412 center console seat switches | FerrariChat

412 center console seat switches

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Il Tifoso, Sep 5, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Hi all,

I did searches but was unsuccessful, so starting a new thread…

The electrical seat adjustment switches in the center console of my 412 are getting a bit temperamental and are opertating intermittently - probably from lack of use, since the seat adjustments rarely if ever change.

I’m guessing there’s some sort of corrosion built up over almost 40 years. Short of changing out these switches for new ones, does anyone have any suggestions/tips for removing them and cleaning/restoring them?

Thanks!

Ruben

2. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    removing the console is not an easy task, what you can more easily do is lift if by a few inches so as to gain access to your button, and more conveniently remove them.

No experience on the 412, but based on the older variants, if you remove the instrument cluster, you do have access to scews that hold the console. Now if you have a look at the rear of the console, in front of the brake lever you have a rectangular vertical leather trim which is held by two screws. Once front and back is removed you can lift the console (nothing on the sides).

You can then try to clean the switch with a generous amount of lighter fluid / contact cleaner. I do use "essence F" thinner (less oily than white spirit) but no idea what's the name in English.

3. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Thank you - super useful info! Seems like I have a plan for the upcoming weekend! Will loop back with updates.

Ruben

4. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Hello Ruben,

I will be doing this again very soon, the hood switch is not working again. Will post pictures, it is fairly easy - at the most 10 min.

5. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Thanks - much appreciated!

BTW, when I first got my car, the hood unlatching switch stopped working a few times. The shop I was using at the time ended up putting a relay on the circuit and getting the juice directly from the battery (apparently the mechanist to unlatch both latches uses way more juice than the stock system can handle). It has been bulletproof ever since and is completely unnoticeable/hidden from view.

360modena2003 likes this.
  6. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    #6 Il Tifoso, Sep 9, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
    Ok, tried again… @360modena2003 - you’re right that the panel to get at the hood switch is fairly easy since it’s at the front of the console. The switches I’m trying to get at at to are at the rear (see pic with red marking).

I think I identified the offending nuts holding the rear of the console in place - see pic with green arrows - they are immediately under the panel pictured there. While I can barely squeeze a finger to feel them, there’s no way I can put a wrench or socket (feels like an 8mm) to get it loosened. I must be missing something… if anyone has a suggestion, I’m all ears please!

There are some rather crude rivets in the panel - while I would t put it past 1980s Ferrari to put those in, I do wonder if 1) there may have been put there after the car left the factory, and 2) if these need to be drilled out to remove/lift the console (what a pain in the butt if this is the case).

Again, thanks in advance for any tips/suggestions!

Ruben
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Well, it seems that the Italian electrical gods have shown pity on me and miraculously, all switches are working as intended after repeated attempts… that, or maybe the car was a bit cranky at not having been driven much in the past couple of months. This was resolved after a brisk drive. :rolleyes:

I would still like to figure out how to disassemble the 412 center console since those switches clearly could use a cleaning. If anyone has suggestions on how to do this, I’d really appreciate it!