458 Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel: should I get it? | FerrariChat

458 Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel: should I get it?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by NR458, Feb 29, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NR458

NR458 Rookie

Oct 1, 2011
    Im debating adding the carbon fiber steering wheel on my 458 build. Anybody have it and think its worthwhile? How often do those LED's light up? I believe its about $4800?

Advice please.

2. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    Yes, if you ever decide to sell it, most want a 458 with it. You can save some money by using Macarbon for the other interior carbon. G Rahal was very happy with the job they did with his UG TT 458.

The lights come on around 6k rpm, and then increase as you approach redline. Hope this helps.

3. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    Is it "worthwhile"...probably not. Is it "cool"...ABSOLUTELY!

4. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    I thought I would use it when driving the 458 at Exotics Racing, but only used the tac. But you are right, it certainly looks cool.

5. NR458

NR458 Rookie

Oct 1, 2011
    Would I recover at least some of this money when I sell it again? If it's an option that most Ferrari buyers would look for, then doesn't it make "more" sense?

6. shawsan

shawsan Formula 3

Jul 2, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Won't improve your driving and may actually distract you. Won't save any noticeable weight. You'll never recover the cost of the option. Many won't care except those who love bling.

7. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    Yes absolutely. But if you are going into a new Ferrari purchase, and worried about depreciation, you are going about it the wrong way. Even though I got my 2001 360 Spider with really low miles, and less than 1/2 original retail value, after 2 years of ownership, I will not get all my money back. If I trade it In to a dealer, 30k hit for less than 2 years of ownership.

If you really love the 458, get one, drive the heck out of it for 8-10 years, then if you find something you love more, buy that. It is more than enough car to satisfy 90 plus percent of the population. Usually after 2-3 years, options are worth about 1/2 of original MSRP cost. You don't have to go crazy with options to enjoy a 458.

IMO must have options:
    Scuderia Fender shields, Carbon led wheel, sport wheels gray or silver, race seats (the most comfortable and coolest looking) and that's really all you need. Add Macarbon interior bits to match the wheel, cruise control if you will be taking longer trips, maybe parking sensors.
    The rest is just fluff that will not improve the driving experience one bit. Maybe deviated stitching, and the right color brake calipers. All this is probably no more than 30k of options, including the Macarbon bits.

Good luck, I am excited for you!

8. mathematics

mathematics Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    LeatherFoot
    it is worth it IMHO.

9. cka

cka Formula 3

Oct 12, 2009
    botanic gardens
    Full Name:
    king
    I have this option and it's nice with the lights coming on when you push the car. I suggest you go for it.

10. mihirdhanak

mihirdhanak Karting

Dec 31, 2010
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Mihir Dhanak
    It is a vital option I feel and shouldnt be missed, the 458 doesent look complete without it. When you fancy a proper drive trust me its worth it.

11. bkhko

bkhko Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2011
    HKG
    Full Name:
    Koby
    Your own choice really. Don't worry so much about resale of "what if" scenarios. Truth of the matter is that used buyers will ALWAYS find something to nit pick you on price. If its not the steering wheel, then it's the roof liner, the seat style or iPod. Unless you're ready to tick off all the options, the next buyer will find something (even if it's irrelevant) to negotiate with. It's the simple fact of the matter, and frankly I think we'd all do the same.

I didn't order it for my march build. Nice idea, actually think the LEDs are cool, but not liking interior carbon fiber for rest of cabin, I didn't get the steering wheel. CF seems a bit too over used in the mainstream (i think) and quite like the solid aluminum dash and vent housings.

Your car so it really doesn't matter in the end....

12. Webraider

Webraider Karting

Sep 12, 2011
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Ulli
    I did not order it.

First: Bling-bling (LEDs are better for Godzilla, -ehm- GT-R)).
    Second: When driving by night, it distracts your eyes (RED !).
    Third: I don't like CF (HAD to accept it for/with the seats)

My conclusion after having used it in one of my test-drive-cars ? If I'm not able to decide WHEN to shift/switch gears judging by the SOUND of the machine and its VIBRATIONS going through the gears, I shouldn't be driving this kind of car in the first place.

After all this is NOT a F1-race-engine running up to 18,000 rpm which -because of the wide rpm-range- makes it a lot harder to sense the max level for each and every gear.

I guess it just needs some getting-used-to the sounds of the machine when moving through the range of rpms to switch gears accordingly. I got used to it in my Porkers and never needed a fancy LED-string there.

BUT: To each his own. ;)

Cheers,
    Ulli

13. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Completely disagree except for the weight part.

It won't distract you at all. If you're driving quickly it helps you shift at the optimum moment (not everyone can do it by listening to the engine).

I don't think it has to do with bling bling at all...it's very much useful. Your eyes don't look down to the tacho to see how close to the redline you are (quite a few people do this) and will prevent you from banging on the limiter.

14. rblissjr

rblissjr Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2009
    Westlake Village, Ca
    Full Name:
    Robert Bliss
    Definitely get it! I use mine all the time!

Rb

15. Jdriver

Jdriver Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I support the opinion of getting it. I ordered my 458 a few months ago and didn't fully appreciate the led's until I drove a 458 at speed, it really helps and it looks fantastic. As for resale, I believe most buyers would want it as well.

16. -EZtrader-

-EZtrader- Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2009
    I had one on my scuderia, did not order on my 458. Don't miss it at all.

17. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    If you like it, get it. If you don't, don't.

My car will have it.

Onno

18. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
  19. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    As is apparent by the posts each to his own. You really never know why someone feels as they do. One could rationalize how "bad" something is they cannot afford, while another, who can afford it and buys it, drives "unusually".

I did order the "race package" which includes the carbon steering wheel which is the most economical way to outfit the interior with carbon fiber. I too considered Mcarbon, but the owner talked me out of it. I want to say he could not have been more helpful, honest, and candid, arguably talking me out of buying from him. If I ever want parts he is the guy I will go to . His reasoning, to his credit was " why tear apart a brand new car" to replace pieces? He explained for Rahal and others, that he developed his store to outfit primarily used Ferrari's that did not have carbon fiber but the new owner wanted carbon fiber. He explained the carbon fiber manufacturing process and costs, and added that Ferrari's chargers were not outrageous.

If you cannot afford a piece, then don't buy it. If you can, decide if you like it or not. Buying a car for the next guy makes no sense, particularly since you have no idea who the next guy will be. Take a look at what some consider beautiful and you will get my point. Best

20. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Absolutely, a very useful tool when pushing it and lifts the interior.

21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    To me, the "must have" feature -- CF wheel with LED's. It's no gimmick. It's very useful. This thing revs so quickly the tach is useless.

Honestly, the tach should be an option and the LED's on the wheel standard.

I have to laugh at "how often do they light up". It's a freakin' Ferrari man! If you shift without them lighting up you just wasted $250 grand! :)

Ash Patel likes this.
  22. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Wrong. You will get it back on resale. Why? Because properly optioned cars sell faster. Faster selling cars mean higher resale values. Saying you won't is like saying you shouldn't take any options at all. That's crazy. Why do Daytona seats?

And, what's the point of having a custom car made for you if you are worried about losing value anyway? Geez the car costs $240K right out of the box. What's $4200 in the scheme of things? Hell we pay $1600 just to paint the calipers --- black! I paid $400 to have the speaker grills painted to match the interior. Four hundred bucks to spray paint two plastic grills? NUTTY!

At least with the LED wheel, you get something that's really useful.

23. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I was not going to until I took advise here, One never knows whether it will be my last F car and am glad I did.

24. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    CF steering wheel a must. Bob, told me as much and he was absolutely correct. I love it.

25. W. MITTY

W. MITTY Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2005
    Didn't order in on mine at the advice of my salesman. Said it was a bunch of bling that is prone to failure and when this happens out of warranty, is truly a deal breaker. I actually may keep my car for awhile (wife laughing in the background) so I steered away from it...

I don't blame the guys who ordered, it however. It is very cool.