430 vs 599 | Page 9 | FerrariChat

430 vs 599

Discussion in '612/599' started by MASR04, Jan 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    OHH this will be a cash deal. I have a HELOC which I will borrow from myself & bridge what I don't have saved already, but funds are available instantly. Classic example - car listed for $160; I maybe could get my boss to swing $155.

Hahahah.. Used car purchase and you're willing to come off 3.12%???

That's not negotiating..

2. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

Sean - try a new tactic - don't negotiate.

When you found a car that you really want, make a firm cash offer, tell the dealer that they have 2 hours to accept your offer or not. Make sure that they understand that your first offer is your final offer, no need for them to come back with a different price, just a simple yes or no to your offer. You either buy the car at your desired (fair market) price or move on. No games.

It cuts through the drama, BS, and other stuff. You either get the car you want at your price or you don't. It works for me.

3. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I agree with Clembo, give them a number and stick to it. Whether you give them a deadline or not might depend some on how old the listing, how unique the car, etc. I often give a firm offer but let it stand.

4. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    That's the only way to get a deal done without being taken advantage of.

When my dad was negotiating for his car, the local dealer was monkeying around playing all sorts of games. While he was still on the phone at the same time I called another dealer further away with the same car in stock. Asked for their oldest salesperson and made it simple: You have X car on the lot, I will pay you X for it. If you say yes, I will be on my way in 10 minutes. By the time hung up his call, all frustrated, his deal was done on my end.

5. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I have not been negotiating. My max budget is $130 - that does not leave me much room for many options at the moment. Sorry for any miscommunication.

Also, if I could afford a $160 car and offer $145; I'd expect to get it. $155 is not a fair deal in my opinion. I darn sure don't trust a dealer to price a vehicle approx. $5k over what they have in it for a fair profit on there end for simply brokering something.

6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Whatever you do, make sure you leave a good $10k cushion for "stuff happens" factor. It seems to me you will have to wait a little bit longer. What are nice 575s and 550s going for these days?

7. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Especially if it hasn't been driven in a while.

I purchased a 612 not long after it's major service and it did well on it's PPI; yet, still had the following within a year:
    -All 4 TPMS sensors replaced
    -6 of 10 ball joints replaced in suspension
    -Battery replaced
    -Key Fob replaced

8. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Boy that all sounds familiar.

9. MarketGuy

MarketGuy Karting

Oct 19, 2011
    fx trader reminds me of that 'Reaper' guy from years past that posted so much crap about him in the markets. A few of his threads and you'd swear he owned the entire financial marketplace. Turned out to be 200% bogus...surprise, surprise.

Btw, -if-, and I mean IF, fx was 'one of the biggest derivatives' dudes around, he'd be making a hell of a lot more $$$ a week than what a used 599 costs.

And, even if he's a car nut, he'd likely be buying lots of stuff vs. riding around in high mileage MB cars. Obvious answer is to by a couple of new Fcars, a Lambo or two, maybe another MB, etc.

At his lofty income levels(ha), he wasted more time spewing in this thread than it woulda taken to hit a hot trade or two and buy some nifty cars.

10. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Good 575 is same money as a high mileage 07' 599

11. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Clutch will probably last 400% longer for you F1 in 599 vs 575. Big consideration.

12. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Ohh yes! Agreed. Everyone I've spoken to says the exact same!

Plus, I'd be settling for 575 with that small difference in price..

Great car, but a little extra gets you tons better technology and F1-S along with - wait for it - NO BELTS!!!!!

13. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    :) Meh, belts aren't so bad. And I had essentially the 575 motor in my 612 and it was PLENTY fast. I don't disagree obviously, given the choice I'd go 599 as well. Just sayin'

14. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Well the best part is not having to be as picky with previous history on 599 as I would with 575 because maintenance requirements are far less between the two.

15. Patrnflyr

Patrnflyr Karting

Jan 23, 2012
    Lubbock, TX
  16. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    I purchased my 2008 599 last year with just under 11,000 miles on her. I paid $157,000 for the car. The dealer I purchased the car from spent $4,500 bringing the car up to current service. A couple of months ago my local Ferrari dealer called me and had a customer that wanted a 599. He offered me $135,000 for the car saying that he wanted to flip it for $145,000.

The bottom line is, it appears that I have lost around $20,000 to depreciation since I purchased the car. I have to agree with the previous poster, the fun I have had owning the car far outweighs the money I have lost to depreciation. If you purchase a 599 you will not be disappointed.

17. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Thank you for the contribution to this thread! I've calmed down a lot and am waiting for the right one to come along.

I would even argue that they would have sold it for more than the $145 they told you. Your car hasn't deprecated that much. An 08 with 18k miles on it is still strong $145-$152 money.

18. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    Thanks Sean. I think you have your head on straight. I waited until I found the right color combination. I love my 599. I think when you find the right one for you, you will pull the trigger and then be in store for years of enjoyment.

My next door neighbor is a retired GM executive. I let him take me for a ride in my 599. As he drove it he just smiled and chuckled under his breath. He has owned many show quality muscle cars and custom cars over the years. He said he had never driven anything like the 599.

19. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Those muscle cars really don't compare.

20. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    They're also a dime a dozen. Since a car is an extenuation of yourself - I darn sure do not want to be like all the other plain wrapped ones out there!!!

21. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Last year I had a 612, the only 612, in blue, at the FCA national concourse. There were probably a hundred red/tan mid engines. Birds of a feather, right? I don't think any of them were feeling unique that day. Been through four fcars and have yet to choose red.

22. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I just want a 599 for the right price - not caring too much the color.

Color Choice, you ask. Cheap, I reply!

23. Patrnflyr

Patrnflyr Karting

Jan 23, 2012
    Lubbock, TX
    Well, the other one sold and I've found this one which is owned by the dealer's owner. It's just come back from Ferrari of DFW for servicing. Don't care for the wheels at all but that's an individual preference. Considering the other one had an "asking price" of $144,000, this one seems very high priced. The salesman keeps saying it's been sitting on the showroom floor and the owner's only put a few hundred miles on it since he bought it. I would think that hurts this sale since it isn't used much and people climbing all over it all the time. His trade in price on my F430 isn't what I expected either. Maybe we can meet in some middle ground. What do you think?

Used 2007 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano For Sale | Grapevine TX

24. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Those guys at the dealership are idiots. Idiots because they won't negotiate. It was $165; but after a long email about me explaining pricing - they reduced it two days later and I am assuming not negotiating.

That car isn't worth more than $150

25. Patrnflyr

Patrnflyr Karting

Jan 23, 2012
    Lubbock, TX
    #225 Patrnflyr, Sep 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Went to look at it yesterday. Impressive car. Now just need to line up the ducks in a row. Banking, insurance, etc. I was kind of shocked to see insurance much higher than the 430. I guess that's based on "hull value", not driving style. Have to start shopping for wheels too, if I buy this car. I just can't live with the originals. No way!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login