430 Scuderia being converted to manual transmission, video series on YouTube | Page 3 | FerrariChat

430 Scuderia being converted to manual transmission, video series on YouTube

Discussion in '360/430' started by f355spider, Nov 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    IMHO, the heart of the scuderia is the gearbox. Many will agree.
    ...so NO it is not exactly the same way a Scuderia is different to a F430.

I can really appreciate the work, the reverse engineering and accomplishments in doing this but really ....it's no different than a modded manual F430. If it is just the say ....I'm the first to modify a scuderia to a manual transmission ...let just say so and be honest.

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #52 Dave rocks, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    The videos would be much better IMO if they focused on the technical details and eliminated the Orange County Chopper / Real Housewives drama. One minute is all I could take. Seems to me the video production was the priority over the actual conversion

3. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    It's a 1:1 factory conversion from a software perspective and uses all genuine Ferrari parts so kind of cruel to call it just a modded Ferrari. It's a spec not offered from factory but is exactly as Ferrari would have made it if it had been on the option list.. it wasn't offered for cost and marketing reasons only, nothing more.

Gearbox is one element as are all the other calibrations which make it so much faster than base model around a track... If your not a driving enthusiast who loves to use the metal gate you will never get it.

This will know doubt be an awesome car to drive no matter what people's opinions are.

Manda racing and 808Forza like this.
  4. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    <<<<<unapologetic pandering for a ride or a drive MODE on>>>>>>>>
    these guys are just a few miles from me...... must see this in person, or go for a ride.......
    <<<<< pander mode back OFF>>>>>> :)

having known these guys since I moved to San Antonio a few months ago.... I doubt they are too concerned about popular opinion..... there are people who talk, and there are people who do.

I respect this.

Jakuzzi, 808Forza and 360trev like this.
  5. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    As a European I quite like the style but again it's opinion, the outcome matters and they are winning this conversation. Hat goes off to Art as this is no easy conversation...

catdog and 808Forza like this.
  6. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Go over and take a drive. Hell do a video... It will be an experience you won't forget , all I know is my car and I will never willingly sell, it's just Amazing.

808Forza, LARRYH and one4torque like this.
  7. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    would be cool to see chris harris run a gated skud vs a normal skud on track and provide vid/commentary....... EAG are you listening? :) LOL....... even if not CH, get a COTA instructor....... there are plenty in this part of the world.....

re the vids.... I just chalked it up to my old age...... I'm prob not the demographic for this content... plus I'm an engineer... so I'm more of a data 'just the facts guy'....... but more power to em....

'will he find the missing part?'.... stay tuned for the next episode?
    'did the skud burn down?'...... stay tuned for the next episode LOL...... so much drama in the exotic world.

808Forza and LARRYH like this.
  8. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM

Please give me a break with " If your not a driving enthusiast who loves to use the metal gate you will never get it" :rolleyes:

Also, you can call it factory spec. but it is a modded scuderia just like a modded F430

Dave rocks likes this.
  9. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Calling Randy Pobst :)

one4torque likes this.
  10. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Well otherwise your arguing about what exactly? If you love manual car aren't you even a tiny bit interested? It's pretty cool IMHO.. I'm glad it exists!

galt and 808Forza like this.
  11. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Here's my cockpit and I wouldn't change it for the world... Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    It's not an argument.
    Yes, manuals are more in tune with the driver and they can feel one or feel as if they are part of the car but the scuderia has it own precious value and the gearbox and how it was developed is a large part of it. It has its place Ferrari's history. I will repeat what Dave said earlier. It's like replacing the gearbox in a 250 GTO with a F1 gearbox. That a perfectly analogy.

You can achieve your goals by using a F430 manual ...modding the power, upgrade the suspension, drop the weight, & replacing the interior. Upgrading the power to the F430 does not take much. It will even be faster than a stock scud.

Again, I can appreciate the work and knowledge involved (mostly on your part) I just don't see the purpose but bragging rights. This isn't aimed at you Trev....but the whole youtube video screams .. "look at me" "look at me".

BlueC2, f355spider and Dave rocks like this.
  13. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    cool artwork Trev!

360trev likes this.
  14. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Cool artwork but that looks like a 360 dash..
    But get the point heck of a job....enjoy the car........

Jakuzzi likes this.
  15. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Yes its because this is actually my car which is a 360 ;)

LARRYH and Merrick Harding like this.
  16. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I get the impression a lot of people are more upset with the way the video's are shot and the exaggeration of the drama shown than the work completed. I was working with these guys across a video link and I tell you what, every time the car burned another coil or killed another ecu the stress in the air was palpable. These parts are just not cheap and it has been an emotional roller coster for them. It may come across over the top (hell these guys are Texans so I imagine it comes with the territory ;) but really there was a lot of worry and stress doing this conversion. Its not for the faint of heart. Destroying thousands of dollars in ecus and Scud specific coils just wasn't fun but they did that along the way and just have to chalk it down to experience. I don't even know the total cost but it was hard and expensive, hats off to them, they just kept on plodding through....

As for the 250 GTO analogy, I personally don't agree and that's what makes us all different, the fact we all want different things, it shouldn't upset anyone. . I am an engineer and I look at the facts, the fact is the F131(E) chassis is exactly the same as the F430 bar a few differences for the rear exit muffler (and 99% the same as the 360) of its predecessor, called it a version 2, strengthened in places to improve its torsional rigidity.

Its suspension setup is the same double wishbones and so forth. In fact its so close to a 360 bar the engine/gearbox and cosmetics that the only real differences then are the more advanced electronics package and e-diff. Its also not anything like butchering job. The car could easily be re-flashed and over the period of a few days converted back into an F1 car at any time so its not a permanence issue either. All the 360 and F430 cars have been designed to work as either a H-Gate or F1 from factory. Even the chassis bolt holes are present in the Scuderia because its the same Alcoa chassis. Only things that where not drilled where the 2 clutch cylinder bolts. Easy as long as your careful and if they are then drilled they cause no detriment to re-fitting F1 at any time in the future.

On the driving case, the engine is very different on the Scuderia to the Base F430, with its titanium con-rods (missing on the F430) helping it to rev out more freely and the ion sensing system helping it to keep higher compression ratios without detonation the power delivery is better in every way. That's nothing to do with the gearbox its attached to. Similarly the cars suspension ecu is calibrated more for the track (in the same way that the CS suspension ecu was done) and again that's nothing to do with the gearbox its attached to, its how it feels on the road. You'd spend a silly amount of time to get a F430 anywhere near how this Scuderia will drive vs a modded F430. For comparison it took me 10+ years to surpass the job that Ferrari engineers did on the CS on my car, admittedly doing it on my own vs working with a full team at my disposal.

catdog, imahorse, galt and 4 others like this.
  17. scuderia09

scuderia09 Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2007
    #67 scuderia09, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    Why would anyone remove the best transmission ever build by Ferrari Super Fast F1, into a 6 speed Stick and then see a bunch of butchers that don,t know what they hell there doing and ruin a perfect Scuderia , there going to burn a perfect Scuderia they already shorten a $5000.00 ECU and coil, why does this forum allow this crazy video to be post anyways. what a joke watching this.

18. ///Art

///Art Karting
    BANNED

Oct 15, 2014
    Trev, Hats off to you. Its been a pleasure. The car will be on the road later today, its unreal how much better this Gate feels over the Base 430, the hang ups and the triple synchro mess in the SF2 Transmission paired with the mechanical ability to shift its absolutely amazing.

@scuderia09 - The transmission was not removed.

catdog, 808Forza, evilruss and 3 others like this.
  19. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I don't take scuderia09's approach but I understand the project. I'm just sad to see it and IMHO ...no need for it...other than the title.

20. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I actually think your rude post is the one that shouldn't be allowed. They've actually successfully converted the car, could you?

catdog, imahorse, galt and 4 others like this.
  21. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Everyone please post on the F1 vs Gated shift threads, of which they are too numerous to mention if you want to discuss gated vs f1. Lets now keep this about this conversion itself.. not the merits of whether your personal preference is to do it or not. Otherwise people who are interested will not be able to find what they are looking for. We are all enthusiasts, lets keep it civilized!

galt, 808Forza, cpep and 1 other person like this.
  22. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Vids pleeeeez!

More content.

Merrick Harding likes this.
  23. Merrick Harding

BANNED

Mar 22, 2018
  24. Federal man

Federal man Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2018
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Mark Higinbotham
  25. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I had a feeling this was being done to see if it will sell for a premium ;)