430 Scuderia being converted to manual transmission, video series on YouTube | FerrariChat

430 Scuderia being converted to manual transmission, video series on YouTube

Discussion in '360/430' started by f355spider, Nov 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
  2. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
  3. Threesixty365

Threesixty365 Rookie

Nov 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    JASON KITCHEN
    I like how they make something very mechanically simple seem like such a monumental undertaking. Cost is really the only thing that keeps it from being common.

4. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    This is a joke, right? From the website:

European Auto Group (EAG) owner Art Bartosik will do this extraordinary job with his own hands. The stakes could not be higher.

The entire underbody carriage and drivetrain will be removed. The frame will be riddled with new bolt holes and reshaped to house the new parts. One wrong cut or one wrong hole will render the car useless. The parts are irreplaceable. The computer must be reprogrammed. A single small mistake could cost everything.

bellwilliam likes this.
  5. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    sgfreak96 likes this.
  6. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Gotta sell the sizzle with the steak.

7. dstama

dstama Karting

Dec 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    D
    Not that I know much lol

But the guy doesn't exactly inspire confidence! Lol

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Z
    Yes that is nonsense. I switched off the video after watching them dremel a bolt head without taping up the surrounding alcantara (the sparks melt alcantara).

The conversion is no different to the F430 except for a cosmetic aspect: the centre console. I hope it is done nicely and keeps the Scuderia carbon trim.

9. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    On a 360/430 Facebook page a few months back a couple dudes came in bragging about doing this, how everyone who tried doing it failed, and how it would fetch a million dollars at auction when it's done. I'm guessing it's the same car. It's a great idea and a cool build, but humility will take you further than a hype man.

Sent from my SM-N950U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

sgfreak96, Yassa and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  10. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    It's almost the same thing as what I've documented for the 360 to convert ECU programming of a 430 Scuderia to that of H-gate... I hope they do this properly.. rather than hack in a f430 manual ECU and hope for the best..

11. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    His F430 conversion was the first ever? Fchat member LorenzoR did this a few years back and there was a thread about it on here. Not sure if it's been done successfully before but I haven't seen it.

This guy just inspires confidence and humility, especially when he claims he was the first knowing he wasn't.

12. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    That was something that bothered me as well; they are not taking any precautions with protecting the cosmetics of the car. When I visit Ferrari of Seattle, they place fender covers on the cars, and thick blankets across the door sills while they work to prevent nicks and scratches in the paint and carbon fiber trim.

13. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    LOL! The guys said he cringed when he was watching the other guy dremel a slot on the stripped bolt. I cringed when I saw him operate the dremel so close to his face with no eye protection!

14. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Art claimed to be converting a 458 to a gaited MT. Anyone heard about that?

I had my doubts a year+ ago when I got Wind of his 458 plan. Unlike the scud or 430 I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t be simple plug and play, and parts would surely need to be custom fabricated.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. ///Art

///Art Karting
    BANNED

Oct 15, 2014
    Currently in R&D, looking into Hurican and 458 with the last gen R8V10 6 Speed Trans. 458 will get an adapter. There's a lot of questions right now pertaining to the electronics and programming. We are thinking it will be at least 2 years before this is possible.

Currently we have Parts in development for the 360, F430, and Scuderia. See attached.

The mechanical aspect of the scud is almost identical to the base model minus a complete headache with the electronics, and some missing casting holes. Only pre taps they actually put in are in the center tunnel.

Modifications to the wiring were made, we have some o2 codes left which we already have figured out.

- For some of the concerns

* The car is completely wrapped in expel which will be removed after project to prevent damage to paint, including door sills. (We have seen damage to cars with fender covers.

* There is no damage to the alcantera, there were no sparks and in the video we are using 2 sets of audio put together (Its harder putting a video series together than the actual project - people make mistakes in movie editing as well)

* As far as production goes, my contact at Ferrari specified 512 Scuderia Coupes and 499 16M's were produced. Who knows since Ferrari is tight on numbers but this is what was relayed to me.

* Coding the H-pat into the scud ECU - This is a binary code with no descriptions, its not like a BMW where I can go in with a Laptop and reprogram the entire car and all of the modules.

* we Lost 3 coils due to wiring pin locations. We were able to pin out the harness and make adjusts for signal outputs.

* We have completed the Manettino programming with complete function with no faults in the system and complete control over adjustment.

*Of course there is some "Sizzle": just like we expect certain things as technicians, the video production team expects certain points in a plot.

Lastly, I'm not here to argue, piss anyone off or get into an E-Fight over a project. We are a great group of car enthusiasts with a lot of knowledge and skill. There are a handful of other cool mind blowing projects we are working on and brining to other enthusiasts. I appreciate this Forum and the Knowledge here, I have been a part of this board for years and I will answer and provide any knowledge from our experience as accurately as possible.

Thank you for the support, insight, questions and concerns.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

catdog, halr75, 360trev and 4 others like this.
  16. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    But why? Why would someone want to do this?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I appreciate your sharing this with us. Just watched the first video last night!

Kevin

18. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    @Art... Contact me if you need assistance with the ECU conversion side.. check out my thread on Swiss Army Knife. I've already got the abilities to make changes to the Scud firmware and recalculate the checksums with my own code and I've done silly amounts of world firsts now on the 360 ECUs and more to come soon.. F430 was coming next ...

19. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    For anyone asking why please keep this to the countless numbers of threads on the subject. It's definitely a Marmite subject but that isn't what this is about...

.. I personally get it, it's just got a whole heap more complicated on Scud than say a CS which I've already developed custom firmware for which means anyone who wants to do it on those cars can with just a reflash... This is factory ECU Challenge Stradale SW modified to work on H gate not just maps cloned across into regular Modena image ..

By the way for the 458 the rare H gate California exists so may be the way to go to seek out some conversion parts...

20. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I look forward to seeing the completion of this project and think it is a great idea. I just didn't like how it was handled in the Facebook group, but people have bad days. While I've never driven a scud I imagine a manual converted one would be an unparalleled experience. Best of luck and thanks for giving some insight into the technical details of it. I had (mistakenly) previously assumed it wasn't any different than a F430 manual conversion.

Sent from my SM-N950U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The lack of casting holes is not Scuderia specific: I assume you refer to the pedal box frame - the pre-tapped master cylinder and blanking plate was stopped early in the F430 production cycle as Ferrari realised customers weren't ordering manual cars. It is a bit fiddly but you can tap and bore out with the plate in situ.

The Manettino is irrelevant: all you need to do is recode the NQS (FAI will do that for you) and the ME7s. Again, FAI do this on a return basis.

What are the renderings for? The F430 parts fit so you don't need to redesign anything related to the gearbox.

22. ///Art

///Art Karting
    BANNED

Oct 15, 2014
    #22 ///Art, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    Everything was completed today, need to Send out the cluster to Rod and that will be the final piece. We cataloged all the parts and have complete CAD drawings for future production. Manual parts are hard to come by right now.

As a side note, I have a bunch of Scud F1 parts if anyone needs or wants them I'd like to clean up the shop as much as possible. We are moving in January to a bigger facility and don't really want to hoard everything. I have too much to pack between all of the other parts and projects off other cars.

23. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

#23 24000rpm, Dec 1, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    "the only person in the world completed it". its a little bit of an overstatement. As early as 2009 there's a guy in Shanghai did the F430 base model conversion. I personally have seen the car although 2010 isn't the year that i'd have a camera handy. Some of the parts aren't even oem. Some are machined, such as the stickshifter and ball on top of it.

great work nontheless

24. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

yea, the teaser is a little bit over the ...l,,, you know,
    frame shouldn't be touched, should it? no hole will be drilled i believe?

25. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

My car is a base model F430 2007. I completed the conversion in about april of 2017. When i converted the car I did not have to drill not one single hole. Everything was made as if the car was going to a manual shift car. All i did was to buy the oem parts from a salvage car and bolt up. The scud may be alittle different tho.