400i timng mark? | FerrariChat

400i timng mark?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by jes-13, Jan 20, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jes-13

jes-13 Karting

Jun 9, 2006
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm trying to check the timing and can't find the crank mark. I've had no luck searching for pictures. The only info I have is from the owners manual, "...check through the slit in the flywheel housing...". I'm going to assume :eek: something was lost in the translation and they meant bell housing, but regardless, I still can't find a slit in the housing... Anybody have a hint what/where I'm looking for?

Thanks

2. Flinch

Flinch Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2009
    Holland and Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter El Cheapo
    look under the car. There is a small cover at the bottom of the bell housing. Take that cover off and you'll find all you need :)

3. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Jes
    Before I bought my lift I checked the timing with the car on 4 jack stands and me laying under the car with my wife 'adjusting' the RPM. The idle check is no big deal. Then I told my wife to raise RPM slowly to 5000, hold it a second and then back off. She chickened out at 3500 RPM and I had not gotten to full advance. I repeated instructions and this time she went to 5000 and I got full advance. The fun is laying between two glowing exhaust pipes. with 4000 lbs above your with that big lump roaring! Have fun.
    Ken

4. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    My friend, sometimes it's better to pay to have the job done.:)

5. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    In 5 years of ownership I have done all my own work except AC and having wheel alignment checked electronically before I did my own adjustments. I won't go inside the motor myself, but I do the rest which is all part of the fun and frustration.
    Ken

6. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Right now I have a Jeep project up on jackstands for a complete brake job and just the thought of being under my 400i with the engine roaring at 5,000 rpm is enough to give me the willies! Heck, even on the highway the car pulls so hard through the gears and has such a roar with the <cough> "test pipes" leading to the rear baffles that it scares me a bit. The car is like a locomotive once it's off the line and gets going it really hauls.

5,000 rpm is some serious rpm, whether under the car on jack stands or in the driver's seat in third gear running hard up to 4th and then 5th.

7. high123bid

high123bid Rookie

Dec 20, 2013
    Minneapolis, MN
    Full Name:
    Bo Andersen
    Hi,

I am hoping that you can tell me which set of flywheel timing marks to use on a 400i, please? I see no reference in the shop manual or on the web site. I attach a photo as follows. Visually tracking piston one to its top point, it seems to align the timing marking JM I 1C to the cover screw hole. Right next to it is a another timing mark AF I Qo. Am I correct that you align the JM I 1C timing mark to the screw hole, please?

[​IMG]

Best regards,
    Bo Andersen
    in Minneapolis
    [email protected]

8. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary

In the 400i Workshop Manual, the procedure is detailed on pages D7 and D8 (document 338/85), showing that the fly wheel mark to look for is "PM 1/6". According to this manual PM and TDC (Top Dead Center) are the same. I hope this helps.