458 Challenge - Sound reduction | FerrariChat

458 Challenge - Sound reduction

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by fboutlaw, Jun 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fboutlaw

fboutlaw Karting

Dec 3, 2014
    Woodside, CA
    Hi all,

- Yes this thread is blasphemy. I recognize that. Hear me out.
    - I'm in the market for a track car and the 458 challenge is at the top of my list, but the tracks around me have some draconian sound measures (Laguna Seca 92dB at the sound booth on most non-race days, Sonoma can be 96dB if the Sound person is awake)
    - From what I've read the 458 challenge runs at about 105-107 dB... so need a huge amount of sound reduction if I'm going to be able to run this car near me

Q1: Is the engine bay in a 458 challenge similar enough to the street car where I could swap on a stock exhaust (headers back)?
    Q2: Would you forsee any issues with the extra heat in the engine bay and the challenge specific components?

2. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
  3. hpstrehler

hpstrehler Rookie

Jun 13, 2013
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Hanspeter Strehler
    Hi, where can I buy these turnouts?
    Thanks for info, regards Hanspeter

4. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
  5. flagger

flagger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 24, 2011
    West Virginia
    105 - 107 is pretty loud. SCCA competition cars are limited to 103. Sonoma has an interesting twist. The winery across the road has a direct feed to the sound measurement equipment on the track with a camera. They get an alert when cars violate limits. My understanding is that it was part of a settlement with the county to keep the track functioning many years ago. (apparently they felt noise from the track disturbed winery tasters). Fortunately ownership of the winery changed hands, but the equipment is still present even if the current owner is more tolerant of track noise.

6. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    Remembering there are a lot of variables in DB readings one being cloud cover. the 458 without the optional mufflers are usually around 102. With mufflers around 92 -94. Mufflers with the turnouts gets you in the 88 range.

7. Bahb7

Bahb7 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 8, 2011
    Boston, MA area
  8. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006

Yes, can you get me a pic of the exhaust tips and a micrometer measurement of the inside ID and the depth of the tip from the very end to where it necks down,
    Pictures for reference only. Keep in mind the 430 already has an exhaust extension on it to bring it past the bumper. They added those the first season as the exhaust was reverting into the engine compartment and overheating it. I would need to make a much longer one to go in place of the existing extension.

PM me with any questions.

slightly. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    We rented Laguna for two days a few months ago, one day was limited to I believe 105db and the other was wide open/no restrictions as we were sharing the track with LMP2 cars - those cars sound incredible. For the sound limited day, 458C's were tripping the meter at WOT just under 106db. I wasn't running mufflers but added windsock's turnouts and it kept me well under the limit. Highly recommend windsock's turnouts - excellent quality and clamps make install and removal super easy.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. treynor

treynor Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ben
    We run a 458CH EVO at Laguna on a regular basis. The factory mufflers + turnout pipes pass 92db with zero issues.

11. Farbod Farmand

Nov 20, 2020
    southern California
    my 458c evo w/ muffles and turnouts is definitely <92db