365 GTC/4 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

365 GTC/4

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by rob lay, Jan 23, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CSkjott

CSkjott Rookie

Nov 13, 2008
    #76 CSkjott, Nov 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ah Zanny1 - yours is a precious C4 - very very nice - didn't realize the wires were 'hopeless' as such - pity - they do look great on the C4 but so the 5 star - It's THE ferrari - I do lament those chunks of square US spec quarter inserts tho - are they real indicators or just reflex plexi? A must for US speedtraps :D

Just to demonstrate my questions to the mirrors and the exhaust‚ I saw these - I presume usually a painted exhaust (blue has a newly fitted) but those mirrors on the red are something else (seen on two others) - I like them but wonder if it's after-market? The other mirrors I spotted was the VITALONI (I have them on my car and they look like monkey - but the original) fitted standard to the 400's - Both these C4's with a 'wild' price tag to what I'm looking to spend and not my color idea!

Anyway the 'right' car eventually turns up..

"The hunt continues..."

Thx ArtS - I looked it over - it's nice - but silver with black and EU spec. for sure or a black black - though I saw a light green with tan which was also sweet but looked a costly hobby and sold anyway (heritageclassics?)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Which S/N are we talking about here?
    I am able to tell you the original colors.
    Advise.
    Marcel Massini

3. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    MR CSkjott what is your name as CSkjott is not too personal?
    Anyway if you like C4s then you must check out www.365gtc4.com Jeff Littrell is the guy who runs it and he is a real helpful guy and his car is near perfect. Go to the site and select Gallery, then select a serial number of a car you are interested in and the series of photos come up. Michael Bayer's car is 14947. Michael is great guy and the car is for sale and fantastic. The other car you should look at to see a near perfect example is Jeff's car 15505 which is NOT for sale.
    These cars a fantastic to drive and real practical as well.
    Good luck and I hope you get a nice example. IMHO I do think the Euro versions are better looking and do go harder. They certainly sound "tougher". I have driven maybe 6 or 7 of them and they have all been good.
    John

4. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Also where are you from? The C4 website has over 100 members with most in the USA but still plenty in Europe. There are very experienced guys near Hannover, Manchester and Bern just to name a few without looking up members profiles. So if you are near these places I am sure current owners would be happy to give you advise on what to look for etc when purchasing one of these great cars.
    Cheers
    John

5. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    #80 JazzyO, Nov 15, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
    Let me get this straight, Dale: you're braking and you're shifting up??? My, how times have changed! :D

For me, the argument of old vs new is not the right one. The argument is for old AND new. When I got my '74 BB two months ago, I took it from the UK through Belgium, Germany, France and Holland. My younger brother was driving my 550. I was absolutely loving the BB, don't get me wrong. But after three days of driving it, I was just dying to get back behind the wheel of my 550. Not because the BB was too difficult or noisy - it was just that the 550 is so special in its own right and I was missing it. It's also how you use the car - for trips across the European continent, the BB is just a bit too impractical. And it still has to win me over in the reliability stakes.

But if ever the time comes to sell one, I will have a very hard time choosing which one. They are so perfectly complimentary - there is almost nothing in the driving experience that is the same between them, and yet they share the same bloodline.

Next thing I need will be a nice V8 (308 retro maybe) or a Dino V6. Too bad the '60ies and '50ies Ferraris are just too expensive - I am just a simple engineer so can't see myself owning one of those. Well, there's an outside chance on a 330GTC, maybe.

I hope you get the C4, Rob! Black is certainly a great colour for it.

Onno

6. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    #81 Daytonafan, Nov 15, 2008
    Not the Cavallino pics but here is my Daytona next to Dad's C4. He loves the C4 and reckons it's the best driving of the classic Ferraris (he likes them for their touring ability). Me I prefer the Daytona as a much sporter drive although the wet sump C4 engine sounds sweeter at idle.

-CD- likes this.
  7. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Must be wonderful to share that hobby with your dad. Great looking cars!

Onno

8. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes CSkjott,you are correct the rectangle turn signal lights look awful. If I ever repaint the car, this will be corrected. It is a euro-spec car, however. There are those that say the wires make no difference in handling. I do not share that opinion.

Rob - great side by side pictures. Easily illustrates the difference in the lines of the two cars.
    My apologies about the offer to go for a drive.........for some insane reason I thought you were in southern california!

9. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Thanks. The Daytona used to be his he brought it in 1975!

10. CSkjott

CSkjott Rookie

Nov 13, 2008
    #85 CSkjott, Nov 15, 2008
    "Hunt is postponed.."

A storm whipped up and seems a house hunt is on the horizon‚ and now I just woke from a weird dream where the wife‚ an assassin seeking a divorce with a gunfight a la 'mr. & mrs. smith' in a huge junkyard hangar where a C4 was on blocks and stripped‚ undergoing a minute restoration‚ I went home to suit up for the showdown.. strange - still just a dream :D

Found THE C4 me - french reg. - one owner‚ but will not tempt it now‚ looks and sounds perfect and a great combination; silver w. red

http://www.classicdriver.de/de/find/4100_results.asp?bsubmit=true&lmodelflag=12247&lmanufacturer=10042&whatbutton.x=0&page=0&lCarID=1773261

COOL! seeing the Daytona with the c4‚ fantastisch‚ like 'dad' I'm also a Touring man‚ specially Germany (often driving to France) has much fun in terms of 'testing' grounds with no speedlimit on the autobahns‚ and some proper racetracks.

Anyway‚ keeping tabs‚ BR Bo from Denmark

-CD- likes this.
  11. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    #86 guygowrie, Jun 3, 2012
  12. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Nice thread revival. Where are you GTC/4 owners and lovers? Show the love, people!

Onno

13. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI
    #88 sam231, Jun 4, 2012
  14. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I spoke with the owner, who came up from Long Island and was wearing an Autosport Design shirt. Said that he has owned the car for four years, drives it about 1,200 miles a year, the car has 39K miles now IIRC, original interior and paint (except for some touch ups here and there he said).

Very nice looking and sounding car!

15. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    This is the post that stuck out for me as I struggle to decide classic vs modern. 550s can now be had in the 60s/70s while the GTC/4 goes for $100k or more.

16. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    And will probably be worth slightly less as time goes by, whereas the GTC4 probably will keep its value. Lovely cars!

Regards, Alberto

17. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
  18. Dbone

Dbone Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2005
    Malibu
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Sam,
    is that a fiberglass front bumper painted-- or is it the rubber one painted?

Mine is in the painting stage- and I may paint the front bumper-- - your car looks great with the painted front. Others look great as well- just cleans these cars up--- I sure would like to have a second fiberglass one, then have it painted with the car and keep my original black rubber one for later.

dave

19. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    #94 Bryanp, Jun 12, 2012
  20. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    BrianP is correct that is my C4 and I had Mike franz paint the bumper it held the paint well and heaven forbid you hit something the car had some protection As many of you know Chinetti had convinced Enzo to paint the bumpers on the C4 if production went beond 1972. I always said mine was a '73.....

21. Dbone

Dbone Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2005
    Malibu
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Michael,

Does your bumper then have a slight texture to it from the underlying rubber or was the bumper first sanded or coated with something prior to painting to make it smooth as the body of the car?

I suppose once it gets prep and painted, there is not turning back- the bumper has to stay painted.

22. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Dave , there is no real texture to the bumper. When restoring my black bumper a light sanding revealed a gray to white core material that I simply repainted the appropriate sheen of black. Going back to the original is easy ,as you would prep and paint the bumper black when doing the rest of the car. I used a Krylon outdoor satin and it worked great. Mike

23. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Contact Rocco at www.rocksauto.ca in Toronto. When I bought my BB in December I recall he had a customer trying to sell a nice 365 GTC/4. I saw this car a few years earlier, it was either dark blue or black from what I remember. It may still be around and the price was pretty reasonable for what I remember was a sorted car.

24. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Recently sold it John. New owner is enjoying it with the nice weather the last 5 weeks here.

25. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    ......or you can do what the owner of the red centre one on Greg's thread.....he has a black one as well.