410 Sport Spyder at RM Sothebys: big Tie-In with Der Snakemeister | FerrariChat

410 Sport Spyder at RM Sothebys: big Tie-In with Der Snakemeister

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by bitzman, Jul 21, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    A 1955 Ferrari 410 Sport Spider by Scaglietti, estimated to sell between $25,000,000 – $30,000,000, is slated for the RM Sotheby’s Monterey classic car auction in California in August 2022.

Rarely does a racing Ferrari with this pedigree come up for sale but it's scheduled for RMSothebys at Monterey. Among the famous wheelmen who raced it were Juan Manuel Fangio, Phil Hill, and Carroll Shelby. Aside from famous drivers it is a matching-numbers car--engine, chassis, and body. A car like this you buy partly on its racing record, 40 races, won 11, and achieved podium finishes 19 times.
    It, is one of just two factory-campaigned 410 Sports equipped with a Lampredi-designed 24-spark plug 4.9-liter V-12 and is one of a few coachwork both designed and built by Sergio Scaglietti.

Also from their catalog:"The tie-in with Shelby is the car's strongest suit. According to RN: "0598 CM was the Scuderia Ferrari team car driven by Juan Manuel Fangio at the 1956 1000 KM Buenos Aires and later piloted by Carroll Shelby during his landmark 1956 and 1957 seasons when driving for the renowned Southern California-based team principal John Edgar. Shelby won more races as a driver in 0598 CM than any other car in his racing career, with eight wins and ten podium finishes. There seemed to be no race it could not win as Shelby told a Los Angeles Times reporter, “Nothing can touch this Ferrari if it runs” and decades later he added, “It was the best Ferrari I ever drove.”

The Shelby connection with the car is so strong, the auction company is including a trophy Shelby won with the car.

Also raced in-period by legendary drivers Phil Hill, Eugenio Castellotti, Masten Gregory, Richie Ginther, Joakim Bonnier, Bruce Kessler, Jim Rathmann, and Chuck Daigh, 0598 CM is one of the most important and colorful Ferraris to compete in racing during the 1950s.

I would ask is it significant which shop rebuilt the engine? The auction company doesn't mention that.

I'm sure this isn't the same car but one story I remember from researching Shelby for a bio was, back when Shelby had a dealership in Texas the business owned they had an old Ferrari spyder that they put a Chevy into. This car apparently escaped that indignity.

Here's a lot of pictures on the auction website:
    https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/mo22/monterey/lots/r0036-1955-ferrari-410-sport-spider-by-scaglietti/1244349/photos

Here's an extensive list of its races
    http://www.barchetta.cc/english/all.ferraris/detail/0598cm.410sport.htm

I wondered about the front undertray air scoop, if it was original, but old pictures I found show it was there when raced.

Anything else that could affect its value?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #2 miurasv, Jul 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
    It states in the RM Sotheby's text that the car was restored by Stephen Griswold and Nino Epifani in 1980 to 1981.

I think the stated recent restoration of the engine refers to that, also stated in the text, by Nino Epifani between 2012 and 2016, when the engine was rebuilt by him with the mutual consultation and assistance of Patrick Ottis and his staff.

Timmmmmmmmmmy likes this.
  3. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    You are correct, sir. thank you for correcting me.

4. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT

nico308 likes this.
  5. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
  6. kinnie

kinnie Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    Belgium - Aarschot
    Full Name:
    Kinnie Van Gelder
    Who knows how much$$$$$ this beauty went in auction yesterday?

7. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA

8. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    0598 CM was acquired by Dana Mecum, for US$ 20 M hammer, who's a great Shelby fan and collector of all things Shelby.

Marcel Massini

375+, Timmmmmmmmmmy and readplays like this.
  9. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #10 BJK, Aug 24, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
    You mean $22,000,000 !!! :D

How long before Dana Mecum 'tries' to sell this car at one of his auctions? But, of course, the reserve will not be met. :rolleyes: Makes a great 'show pony' for him.

10. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    He has a quite large personal collection. Some of the jewels in the crown include Millers (and he’s a past President of the Harry Miller club), the only 1923 Packard built to race at Indy, and others. All this to say, outside of the business, he’s a genuine enthusiast. I have no way of knowing but I suspect the 410 will stay with him for awhile and will probably see track time under his care.

Timmmmmmmmmmy and 375+ like this.
  11. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    agree, but he's run his 'jewels' across the block before, never meeting reserve, just for show which is fine but it's all a game.

readplays likes this.
  12. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    The questionable source that is Barchetta quotes Yeaggi as the buyer...

Paul

readplays likes this.
  13. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    First of all, they can’t spell. It’s Harry Yeaggy, not Yeaggi. Second, I wonder if (instead) they were meaning to enter him as owner of 3413GT- which he is and which became public knowledge when the car was entered for the PB Concours last week- although you wouldn’t know it according to barchetta this AM.
    I will of course defer to Mr. Massini. If he says. DM bought 0598, then so be it unless or until he says otherwise.

14. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers

15. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    A nice companion piece to his 250 Monza. I'm not quite sure what the game is all about?

16. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    publicity, promoting his next auction. just look at the quality of cars that we have here at Mecum. ;) :rolleyes:

Timmmmmmmmmmy likes this.