456M fuel pump overhaul | FerrariChat

456M fuel pump overhaul

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by bergxu, Apr 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Pumps all done today. Had a spare hour left after fixing a stack of broken Maseratis and Alfas (although I did have a Giulia Quadrifoglio in today so that was fun). Figured was a good preventative job while the car is still in winter hibernation. New ethanol resistant pump rubbers from Ricambi, new backing plates and basket filters and vibration pads from Maranello Concessionaires and new PTFE tubing and submersible fuel hose from Radium Engineering in Oregon. Funny that the new pump rubbers hail from the same city as me--rubber capital of the world--go figure!

Anyhow, old rubbers were toast as I expected. All set now to go back in!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Aaron- Looking good. Had to replace one of my 575M's fuel pumps (my techs did it), and on second thought should have done both pumps at the same time.

Makuono likes this.
  3. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Awesome. Heading down that road soon.

4. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yep, likewise. Nice job, Aaron. Stu, your car is rapidly headed into the "remanufactured" category. Very nice, sir.

5. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    I know what you mean...

Two years ago we changed one of my 612's fuel pumps - it was leaking big time. By then, I wanted my Ferrari tech to change both pumps but he insisted that the second one was perfect and there was no need to replace it.

About one year later, the fuel smell returned. That older pump was leaking big time through its cover - exactly as the first one did.

The price of the pumps is low comparing to the work to have them changed.

6. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I was noticing a periodic fuel smell in the boot when the tank was full and found this after close scrutiny of the old backing plates;

For the record, I went with factory plastic plates as they were much cheaper than the aftermarket metal plates and if they lasted this long, then they'll just get replaced in another 19 years when the pump rubbers are shot again!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The covers were improved on the 575M with no change in part number from the earlier version, but different color plastic. Hopefully they did the same for the earlier V12s.