430 Headers Revisited- AP, Fabspeed, Capristo, Top Speed... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

430 Headers Revisited- AP, Fabspeed, Capristo, Top Speed...

Discussion in '360/430' started by Cinque, Feb 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    I wrapped them with titanium wrap. I could notice a reduction in engine bay temps and the wrap has held up very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. sakodik

sakodik Karting

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa Clara
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I went with Top speed and fabspeed blankets. Only got about 1k miles on them and its pretty cold right now to feel the heat. I can check the heat later tonight if a temp gun on the blankets and surrounding.

No CEL, sounds slightly deeper than stock, not the screaming F1 I want but I can't complain about for price.

RRD likes this.
  3. dvb247

dvb247 Karting

Nov 4, 2012
    I to used the word “obnoxiously loud and base like sounding” with AP headers, so much so I removed them and sold them on going back to all stock, I repaired my cracked OEM manifolds with new welds and titanium wrapped them, they’ve been fine ever since and I’m not worried about them as others are.
    On reflection I should not have sold my Zircotec ceramic coated AP manifolds as I now believe there is a perfect sound solution when using AP/Fabspeed/Topspeed headers with a Kline muffler.
    I So later this year I’m looking at fitting Topspeed headers with Kline muffler as well as other upgrades, big brake kit etc.

4. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast
    I wanted to thank everyone for their feedback and insight, it is great to see there are several good choices out there now for aftermarket headers for the 430. Especially considering the Achilles heal nature of the 430 factory manifolds. After a lot of research I decided to purchase Fabspeed headers, they reached out and provided a great combination of product quality and value.

So now I am ready to get them installed and am down to my final decision in this process, Heat management. I am leaning towards wrapping the headers with the DEI Titanium wrap which is a little more expensive then other header wraps, but in my research appears to be the top quality header wrap out there, and easier to apply (less fiberglass like issues). The cost of the wrap is still very minimal as compared to header blankets which I have ruled out due to their very high cost.

I also am considering ceramic coating too, but have heard very mixed reviews in terms of the ability of the ceramic coatings to actually be effective in successfully reducing the header temps enough, especially in a car that runs with a VERY hot engine bay like the 430. I don’t want to risk damaging other components in the engine bay. One brand I have found locally is called Cerakote. Any experiences good or bad with this ceramic coating, or any other ceramic coatings for that matter?

I wanted to ask what all of you who have upgraded to headers have done, exhaust wrap, or ceramic coating? And how effective has it been for you?

Thanks in advance for your insight!

5. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I have Fabspeed headers, xpipe, and O2 extenders. No wrap or blankets on the headers, and after 2k miles, so far so good.

6. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast
    Thanks for the feedback! Does the engine bay seem hotter after a drive than with the OEM manifolds?

I had initially been told that because the OEM manifolds have the built in heat shield and insulation, that when going with the stainless steel headers that it could get far too hot without a wrap, coating etc. I think the e brake cable comes to mind as something that can melt. I also heard that the excessive heat from stainless headers can harm the longevity of all the fluids. But good to hear no problems for you so far, maybe the potential issues have been overhyped!

7. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    I wanted to wrap my headers but was advised against it because wrap can come loose eventually and get tangled up in the belt drive and do all kind of damage. A really good high temp coating was my solution. No problems at all 2000 miles later. A good coating also makes the hot gases escape quicker and prevent heat soaking.

Cinque likes this.
  8. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I’m am no expert, but I don’t notice a difference in heat between OEM and Fabspeed. I wish I had taken temperature readings before with the OEM. Having said that, I have read other posts about the ebrake cable. I asked my installer if I needed to invest in the blankets and he said it was debatable. As a matter of practice, I always open the bonnet after a drive.

One think I do know is that the Fabspeed’s are noticeably louder than OEM. Pair that with the xpipe and you have a glorious loud symphony.

Cinque likes this.
  9. ShadowF430

ShadowF430 Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2017
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I have capristo and although I wil say the sound is the best so far (to my taste), is it worth the double price, no. Plus they have a crap warranty. I noticed one of the studs snapped off the last header bank, so had the mechanic extract the bolt and while I was there noticed the passanger side capristo air pipe had a hairline crack in it. $7000 headers with a hairline crack. Looked up the warranty as they are about 4 years and 15k miles on them, no good. Fabspeed I read is lifetime. So for half the price and better warranty, go fabspeed.

Cinque and whatheheck like this.
  10. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Your garage will actually be cooler as the OE exhaust manifolds are designed to retain heat for emmissions reasons.

I went with Agency Power and volcano wraps. Zero issues. No O2 extenders, no CEL.

There are some posts on here with regards to Fabspeed, customer support & warranty issues that you may want to search and read.

Dan

Cinque likes this.
  11. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I went with AP headers, Capristo blankets and S line exhaust. Love the sound! I probably would have went with Capristo headers if they were not so much more money....

ideloera and Cinque like this.
  12. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    Soul Performance Headers are the best.

13. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast
    Thanks for your feedback! Just curious, what high temp coating did you go with?

14. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Cinque likes this.
  15. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast
    I agree, I wanted to go with Capristo originally, but they have priced themselves out of the market IMO. While most of the other players have come down a bit in price to be more competitive, Capristo has raised their prices since I originally considered them. Seems like there are several other top quality options to choose from.

16. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast
    I had never heard of these, or seen anything about them on here, but did seem them on eBay. Have you had a good experience with them?

17. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast
  18. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    I’d recommend the titanium wrap personally.

Cinque likes this.
  19. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    A company specialized in coating did it. It was baked and they did it while my headers were new.

Cinque likes this.
  20. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    I used DEI Header wrap and mine is fine.

Cinque likes this.
  21. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast
    Has anybody had their headers coated with Swain Tech White Lightning? My mechanic mentioned Swain Tech is probably the best in the US with regards to ceramic coatings, and on a similar level as Zircotec.

I searched fchat and there is surprisingly little on Swain Tech. Anybody have any experience with their header coating?

22. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    I have top speed. Put approx 5k on them with no issues. They are ceramic coated now to reduce heat.. at first they were not, removed them and coated them.

23. KTMBROWN

KTMBROWN Rookie

Jun 11, 2017
    No cal
    #48 KTMBROWN, May 13, 2018
    Last edited: May 13, 2018
    I chose Tubi's when my manifold cracked last year, (08 430) and I am very pleased with the choice They have integrated heat shields, no pre cat, and according to my mechanic (30 yrs ferrari) they have the best fit and finish of any of the brands being discussed. They are truly a piece of art worthy of your car. Sound at full throttle is slightly louder than stock and music to my ears.
    PS: Neither me or my mechanic sells Tubi.

cavlino likes this.
  24. Mel Spillman

Mel Spillman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    I wonder why Top Speed does not make 360 headers, only 430. Anyone know?

25. VividRacing

VividRacing F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    There aren't any good fitting / good quality options for the 360 out of China / Taiwan. They all have issues.

-James