365 GTC/4 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

365 GTC/4

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by rob lay, Jan 23, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI
    Dave,

I had always thought mine car had fiberglass replacement bumpers - but on closer inspection they are actually the standard rubber variety! They were painted by previous owner in Texas. Even though I think the paint makes the car appear more attractive(less "clown lips" look), the sheen in the paint makes ripples in the bumper stand out more.

Sam

2. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #102 Jack-the-lad, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
    Has anyone ever taken the time and expense to replicate a C/4 bumper in chrome or stainless steel? Surely there are sufficiently talented metal workers out there to do it. Just wondering, as a big fan of chrome bumpers, myself....:)

3. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I don't know the answer but I think that it would be a very good idea to work up a photoshopped version first to see what it would look like. Of course, symmetry would demand that the rear bumper be given the same treatment as well.

I'm trying to picture a C/4 with chrome bumpers and don't think that it would appeal to me, personally.

4. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    There is no chrome to be found on a C/4. I think it's because Jack-the-Lad can't get his former 330 GTC out of his system.

5. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI
    Chrome bumpers would make me think of Hawks basketball player Ivan Johnson every time I got in the car...................

6. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    You are a wise man.

7. GaryK

GaryK Karting

Aug 23, 2011
    California
    Full Name:
    Gary
    #107 GaryK, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just thought I would chime in as a long term C-4 owner.

I have had my car since 1986. When purchased it I gave it a rolling restoration including full strip repaint and 40,000 miles later is is still a Platinum Award winner. It has been the most trouble free car I have ever owned. The engine and drive train have never had an issue. The only things I have done beyond normal maintenance are brakes, brake hoses and fuel lines in the engine compartment. The radiator was rebuilt once. The Webers, once I replaced the brass floats with newer plastic ones that don't crack, have stayed in good tune. It has coilover shocks replacing the load levelers.

I recently took the valve covers off to redo the crackle finish and while there checked the valves. They were all within spec so we just optimized those that were not centered in the spec and put it back together, adjusting the chain in the process.

I firmly contend that if the car has not been abused, has not been overheated and good oil is used the car will last nearly forever. Of course this requires the car is driven on a regular basis and brought to full temp when doing so. Fifteen hundred miles a year may not seem like much, but if it done in reasonable increments with a through warm up it will insure that both you and the car are having a good time.

The car still drives like a new car, sounds fantastic and makes me proud wherever I take it.

It will be at Concorso this year in Monterey and at the Ferrari National meet in Palm Springs this fall. We always have a great picnic by the car so if you happen to be at either event stop by and say hello and share a glass of Vino. Look for the car and picnic table with White umbrella.

Gary Kuntz
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bowzer likes this.
  8. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    What a great first post.

Looks like a wonderful car found the perfect steward.

9. 2000C4

2000C4 Rookie

Nov 19, 2004
    Auburn, CA
    Full Name:
    Aaron Masters
    Apparently at least one metal bumper has been made - take a look

http://www.thepanelshop.net/blog/?p=5

I have mixed feelings about painting my original bumper - although I do agree, I have seen pictures of a light blue C4 with a same color bumper, and it looks good.

Aaron

10. Tassie

Tassie Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    Full Name:
    Wayne Clark
    #110 Tassie, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Bowzer likes this.
  11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Beautiful! I love that color on the GTC/4.

12. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Tassie, great color. I contemplated painting my 365 gt4 that color but went with silver instead. After seeing your pictures I wish I had gone with the green. Oh well maybe in 10-15 years I'll do a color change.

13. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I think alloy wheels better suit the later Enzo-era cars, both aesthetically and practically.

14. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    ...and the rest of the collection?????????........

Bill M's car looks great with Borrani's and the colour-coded nose,as well.

15. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
  16. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    +1

This is just My own personal opinion:

The 365 GTC/4 is quite a modern, slightly angular looking car (compared to the cars that came before it), and so the alloys suit it better.
    The wires somehow make it look like an older chassis that has had a more modern body put on top.

The 365 GTB/S on the other hand, being slightly more rounded, is probably the last Ferrari than can get away with looking good on either wheel.

At the end of the day though, it's up to the owner as to which they prefer.

(And if they have a set of both, it also depends on which they fancy having on at the time! :) )

17. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    My 330GTC was delivered with Borranis, but I restored a set of Campys as its actual road wheels. I think the car looked more "of a piece" with the alloys, and it drove noticeably better as well.

18. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    If I remember correctly when Henry Manney advertised his GTO for sale he offered to include the original wire wheels "if the buyer wants even more under steer". Or something to that effect.

19. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    My thinking for the model "cutoff" for Borranis on a vintage Ferrari is the 365 GT [2+2]. To me the Daytona and C/4 with their pop up headlights and more modern styling look better with the star mags. When I acquired my previous C/4 it had both sets of wheels. One of the 1st things I did was pull the wires and mount the mags on the car. I actually sold the near new Borranis w/ XWXs to another C/4 owner that lived 2 blocks away. Normally I don't sell parts, but he begged me to let them go.

I have both sets for my GTC. The wires still take me a minimum of 40 minutes per wheel for a serious clean and polish. Pressure washers can make them clean, but they still require polishing for a show level of shine.

I still think that C/4s and Boxers represent great cars for not too much investment. Finding a good one is the key. We all are well aware of the wallet sucking sound of restorations and/or rebuilding. It's hard to justify the financial requirements of a full restoration for a $100k car. Better spend top dollar for a well sorted example.

20. Tassie

Tassie Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    Full Name:
    Wayne Clark
    Colour of my car is pine green metallic and I cheated with the Borranis, they are biggest to fit under the guards according to Borrani, 8.5/9.5 from memory.
    I think the handling is more dependent on the tyres and pressures but it is not a track car.
    Personal preference is the dark colours in the C/4, have thought about painting the front bumper but never done it as it does not stand out too much.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

21. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My thoughts exactly.

22. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    One of the best colors on a GTC/4. This car looks better with mag wheels. And if you could change the mirror...

23. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I can see where you're coming from. :)

I just think that all of the cars pre - Daytona were very rounded in their contours, thus suiting the round wires in the wheels, and the cars post - Daytona ( including the GTC), were more angular, thus suiting the more angular alloy wheels.

The Daytona itself is a clever combination of both the rounded style and the more angular style, hence why I think it can carry off either wheel type.

As for it taking 40 minutes to clean each wire wheel properly, that's quite impressive!, I was expecting it to be at least an hour each! :D

They look to be an absolute pain to clean, but once they're done, they do look the business (on the right car of course! ;) )

24. ThM82

ThM82 Rookie

Sep 27, 2023
    Geneva
    Full Name:
    Thilo Martin