456mgta cut off valves melt | FerrariChat

456mgta cut off valves melt

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Robert Ziuraitis, Aug 14, 2021.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robert Ziuraitis

Sep 9, 2017
    Full Name:
    Robert Ziuraitis
    456mgta cut off valve keep getting to hot and melt. This has happend 3 times. First time just 1 melted. 2nd time both melted. 2nd time i also replaced the exhast manifold valves on both sides too. They both were bad. This time i have not looked at it yet but the check engine light is on and i smell rich fuel again same as last 2 times. What could be making these melt. Thanks

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Cats overheating, possibly. Sounds like you are close to a 456M GTA barbeque.

3. Robert Ziuraitis

Sep 9, 2017
    Full Name:
    Robert Ziuraitis
    Well i dont think its getting that hot. I guess it could be. Seams like the ones on the exhaust manifold are failing. And letting hot exhaust through the hose to the plastic ones up front. I only put about 3000 miles on this car a year and about the end of summer i have to replace these

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    You're right to suspect the check valves on the exhaust system and to make sure they are always in good working condition. One other thing to do is make sure that some other fault isn't (wrongly) opening the cutoff valves during warm-running (like the solenoid vacuum valve being bad, or a wrong signal telling the solenoid valve to open) -- there should be no vacuum applied to the cutoff valves during warm-running. Also, you should make sure that the electric air injection pump is running (and working) during cold-running -- when the cut-off valves are open during cold-running, they rely on cool air coming from the air injection air pump to keep them cool. Good Hunting!

5. Robert Ziuraitis

Sep 9, 2017
    Full Name:
    Robert Ziuraitis
    Ok thanks for you reply. The injection pump i believe is on passenger side wheel well. I will check that and see if i can hear it working