane

Chicane F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 17, 2007
    Funkytown
    Full Name:
    Dirk Diggler
    Sorry, and with the exchange rate you aren't exactly getting a deal anyway....the search continues.

20. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI
    Rob,

You might try giving Steve Markowski a call. website has number www.rpmvt.com. I know he has one that is in the midst of restoration.

21. mdempsey

mdempsey Karting

Jun 6, 2007
    Huntingtown, MD
    Full Name:
    Mark P. Dempsey
    Love the pictures on page 1 of the thread. My car and son are in the backround of one. Always fun to see. And of course I recognize Burtonsville in the other. Where I done growed up and all. Like Jethro Clampett I learned cyphering in school down the road at Paint Branch HS! Funny what a small world this internet makes of things!!

22. CSkjott

CSkjott Rookie

Nov 13, 2008
    #72 CSkjott, Nov 14, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
    Hi‚ I'm new though it seems late but I have had other less 'flamboyant' marques busy my life‚ but most penned by Pininfarina‚ until recently I stumbled onto or 'revisited' the Ferrari 365 GTC/4 and it's turned into a slight obsession to get my hands on one - reasonably and clever if ever. I'm not sure - lots with very low km's and a lot of owners - altered colours - cut off roofs - not complete - dodgy history etc etc - many are in the US (which I have no plans visiting in the near future living in Europe and I do certainly not like the 3/4 side inserts front and back on US cars! why?) and equalled to a hefty price tags compared to just a few years back it seems like gambling at the moment and I won't part with my money easy learning the downside and possible costs of getting a 'dog' not to mention wife trouble.

The 365 GTC/4 is exactly what I want and I found a few that has my mouth running - I think it's a top GT and they are few imho - but I haven't made my move yet (and may not in the end) and checked in here for more info bfeore the 'kill'.

But my post here is just my 5 cents with a tip to Rob Lay (if you're still interested?) that there is apparently an (EU spec?) black/black for sale in the US;

http://www.berlinettamotorcars.com/ferrarisforsale.htm

Pirrone seems like the man to shop with for a Ferrari (then I don't know the man)

Myself I am warming up to a similar one in a quiet corner (a 2500 km trip away from my spot) here in Europe but the price tag is way past the rest and has me wandering the c4's on the market..

I will post again with questions and/or hopefully own one or I stumble on other interesting links itm.

Some great pics of a fantastic car - the blue with matching bumper is interesting (tho I'll leave it as is myself)

Best regards

BTW Could someone to post me a pic of what a 'perfect' example should look like - I've spotted three different ext. mirrors on the GTC and the mid section boxes road clearance and visibility on some has me boggled - can't make out if it's a bad fit on some (after-market) or others are dirty or are they originally painted?

23. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #73 Zanny1, Nov 14, 2008
    Here's 15693 with recently fitted star mags. I sold the wires. Too many flat tires. I personally prefer the look of the mags over the Borranis. And I believe the car handles much better. TRutlands coil-over konis are fitted in the back. The stock self leveling shocks are unreliable (at least they were for me).
    Rob, I only make it to San Diego twice a year and will be there the first three weeks in January. Cavalo Motorsports just redid the gearbox so I am looking forward to some spirited driving. If you PM your phone number to me, I would be happy to come by and let you take the car for a drive.

Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I already talked to Doug about this car earlier (I think). Price is right, but too high for me (maybe it will come down now?). Also don't think it was an original blk. Common with GTC/4 to paint resale black. :D

25. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    CSkjott and Rob,

Michael Bayer's car (the light blue one with matching bumpers) is availible if you are interested. There is thread regarding Michael's cars on Tom Yang's site.

Regards,

Art S.