365 P "Tre Posti" #8971 at Gooding | Page 3 | FerrariChat

365 P "Tre Posti" #8971 at Gooding

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Terra, Jul 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    6025 is a car I know well and have great love for.
    Nonetheless, I think the description is apt.
    While it was the Geneva show car, etc., 6025 is 100% 250 LM. It was one chassis in the run of race cars that was prepared in a stradale configuration.
    To me anyway, not the same as a purpose built/one off road car.

Best,
    Dave

2. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Not 100% - well mechanically, yes - but 6025's wheelbase was lengthened by 200mm, the overall dimensions in width and length were also changed, the roof was altered to add interior room and the car featured a full interior in the process of building it as a road car. While not entirely purpose built, at the very least, it deserves an asterisk or something. :)

>8^)
    ER

3. RJR89

RJR89 Formula Junior

May 14, 2006
  4. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I didn't know they had an antique car guy but here's his story

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/03/automobiles/collectibles/a-ferrari-for-you-and-two-friends.html?_r=0

I knew Carini was formerly with a Ferrari operation (the name of his business is F40) but am impressed he was entrusted with this. I think the NYT writer mentioning Gooding predicting $30 million when the hammer comes down is a pipe dream because this car's chassis is not a race car like the car young Chinetti did with Bob Peak (a clothes ad illustrator), which I heard recently was sold to someone in Atherton,CA.

I'd like to hear the name of that first owner of the 3-seater 365P, the one who brought the car back because it was unsuitable to his needs.,, or what de Vroom sold it back to Chinetti for (wasn't it in trade for a regular production Ferrari?). By the way you can't get a better name for a Ferrari fan than vroom (though when I used it in a chevy ad I spelled it VAROOM).

And as far as Coco taking great pains to say he never took out two ladies in the car, methinks he dost protesteth too much...that's what 3-seaters are for!

5. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I'm not exactly sure what the hell your post is about....but this care is fabulous.

6. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Who owns the tri posti with the rear fin, red exterior, and blue velour interior??

7. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It is not red. It is metallic light blue and it belongs to an Asian collector since 20 years. S/N is 8815. And it is TRE-Posti, not TRI.

Marcel Massini

8. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Suggest to consult the special auction book which Gooding & Co. produced about 8971.
    It will answer all your questions and has many old documents reproduced.

Marcel Massini

9. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    This car was the center piece of every show when new as well as the cover car of almost every major car magazine in period. While it has no racing history it will be a welcome guest anywhere. I think it may be one of the surprises of the auctions this year if it goes for only 3-3.5 million.
    To the best of my knowledge there have never been so many very high dollar Ferrari collector cars offered at one group of Auctions. I wonder if everyone thinks this is a top of a bubble so they are bring treasured cars out of garages. If some are unsold I think that this will be an instance of too many being offered in the 3-12,000,000.00 price range not the bubble popping, but a simple fact. How many of the major collectors in the world will feel comfortable buying multiple cars over 3 million when a bubble is suspected,
    Some of the prices for series production cars like Daytonas, may fall due to an over supply of 99-100 point cars being offered but I think that the major Racecars and special cars like the 365P will continue to appreciate.

10. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Well IMHO i find the 250 LM Pininfarina Stradale Speciale more beautiful that the 365 P ''Tre Posti''.

Are there more information about this car?

Thank you in advance.

11. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    So ultimately I guess it could be reconfigured as a standard 250LM so to me that makes it more valuable than the Tre Posti, which I guess has a chassis made especially for it but a chassis with no racing background, though to some the uniqueness of the Tre Posti's steering wheel in middle will have its appeal.

12. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
  13. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    The Pf 250LM has a unique history as being the street version (so to speak) as original build. There would be no reversion to anything else for it.

The converted LM that was in UAE for a while would be a different proposition.

The Tre Posti was not a derivative version of something else but a unique creation. One can point to this for the 206/246 design language.

Don't know that I would say that either the Pf LM or the Tre Posti is intrinsically more desirable that the other. Each has unique merits of its own.

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, I collect Nambe...that spoiler looks like Nambe!!

It IS hot here, maybe more Gatorade...

15. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
  16. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    You're welcome - and you are absolutely right about its beauty. If had had to pick one vintage Ferrari to own it would be quite near the top of the list. The only portion not to my favor is the red interior, but if original it would be considered criminal to change that.

>8^)
    ER

17. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Yes, you're right. The interior's colour it's a little bit strange. What a car. From the day that i've read the links that you're sent me, i'm looking to find if any model factory produces it in scale model to add it in my collection!!

:)

18. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    It is original.
    It's quite lovely. Pf really got it right.
    Trust me- it grows on you.
    I was lucky enough to spend a good bit of time around that car and having done so could never consider the interior any other color (were I the winner of a lottery).

19. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I actually agree that it works on this car - I just really dislike the color red so my preference would be for something else.

Not to worry though - miniscule chance I'll ever get my eyes on it, much less my hands. :(

>8^)
    ER

20. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    one of the most desirable cars ever made imo,

absolutely rapid, beautiful, rare and a 3 seater central driving position

perfect

21. GG Allin

GG Allin Karting

Nov 11, 2007
    Any word on what it sold for?

22. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    I am curious as I havent heard about the sale yet either.

PDG

23. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    Doesn't it go up tonight?

24. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    $22.5m unsold.

25. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but this has to be a world record for highest no sale of a car and fourth highest price for a car at auction?