365GT2+2 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

365GT2+2

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by superbimmer, Nov 8, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

#26 Bryan, Nov 28, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    On the assumption that a new car is likely "correct", I found the following photo in the R&T review (Nov 69) of the 365 GT 2+2 imported by Harrah's. Not exactly obvious, but appears that the taillight backing is all chrome.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    http://www.ferraris-online.com/cars/FE-330GTC-10241/pages/P013.shtml

not to beat a dead cavallino, but I have to retract my earlier posting in which I say that I think the same style taillight surrounds are on the 365GT4 2+2 - they're not. So I think the only other Ferrari having this surround are the Lilian De Rethy 330 GTC Speciales. I've included the link to Sheehan's site showing a detail shot of the combo-finished surround from unrestored 10241. Did Ferrari also provide a chrome-only finish? beats the hell out of me - which can be the answer to a lot of these queries .. .

drive 'em!

3. superbimmer

superbimmer Karting

Jan 12, 2003
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Go ahead ... beat it!

I think you are correct about the finish. I'm going to look into restoring the matte look. But while I'm researching that, I'll keep looking for other 365GT2+2s with the same, all shiny look ... just in case they actually did make some that way ("... beats the hell out of me!")!

Boyee ... that 330GTC Speciale is a beautiful car! Wow ... I'd love to have it. Not surprisingly, they wanted 1/2 mil for it.

4. grantj

grantj Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Grant Johnston
    I have a 1971 built UK spec (RHD) # 13861. Hopefully I can help with your quest!

My window switches are the same as yours (two only, as I have manual 1/4 windows). From all accounts my interior is original, so i suspect the switches are too.

I have a black boot on my handbrake (rema trim), and wooden rimmed Nardi wheel (yours looks like a later unit!?)

I have all chrome taillight surrounds, can't tell if they have been refinished, but suspect not.

3/4 vents are black behind-my car is Blu Chiaro (although refinished)

If you like, I will post some pics. Let me know

Grantj

5. superbimmer

superbimmer Karting

Jan 12, 2003
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Full Name:
    Bill
    grantj ... posting pictures would be wonderful!

I suspected that the switches ARE original, but several concours judges have questioned them. Is there anyway you can determine, for sure, if your taillight surrounds are untouched? BTW ... my car is #13131.

Are you new to the forum ... or are you just now re-registering?

Thanks, Bill

6. grantj

grantj Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Grant Johnston
    Bill,

I will gladly post some pics over the weekend.

What is the year of manufacture of your car?

Thanks also for satrting this thread, as we Queen owners need a little space of our own to exchange views and notes. I am not so much of a concourse buff, but am keen to keep my car as original as possible, whilst ensuring it is serviceable to drive regularily and enthustiastically!

I have spent the first year of ownership rebuilding the suspension/brakes etc and have just done a partial top end overhaul with new camshafts, etc. New brake rotors and exhaust system next year!!

I registered mid year, and have just re-registered. I have found the Queen owners in this forum very helpful and the info imparted is most useful, even here in Australia.

Good luck

Grantj

7. superbimmer

superbimmer Karting

Jan 12, 2003
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Grant ... the best I can determine, there is no resource available, anywhere, that is truely definitive about what is correct about our model Ferrari. Even though 800 is not many, in automotive production terms (I believe General Motors probably makes more cars in a day!) ... it gave a company like Ferrari many opportunities to vary the parts that were used, as suppier pricing and availablility dictated.

If we get enough feeback from owners who KNOW that areas of their cars are original, we can really put-together a reliable guide.

Like you, I really enjoy DRIVING my Ferrari ... however I do get a level of enjoyment out of the whole concours experience. It sure is a balancing act ... using her as she was intended, AND keeping her prestine. It give meaning to life!!

BTW ... my car is of the December 1969 production ... so technically it is a 1970 model (even though registered as a 1969)

Welcome back to the "new" forum,

Bill

8. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Welcome Grant!
    You had to replace your camshafts? what was wrong with them?
    I am actually starting a front brake rebuild this weekend and new flex brake lines (stock) at all four corners; any surprises or advice?

Any idea on how many queens are in Australia? I have corresponded in the past w/ Kelly V. also from Perth who owns 12009. Do you know her? My impression is that she enjoys her queen and drives the hell out of it. Check out this link to her "Gian Carlo" . . .

http://www.barchetta.cc/english/All.Ferraris/Detail/12009.365.GT2+2.htm

9. Ferrari_UK

Ferrari_UK Formula 3

Dec 6, 2002
    England
    Full Name:
    Jeff Howe
    Hi all.

I have just uploaded our full stock list of 365 GT 2+2 parts at this location...

http://www.ferrari.co.uk/bling/365.htm

Please email if you need help or further information.

Prices are in GBP and exclude shipping + US Customs duty.

Enjoy !

10. superbimmer

superbimmer Karting

Jan 12, 2003
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Jeff ... not much! Oh well ... I guess it was inevitable that NOS would eventually run out!

I've been trying for sometime now to find a "new" steering wheel for my car ... do you folks have one? Do you have any factory optional steering wheels, like wood (since my original one is leather) ... that would be period correct?

Also, Jeff ... does your company have any period correct, generic items, such as hoses, clamps, screws, nuts, etc?? How about the nuts for my air cleaner ... Jens says mine are not proper(see below).

Thanks

11. Ferrari_UK

Ferrari_UK Formula 3

Dec 6, 2002
    England
    Full Name:
    Jeff Howe
    Hi.

Well, the stuff has to dry up sometime I guess !! Having said that we have a serious remanufacture and supply program in operation.

I guess you looked at the download button at the top of the 365 page, not just the small list in red...?!

Sorry, no steering wheels; you will be very lucky to find one.

We do keep Genuine fasteners etc. The best thing to do is go down the list and make list of stuff in which you're interested and send it to me. I'll tell you what's NOS and what's repro. Having said that, it's important to note that all repro stuff is made by the original supplier to the original drawings where possible.

Hope this helps...

12. Ferrari_UK

Ferrari_UK Formula 3

Dec 6, 2002
    England
    Full Name:
    Jeff Howe
    Hi again.

Didn't give time for your picture to download !

We list #104550 at about $1.50 !!

13. grantj

grantj Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Grant Johnston
    You had to replace your camshafts? what was wrong with them?
    I am actually starting a front brake rebuild this weekend and new flex brake lines (stock) at all four corners; any surprises or advice?

Any idea on how many queens are in Australia? I have corresponded in the past w/ Kelly V. also from Perth who owns 12009. Do you know her? My impression is that she enjoys her queen and drives the hell out of it. Check out this link to her "Gian Carlo" . . .

Bryan

Being mechanically challenged, I rely on a very good mechanic for these matters. Fortunately his shop is right around the corner, so its like having an in-house assistance!!

Camshaft problems became evident when we were attending to a noise emanating from the power steering drive. When we took the cam cover (RHS) off, we noticed some uneven wear on one lobe in particluar. We suspect this wear is a consequence of old lubricant, as the car had not been maintained properly for some time. As it turned out, both sides showed up with wear, so new cams both sides were warranted. I can now enjoy the noise at real RPM!!

I have yet to put the new rotors on, however, apart from finding pads to suit, the brake job all round was a function of TLC. I'll put new original spec pads (from Ferrari_UK) and rotors on next year.

Also, did someone inquire about perspex headlight covers?? If so, I can't find the post. I am having new covers made from a new injection mould. I will be checking the results next week. If anyone needs some, I'll be happy to help!

According to the FCA register, there's as many as 25 cars in Oz. Hard to say how accurate this is, though. I have spoken with Kelly, but have yet to meet. Soon hopefully!

Grantj

14. grantj

grantj Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Grant Johnston
    oops!! Found the perspex post on another thread.

15. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Hi guys,
    I have #11717 (pic below), it was originally delivered to Germany, a friend owns #11877 which was delivered to Rome, both cars are titled as 69's but there are some substantial differences between them. On both cars the taillight bezels are polished (not combo and neither have been rechromed), the area behind the louvers is black, the engine compartment vents are satin black and the air cleaner nuts are the same as yours. On my car the steering wheel is wood on his it's leather, my car has interior grab handles his doesn't. My car has the smooth trunk floor (like 330's and 275's) his has the scalloped floor (allowed the factory to raise the rear exhaust pipes). My car has a Crema colored ebrake boot his is black but it matches his interior.

A good trick for improved cooling is to install the fan assy which I believe the correct link is below.
    http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=BCI%2D75007
    He installed them in front of the condenser/radiator (it fits almost perfectly on the condenser) doesn't look any different from inside the engine compartment, hardly noticeable (without looking closely through the grille) you get much improved cooling with much less current draw.

Regards,
    Bill

16. superbimmer

superbimmer Karting

Jan 12, 2003
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Very interesting, Bill ... just what I am looking for! Isn't it amazing all the variations that occurred on a single model. Can you provide pictures of the tail light surround on both cars? I assume that both cars are original in all these details? We need to compile some pics of these features, as a guide to restorers ... and owners like me, who need to know what is correct, and what is not. BTW ... what type electric window switches do both cars have? Two, or four?

THANKS!

17. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Hi Bill,
    Well here's the only pics I had within walking distance, by the way both of our cars have the power vent windows. As you will see my car also has a nose protector bar as in some of the Euro deliveries. I threw in an extra pic just because I saw that you like them, it sleeps in the garage with my 365.
    Regards,
    Bill

18. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
  19. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    as you can see in the previous pic, my car also has the amber turn signal lenses.

20. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
  21. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I don't have pic's of the other car at the moment, but I can tell you that the chrome on my car is original, I think that his is also, (I know that he hasn't rechromed them) but I couldn't guarantee it.

22. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

#47 Bryan, Dec 5, 2003
  23. grantj

grantj Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Grant Johnston
    #48 grantj, Dec 7, 2003
  24. superbimmer

superbimmer Karting

Jan 12, 2003
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Yes, Grant ... that is the finish in question. Seems most of our cars had this two-toned finish, but a few were all chromed.

According to my most recent concours score sheet, I received a deduction for NOT having the proper finish on my tail-light surrounds. BTW...the three judges were all Ferrari experts, including Gary Bobileff. No knock on them ... we all understand how many variations occured during the production run of many Ferrari models. However, since it now seems that my all-shiny finish IS CORRECT ... I need to document it in such as way that future judges can be alerted to the authenticity of my car (at least in this area)

This also goes for the electric window switches ... seems now that mine are also CORRECT ... another area I've received deductions from judges, including Tom Shaughnessy.

I'm not sure that there is a single person alive, that REALLY KNOWS what is absolutely correct about our 365Gt2+2s!

Thanks everyone for contributing to this thread. Now let's start adding good, close-up photos of these controversial details, so that any of us who need to do so, can capture the pics, and put them in their "show documentation" binder.

25. grantj

grantj Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Grant Johnston
    #50 grantj, Dec 8, 2003
    Bill,

Attached (hopefully) and following are detail pics as promised. It appears that my interior is original except for the carpets, so switches, handbrake boot, and door trim details should be of use.

The rear taillight cluster does not appear to have been refinished, so I'd guess it is also orginal.

As the exterior has been refinished so the vent grilles may be questionable. I now also note that the 3/4 vents have body color behind, although with a blue car this is not as apparent as on yours.

I think the hood catch and air cleaner fasteners are orginal, although the hood has been refinished.

May I ask if someone has a pic of the trunk catch as mine appears to have been reworked at some time.

Hope all of this of some use.

Grantj

Ps-apologies for the dust!! Too many weeks in the workshop!! First decent run last weekend with new camshafts and a tuneup!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login