430 Scuderia being converted to manual transmission, video series on YouTube | Page 5 | FerrariChat

430 Scuderia being converted to manual transmission, video series on YouTube

Discussion in '360/430' started by f355spider, Nov 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I didn't really want to get off subject but while we are talking about diagnostics I just want to say that in my humble opinion the factory SDx tool set are comparatively rich in diagnostic capabilities vs off the shelf diagnostic tools, however they are utterly overpriced for what they do and for many years it was simply that you had no other alternatives.

I will release in coming months an ultra low cost equivalent of the SDx toolset which will also translate fault codes into meaningful wording and flows of things to check based on most common likely things to occur. These days a small OBD K-Line/CAN adapter dongle with built in Wifi/Bluetooth can be produced very inexpensively. The software to drive it I will open source and anyone will be free to contribute to making it significantly better over time than the factory unit. You can then use your tablet or phone to perform diagnostic sessions and if you go slightly higher in price and a 4G module to the dongle I can offer diagnostics and telemetry logging over the internet...

In summary the SD tools could be vastly improved but they where designed by a 3rd party that had to work by the rules of Bosch. Since Bosch don't provide everything necessary at the API (Application Programming Interface) or Protocol (communication between ecu and host device) to allow it to be truly powerful, so in the end we are left with much worse capabilities such as;
    1. No way to make factory ignition ecus virgin again after being paired to an immobilizer (and therefore no official way to recycle perfectly good hardware).
    2. No way to turn on/off debug logging from individual ecu's so that you could actually see internal state to assist in fault finding this would be really useful. Simply seeing CEL's isn't really ideal.
    3. No good way to even do adaptation of factory coding on some ecu's.
    4. No way to re-calibrate o2 sensitivity after fitting sports cats (that actually pass European emissions just fine).
    etc.

With access to calibration data (which none of the current diag tools can do) I can even allow settings to be changed like the default time in seconds for exhaust valves to bark on engine start. Is that really a modification or a owner preference?

All of these issues I am slowly working through and currently they are being addressed by the Swiss Army Knife tool and the combination of both will help the community for years to come...

f355spider, Fenz and cpep like this.
  2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The price of the SD tools is a function of reasonably low volume, proprietary software and a captive market.

Ferrari is a business for profit and they also do have considerable overhead.

Yes, the tool is not cheap, however, the SDX is reasonable, especially for a shop that charges for service. Heck, my business ERP software was over double the cost and that didn't include any hardware.

When you move from a home business to one with employees, and other overhead such as paid advertising, etc. , the cost to do business goes up considerably.

3. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Yes I get all of that but I'm suggesting it's been very stagnant in terms of innovation. Almost abandon ware status...

Opening it up allows further Innovation to flourish, something sadly lacking in that space. There is a market for end user tools and they don't have to be expensive, just easy to use.

4. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'm all for innovations and advancements - 100%. But, I do get frustrated when people talk about "utterly overpriced" without consideration to the cost of running a business, that's my only point. I paid nearly $40K for my ERP software. Was that expensive? Sure. Was it worth it? Absolutely.

5. ty423

ty423 Karting

Jun 9, 2015
    Socal OC
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Wow... What would the cost be to convert a regular 430 F1 to Manual?

360trev, irix and Merrick Harding like this.
  6. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    i think someone will pay top dollar for this, i'm sure it will be propped as "one of a kind" rather than "blasphemy".

7. ///Art

///Art Karting
    BANNED

Oct 15, 2014
    What a driving experience this car... OMG.... i envy the new ownwer...

360trev likes this.
  8. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Congrats on an amazing project!

Must be one hell of an experience to drive a Gated Scuderia wow-

Funny how some people here are being negative and critical, i bet you some of them can't drive a stick thats why they are so angry lol. There is NOTHING like a stick shift, that 3rd pedal that connects you to the car- Who cares if its quicker with F1, i would take a manual over F1 any day knowing its slower.

one4torque and 360trev like this.
  9. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Actually not that many negative, those that are shout louder than the others...

I'm seeing huge amounts of positive thumbs ups for the project on Instagram after only a few short hours ...

Picture of Scud first, followed by a picture of my car which also has a gated shift.. enjoy Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Did it sell?

Wonder if a forum member buys it.

11. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    As far as I'm aware it hasn't happened yet... Auction is Saturday I think.

12. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Nice photoshop of the gear lever!

Dave rocks likes this.
  13. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
  14. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The riser should have been made from Carbon Fiber to match the console. :)

15. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yep. It should. That riser is mess - I said at the start that is the most difficult part. The rest is straight-forward.

Regardless, I'm sure it's fun and it is certainly unique at this point. I'm really interested to see how the auction goes.

16. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I agree it would look better in carbon and did question them about it, they told me they have in fact sent away to get it made in carbon but ran out of time before auction so I guess it will just be swapped in due course...

It's absolutely not straight forward to do this conversation, try removing your F1 ECU and see what happens with all the other ECUs.

17. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    oh no, the gear lever riser isn't carbon..the sky is falling...lol, who gives a ISH! That is an amazing and complicated project can't believe the knit picking

18. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Fair comment - it's the smoke and mirrors and photoshopping that got my back up
    no need - just tell it how it is.

Flea7 likes this.
  19. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    If you are going to do something, do it proper and the critics (me) will have less the ***** about :D :)

20. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Dave if you knew how to drive a manual transmission you wouldn't be so critical ;) hahaha

one4torque and 360trev like this.
  21. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev

one4torque likes this.
  22. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Well my first car was a manual and I've owned others such as two 355's (manual) - I still own one ;)

23. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev

24. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name: