456 leaking power steering fluid from left rear quarter? | FerrariChat

456 leaking power steering fluid from left rear quarter?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Ferrarienthusiast71, Apr 24, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrarienthusiast71

Ferrarienthusiast71 Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2023
    Full Name:
    Charlie
  2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The power steering and self- leveling rear shocks share a fluid supply. Check for leaks in the system.

3. Ferrarienthusiast71

Sep 13, 2023
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    Would you say this is something severe, or probably just a loose hose ?. It’s very low miles and everything else works fine

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Impossible to tell, but that is quite a bit of fluid. Best guess would a loose hose or fitting, but you need to get her on a lift and let someone knowledgeable look at it. There are also two accumulators back there.

5. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Not gonna love either answer...

Your shock is leaking. They are all known to do this eventually. If you are lucky and the car was sitting its from the seals and all can be rebuilt. Do a search for who in the world is reliably doing this at the moment.

If not so lucky its the body of the shock that ruptured and will need to be replaced.
    Plan to overhaul both sides.

Now the upstream reason why is likely the hydraulic accumulators underneather have failed. They look like little black bombs next to the fuel filters and are Nitrogen filled dampers for the SLS system. They slowly fail over time and should be replaced as a wear item. Unfortunately when they go, the hydraulic pressure in your system has nowhere to dampen and the shock becomes the weak spot.

These were recently available again, but not sure of worldwide supply. Same part as 80-90s BMWs use.

Get underneath and get things assesed, but dont plan on driving it.

Sorry

KrissKross likes this.
  6. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    +
    ++1

I had the same puddle underneath. You can get the shocks rebuilt but be aware not all rebuilders are same. Some communicate better than others. Some take upwards of six months to return your shocks.

7. Ferrarienthusiast71

Sep 13, 2023
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    Do you know of a good fast rebuilder?

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #8 Rifledriver, Apr 30, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2024
    I am not sure such has ever existed.

Performance Shock in Sonoma CA has an expedite option but still not that fast by the standards of most. They are also probably the best.

I did also recently hear of someone in North Carolina as I recall. RE Suspension Mooresville NC.

The entire industry is suffering a shortage of quality, qualified people. Its just the way it is.

But the cart is way before the horse here. You as yet do not know whats wrong.

9. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
  10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
  11. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    They say it fits "456: ALL." On their website that means GT/ GTA + MGT/MGTA. However that designation was wrong on the under plenum temp sensor (too small for hole). I called them on it and they said that is what Ferrari said would fit all.

YMMV.

12. Ferrarienthusiast71

Sep 13, 2023
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    The industry is short on people, but they also don’t wanna hire or train people either. So there you go one day no one will know how to fix these cars

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I only look up parts at reliable, quality suppliers like Maranello Classic.

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    What complete stupid ill informed ********.

15. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    It's true in general.

Try to find someone now that can sync my carbs on my 1974 MGB, change the belts on my 308 or even align my 82 Alfa Spider here in Birmingham AL. 20 years ago I had several skilled and experienced mechanics that could and would do these things for me. No problem.

Not anymore and it isn't going to get better, Those days are gone forever.

I take my 308 to Atlanta and even that person is eyeballing retirement.

And those are simple cars to work on. I cannot imagine needing help with a SF 90 Stradale in 30 years.

Mirek likes this.
  16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    All true but it isn't being caused by an entire industry unwilling to hire or train. Thats an illogical fantasy.

Dr Tommy Cosgrove likes this.
  17. Ferrarienthusiast71

Sep 13, 2023
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    I hope I’m wrong, what places are looking to hire or are doing an apprenticeship ?

18. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    #18 Mirek, May 1, 2024
    Last edited: May 1, 2024
    We use local CAP Programs and colleges with automotive programs (Binghamton, etc….) to try and fill dealership bays. This is to only to work on only new stuff too and it is a struggle. A good level 3 diesel or electrical tech can pull down $150k+on the coasts after not too long and we are struggling to find folks.

Rifledriver likes this.
  19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #19 Rifledriver, May 1, 2024
    Last edited: May 1, 2024
    Do you honestly believe an entire industry short of workers turn away qualified applicants? Really?
    Almost everyone is looking to hire. I see shops advertise in Fchat regularly.

Ferrari factory for first time in history has an apprenticeship program. A training school in Maranello on the factory grounds.

Very few in the Ferrari business want apprentices. We want experienced mechanics preferably with European make experience. That has never changed. It was that way 50 years ago, it s for the most part that way today. Is there anything wrong with that? We want someone who has paid some dues, has some experience.
    McPhearson College has a program that has placed a lot of people in the Ferrari business and works closely with the Ferrari club, Revs Institute. Paul Russel Co., Pat Ottis Co. and MPI.

Nobody can turn away people who do not apply. They are smart enough for the most part to know it is a dying industry. I regularly discourage people from getting into this business. It is the equivalent of going into buggy whip manufacturing in 1925. The industry is doing well today but if I was 20 I'd want to have some confidence my skill would be needed 30 years from now and just where will the industry be then?

Please, before saying something that stupid try to have some idea of the subject matter.

Texas Forever likes this.
  20. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Whatever.

All the suppliers have that part messed up. I think the problem is with Ferrari not the supplier. But good to know you only do things the “right way.” I was worried.

21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Well MCP who is the official exclusive Ferrari supplier does not show them as applicable to both cars. I wouldn't know, I have never tried but have never had reason to question information on their site.

22. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #22 fatbillybob, May 9, 2024
    Last edited: May 9, 2024
    IMO the quality shock rebuilders are the guys who support the quality shocks racers use. Look for the guys who sell and support Penske, moton, mcs, ohlin and JRZ. Those are the predominate brands racers are using. Bilsteins are sometimes used but in the classes that do not allow adjustable shocks. The faster racers and national level competitors are rebuilding and revalving shocks annually. The business rush on shock rebuilds does follow big racing events like SCCA national runoffs and the beginning of race seasons. So a california rebuilder like performance shock in sonoma will be working hard last quarter of the year getting product to racers to test and prep for the season open in january. RE Suspension in NC might have a bit more breather because the NorthEast will still have snow by March. Anze suspension in florida could be busier like Performance shock because the southeast race season in in full swing in January with lots of tracks not far apart, road atlanta, nola,sebring,daytona, homestead...

So as a racer my recs are performance shock, ca., Anze suspension, fl, RE suspension, NC. Those 3 see lots of SCCA racer shocks. I have only used performance shock and the B+ team (not as big reputation) is shaftworks in SoCal. I got my last set of JRZ triple adjustable shocks rebuilt in two weeks. I'm building confidence in shaftworks. Call any of those guys and see what the turnaround time for shock rebuild and if they can do a 456 shock. It will vary. I think the ability to do a 456 shock is less about ability and more about parts but I myself have never put hands on a 456 shock.

Edit...I can't say enough good things about performance shock in sonoma (PSI). When Moton was transitioning to becoming MCS , I built my suspension for my 550 on moton shocks. I weighed all the components, a-arms uprights etc. and did the suspension math came up with empirical spring rates and gave my data and a set of moton double adjustable shocks to PSI and they custom valved the shocks. I set the car up for light trackday duty. The valving was perfect! I have lots of faith in them.

23. Ferrarienthusiast71

Sep 13, 2023
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    Can you send a link for the Ferrari apprentice program ?

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have no idea what it is. Sorry.

How is your Italian?

25. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I think PSI rebuild my 456 rears in April 2024 right before I bought my it. IMHO the job they did was "fair,"
    I do feel there is a slight asymmetry in the rebound/damping/something between my two R shocks as I will get an occasional rear end lateral jitter as if I had mismatched rear shocks. The shocks are also valves more aggressively now then OEM, I am certain. This is because my R ride quality with PS4 tires is notably stiffer in regular mode than my 575 on race tires (RE71rs) in sport mode, even when controlling for tire pressure/new 456 accumulators/etc. I realize apples to apples but there is no way that was how it was setup from the factory.
    I only have about 800 miles / 1 year on the shocks so I will give them more time. Switching to FHP springs and dialing down the ride height by a 10mm may help as it may be the 456M rear springs being too soft issue and that is making it more apparent now w more aggressive shocks.