456 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ccr2002, Jan 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AndyE

AndyE Karting

Jul 5, 2004
    Gloucestershire
    #26 AndyE, Apr 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Nice colour leather.

I didn't realise the centre console was different on a LHD... what are the switches nearest the rear?, edit...it's ok I've worked it out!

(I've got red callipers too)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Kent A

Kent A Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2004
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Kent

Good observation. My ash tray is next to the shifter and yours is down below. The switches that you have by the shifter are near the rear of my console.

3. AndyE

AndyE Karting

Jul 5, 2004
    Gloucestershire
    I must clean that bit, it looks terrible!

4. Kent A

Kent A Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2004
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Kent
    What color is your exterior?

5. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i think the 456M (as opposed to the pre-m) will maintain its value around the $70-90k mark for a while. the competition from other 4 seater hi-end coupes is tough, but the 612 wont get below $150k for a while, and neither will the bentley gt, and below this price you will have the 456 regular at $40-60k which will lend support. for the price to completely crater, there has to be a lack of anything for sale below, and a need for the seller's to sell, and i just dont see that happening for a little while (and then you can argue that inflation will catch up to it). just my 2 cts

6. 45Six

45Six Rookie

Jun 8, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Sam N.
    456 values from the view of a Florida car dealer, who just bought one.

Part of the reason the value is so low is because of the poor maintenance that so many of them have received. For some reason or another Chase and a couple of other banks were on a binge a few years back leasing exotics. Dealers (myself included) jumped on the wagon since the residual was high and the cars were cheap you were able to lease someone a 456 for a low payment and still make a nice profit on the cars. Thus the cars were not really going into the hands of REAL Ferrari owners and were poorly maintained and driven rough, being that the customer did not really care, after all in 3-4 years his lease was up and he returned the car to the bank and it was no longer his problem. Now you can go on eBay and see most of those pigs from 1997-2001 for $50,000 to $85,000, but you are probably getting an auction rat, not a clean, well kept car.

Still another point of view is that even though the car was a gentleman’s car, most people do not want a Ferrari with a big shift lever for an automatic transmission sitting in the center of the car, it’s not an F-1 or even a Porsche Tiptronic, it’s just an auto in Ferrari, big oxymoron in most people’s opinion. (BTW my car is a 2001 with the automatic transmission). I happened to get lucky and found a well maintained one owner car that was always dealer serviced, and when it came time for PPI needed only rear brake pads and motor mounts.

The reality is that these cars will probably stabilize and hover around the $50,000 mark after all the junky cars have been weeded out, since the next run of owners such as myself would want to have a proper looking and maintained car and will not buy the pigs and would rather pay UP for a nice car then buy a cheaper one that needs money. And the truth is what car can you buy for the $75,000 range that gives you 12 cylinders, a prancing pony, and bragging rights?

My .02 cents worth.

7. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If your auto transmission hits the silk isn't it about a 50K or so repair?

8. 45Six

45Six Rookie

Jun 8, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Sam N.
    Its $50K if you dont have someone who knows how to fix it and just throws in a new one. I have seen them rebuilt at $12,000 still no bargain, but try to keep it from breaking...

Sam

9. 45Six

45Six Rookie

Jun 8, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Sam N.
    Its $50K if you dont have someone who knows how to fix it and just throws in a new one. I have seen them rebuilt at $12,000 still no bargain, but try to keep it from breaking...

Sam

10. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Well, having just bought a 1997 with 27,500 miles just the other day (awaiting delivery), I found one with all records, all tools, all books (2 or 3 owners, yet to verify). So, well documented cars are out there. On another thread I posted the major items fixed during prior ownerships. I bought it high $50's. I intend to make it a daily driver. I hope to keep it for a few years without much damage to my pocket and trade it for a 550. I am assuming/hope that I bought it at or close to its inflection point in the depreciation curve. We'll find out in a few years I guess.

Alberto

11. Davidindallas

Davidindallas Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Alberto, congratulations. I assume your car is an automatic, as very few six speeds were made in 97. Is that right? Post some pics when it arrives.

12. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I screwed up, it's a 95 manual 6 speed. Not sure what I was thinking. Pics when it gets here or you can go to Cavallinomotors.com or to Ferrariads.com for pics for the time being. Obviously they will be removed shortly.

13. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    like a good buy at high 50's....keep us posted on 'post' items....

14. 45Six

45Six Rookie

Jun 8, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Sam N.
    Martin at Cavellino has a good reputation in the car world, so you should be getting a pretty nice car...

Sam

15. whatsupofficer

whatsupofficer Formula Junior

May 25, 2007
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Carlos
    #40 whatsupofficer, Jun 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    There were approximately 3,000 made including GT, M and all.
    If you need the exact number i would have to research it, but this is a good ball park figure.

17. prancin horse

prancin horse Karting

Aug 22, 2005
    Naples Florida
    Full Name:
    chris
    my research finds 1548 GT Coupes produced from 92-98. there were 403 gt automatics made from 96-98. With total production from 98-03 finishing with the MGT and MGT total 3726

18. prancin horse

prancin horse Karting

Aug 22, 2005
    Naples Florida
    Full Name:
    chris
    There were a total of 3726 per my research. 92-98 there were 1548 456GT produced. 96-98 the were 403 456 GT Automatics produced. From 98-03 the balance were 456 MGT and MGTA.

19. 45Six

45Six Rookie

Jun 8, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Sam N.
    Looks like a decent car, but note the New York registration, make sure it was not a city car, nothing like the New York roads to kill a car...

Sam

20. prancin horse

prancin horse Karting

Aug 22, 2005
    Naples Florida
    Full Name:
    chris
    I would rather drive my 95GT with 15k miles for another 100k before letting it go for under 75k. It seems like 1 mile on a normal cars odometer is like 5k on a Ferrari. Doesn't make sense if it is properly taken care of. I have put 7000 exhilerating miles on mine and 10k of maintenence and upgrades in 2 years. Don't sellers have a responsibility to help maintain the value of these cars. I won't ever let my baby go for pennies!!

21. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
  22. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    So that car is called "Black over Tan" but exterior looks charcoal gray to me in the pics. Which one is it?

23. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    That was my old 456GT and the color was Canna di Fucilli (sp).

Someone did get a great price for the car...no issues and extreamly reliable when I owned it.

24. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    The colour is Canna di Fucile or Rifle Barrel: really nice color combo and those 575 wheels look great!